Premed 101 Forums

Casper

Seems interesting enough. I wonder what kinds of questions they will ask. I also wonder if you have to make it through the filters before they even look at your answers. Like if you don't meet mcat cutoff they automatically wont look at your caser file.

I doubt that because CASper is worth %46 of your pre-Interview score.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are GPAs so unreliable?

Some schools are known for giving out As like candy. Easy Program + Easy Classes=4.0

Other schools *cough*UofT*cough* are known for their academic rigour.

It's really unfair sometimes. I think we need more standardized testing in Canada. This is especially true for high school.

Seems interesting enough. I wonder what kinds of questions they will ask. I also wonder if you have to make it through the filters before they even look at your answers. Like if you don't meet mcat cutoff they automatically wont look at your caser file.

Absolutely. You need to have met the VR = or > 6 and GPA = or > than 3.0. If not, CASPer will not be scored, and your application will be thrown out.

The previous stats that I posted were mentioned at the information session, btw.

where did you get that latest statistic from?

Yah, that stat is from the info session .... although to be more specific, she (Wendy Edge) said that she wasn't entirely sure because they're just calculating those stats now, but that it's smth like 3.81 - 3.82 (which is where I'm guessing you got 3.815 from)

Also, apparently there's another Casper test trail happening in August that ppl can sign up for!

I remember doing the beta testing for this last year, and a lot of the answers are actually "learned" in medical school. What's to stop someone from getting his/her physician parent or med school friend from doing this for them?

I guess the typing signature is supposed to prevent that. But again, what's stopping from someone standing behind the person and instruct them what to type? I actually like the idea of personality testing but hate the thought that I will be potentially be the first batch of guinea pigs to test a somewhat unproven system(based on the beta tester testmonies).

Some schools are known for giving out As like candy. Easy Program + Easy Classes=4.0

Other schools *cough*UofT*cough* are known for their academic rigour.

It's really unfair sometimes. I think we need more standardized testing in Canada. This is especially true for high school.

I actually agree on that one, and to be honest, there already is that wonderful standardized test in the MCAT that we have to evaluate. Certainly it isn't perfect but I don't see very many people with horrendous GPAs coming out with 40s, so there certainly is something to it.

Any additional measures to evaluate your ability to be a Doctor seems like a good idea, but these anonymous systems seem just a little bit sketchy for my liking.

Ya, this is really shocking!

Avg. GPA of 2013 class was roughly 3.815 and VR = 10.85.

So, avg. GPA dropped from 3.89 (66% weighting) to 3.815 (32% weighting). Will next year be below 3.8 at 25% weighting?? :eek:

McMaster seem to have a handle on things, have always been at the forefront in terms of applications to med school, e.g., the MMI which is now the accepted standard almost everywhere, and so, they are dealing again with this innovation. I believe their research has shown that the ABS is not all that reliable and that there is no guarantee that the Answers are the result of the applicant's work.

Yah, that stat is from the info session .... although to be more specific, she (Wendy Edge) said that she wasn't entirely sure because they're just calculating those stats now, but that it's smth like 3.81 - 3.82 (which is where I'm guessing you got 3.815 from)

Correct. I was just too lazy to write that.

Can anyone test it? Or just med students...if people applying can try it this seems like it could lead to an unfair advantage to those who have tried vs those who have not

Your question and observation is fair enough, although I would imagine the questions will change. Find out if anyone can do it and if so, well, there is an advantage to let them experiment with those who are willing.

Can anyone test it? Or just med students...if people applying can try it this seems like it could lead to an unfair advantage to those who have tried vs those who have not

Yup! I sent Wendy an email today and I'm signed up for the trial run... I'll be applying this fall. I think it's totally an advantage to test it out and see how you react to the situations presented and how you find the whole system... obviously there will be different questions come application time, but certainly a great opportunity to see what it's all about!

Anyone with a computer can write it. You don't get any feedback, but you get a look at what it is like, so it is helpful. Just email Wendy. I know they will be looking for a lot more testers soon.

Yup! I sent Wendy an email today and I'm signed up for the trial run... I'll be applying this fall. I think it's totally an advantage to test it out and see how you react to the situations presented and how you find the whole system... obviously there will be different questions come application time, but certainly a great opportunity to see what it's all about!

Hey...where did you find Wendy's e-mail address??

I have to wonder how accurate a typing signature would be. My speed and keystrokes depend on the keyboard I'm using and how comfortable I am with it. I'm much faster and more efficient on my laptop than a standard PC keyboard. Since they're not going to be comparing apples to apples.... I sense a problem!

I have to wonder how accurate a typing signature would be. My speed and keystrokes depend on the keyboard I'm using and how comfortable I am with it. I'm much faster and more efficient on my laptop than a standard PC keyboard. Since they're not going to be comparing apples to apples.... I sense a problem!

yes, but you won't be switching keyboards in the middle of casper though

exactly, leescait. That is a perfect example.

Furthermore, there are several hypothetical examples that I could think of where a 3.7 GPA student could have been involved in something really, really significant, that may have impacted the lives of thousands of underprivileged people all across the country (obviously, I am using an extreme example to illustrate my point), only to have an interview spot given to someone who spent 10 hours a day studying while their parents did all of their cooking/laundry/general life chores.

The way the application process is set up, it seems that there is no way for that first student to demonstrate why they deserve an interview just as much as the 4.0 student.

I can guarantee that the first student would gain admissions to some medical school. Everyone needs to stop complaining about the imperfection of the admissions process. If you are a truly qualified applicant (by Canada's standards), you will get in, even if it takes 2 application cycles. If you are good enough, and complain that it is too much of a lottery, well then you should have done better in school.

Everyone needs to stop complaining about the imperfection of the admissions process.

Why? What is wrong with a few comlaints written on a public forum? I believe it is the intelligent confutation or explaination from experienced med/pre-med students in response to the complaints that make them, in fact, worthwhile.

If you are a truly qualified applicant (by Canada's standards), you will get in, even if it takes 2 application cycles.

Correct. Thanks for that.

If you are good enough, and complain that it is too much of a lottery, well then you should have done better in school.

What? Does that sentence make sense?

I am sure that there are numerous students with a 4.0 GPA that have complained about the luck component involved in med apps.

I don't think it is a lottery at all, actually. You simply have to mold your application to fit the criteria that med schools set, wich is a high GPA, MCAT, and how they evaluate everything else seems somehwat arbitrary (probably because it is so difficult to do, as other posters have established for us).

It seems like the adcom is trying to save themselves in the event that CASPer breaks down on them.

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through CASPer and have it fail on you halfway through because of bandwidth or other technical issues.

+1 I'm interested to know what the back up plan for this is, and I'd hope the answer wouldn't be a "oh well, that's life". If the backup plan is to simply use the ABsketch, then you could have applicants who don't want to do CASPer taking advantage of this, so it shouldn't be that.

Also, I'd imagine they should be checking the "typing signature" with some decent frequently, because if not, then it can definitely induce some cheating (especially getting someone else to take the test for you altogether)... maybe they'll do a few random samples? hmm. Otherwise, I'm curious, under what circumstances would they actually be checking typing signatures? Or is it mainly a deterrent?

Moreover, the website states "Research has demonstrated that working in tandem with others does not improve average CASPer scores", and while this might be true for a majority of cases, I can see the applicant typing and a very good "helper" on the side doing a significantly better job than average in a few cases...

Archived