Premed 101 Forums

What Smartphone are you Using in Med School?

What Smartphone are you Using in Med School?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What Smartphone are you Using in Med School?

• iPhone
    • Blackberry
    • Android
    • Other

I am going to replace my current Blackberry soon, and need to decide whether to buy another Blackberry or an iPhone.

I do not have a home phone. As such, I want to get a phone that will operate on WiFi, in order to cut down the number of daytime minutes I'm using. I am mid-contract with Rogers. However, paying the $100 early upgrade fee is worth saving all the extra minute charges I'm paying each month.

I like having the separate buttons on my Blackberry. (I have a Curve.) I also like the Blackberry Desktop Software, which I find very easy to use. However, I've been told that using a BB during clerkship will cost me a lot for data, since information isn't actually stored on the BB, but rather has to be downloaded each time you access it. Does anyone have any experience with medical programs on a BB?

Is it possible to set up the phone to operate on the different secure wireless networks that are available in the hospital? Is it easy to obtain access to these networks when doing rotations at other hospitals?

How does the iPhone work for e-mail? Is it easy to use? How is typing on the touch screen?

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

The iphone is by far superior just because it has greater flexibility in what you can do with it. The med apps are a great example of this... I have been using an older generation iphone with rogers happily for a year now.

The iphone also has no problem hooking up to the secure wireless at the hospitals. I am a preclerk and had no problem getting a wireless password after showing my id badge.

The typing is pretty easy. There is a learning curve to getting use to no buttons. But I could type on it as well as I can type on any other hand held device after a week or so.

Email works like you would expect email to work. You sync your account, school account, gmail, whatever to the phone. It's really easy.

The best part of the iphone is its online synced day planner. I have it set up for classes are automatically entered via my online faculty provided schedule. You can then sync with friend's planners too and it get an idea when they are free. It is a great tool for finding time to meet up with people who are busy (ie med students etc).

I chose the iPhone, and I have no regrets. The apps and the superior web-browsing capacity are what swayed me.

For what it's worth, quite a few of my colleagues have Blackberries, but later purchased iPod touches to have access to the App store.

Email is easy to use (though I have no experience with BB to compare it to), and I got used to the touch screen after a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does the ipod touch essentially have the same amount things you can get with an iphone (since you can use Skype and use it as a phone)?

I have a Touch and I love it ... however, I have not used the Skype feature. It comes with a mic attached to the headphones that you can use for VOIP, but I have never personally used this :)

So it can come with a lot of the medical applications iphone has? I don't really need Internet persay and the iphone plans are super expensive.

Everyone at my school uses the ipod touch. Save yourself some money.... It has all the same features minus the phone.

You dont NEED the ipthone.. people just like to spoil themselves (p.s. I agree the iphone plans are stupid expensive)

I have an iTouch and a BB Curve. I don't really use my iTouch much, but I love my Curve and its email integration and my unlimited texting plan. Synching is with iCal, mail contacts, and even media is really easy and simple too.

I wouldn't mind getting some good med apps for my iTouch though - what's recommended?

• 1 month later...

So just to keep you up to current developments, most BB running the new operating system (version 5) are able to store directly on the unit or onto micros SD cards. This was especially important for me as I am a Lexi-Comp user and value on-device storage, in an effort to keep my data charges down. I also prefer the real keyboard, and even though the screen is slightly smaller that that of an iTouch/iPhone, I find that there is less of a chance of a cracked screen - many of my clerckship collegues are finding that the iPhone screen crack rather than flex. My two cents. Good luck!

I am going to replace my current Blackberry soon, and need to decide whether to buy another Blackberry or an iPhone.

I do not have a home phone. As such, I want to get a phone that will operate on WiFi, in order to cut down the number of daytime minutes I'm using. I am mid-contract with Rogers. However, paying the $100 early upgrade fee is worth saving all the extra minute charges I'm paying each month.

I like having the separate buttons on my Blackberry. (I have a Curve.) I also like the Blackberry Desktop Software, which I find very easy to use. However, I've been told that using a BB during clerkship will cost me a lot for data, since information isn't actually stored on the BB, but rather has to be downloaded each time you access it. Does anyone have any experience with medical programs on a BB?

Is it possible to set up the phone to operate on the different secure wireless networks that are available in the hospital? Is it easy to obtain access to these networks when doing rotations at other hospitals?

How does the iPhone work for e-mail? Is it easy to use? How is typing on the touch screen?

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

I love, love, love my iphone. It's super easy to write emails on it. I find it easier than my old phone, which was an HTC with a full physical keyboard. The user interface is really exceptionally nicely done, it's just a pleasure to use all the time. It's easy and pleasant to use the internet, and I find it easy and convenient to use uptodate through Safari. The app store makes it easy to find good medical applications quickly. I particularly like the "pretest" series implementation for iphone -- outstanding interface with the same content as the paper versions of the texts.

• 1 month later...
I have a Touch and I love it ... however, I have not used the Skype feature. It comes with a mic attached to the headphones that you can use for VOIP, but I have never personally used this :)

I was using an iTouch with Skype as my sole method of communication while backpacking. It works really well, and you can just walk down the street until you find an unsecured AP for the weekly call home. Its no replacement for an actual phone line tho.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When is the iPhone 4 coming out in Canada? I heard it will be delayed yet again.

Mid-July is what I was told by the Roger's CSR. This was a few weeks ago however so if there was a more recent delay it may have changed this.

iphone seems to be the most popular phone at western. I must admit that surfing the web is a lot better on the iphone, but when it comes to emails and typing - I would never give my bb away.

I think the BB Talladega will a nice combination of the two. A large touch screen for surfing the web and a slide out keyboard for e-mails/texts.

• 3 months later...

I need to get myself a new phone because my blackberry storm isn't working. I'm looking towards either an iphone or an android phone.

Opinions?

P.S. I don't know how people did it before phones.. i use it to set up study groups, hang with friends, call my fam back home... jesus.

Archived