Premed 101 Forums

Casper

Correct me if I am wrong, but after reading some of the reasearch (only abstracts), it appears that Mac is using the fact that CASPer has shown to be a good predictor of MMI performance, and MMI performance is a good predictor of practical performance in the clinical setting, to suggest that CASPer itself is a good measure of practical performance in the clinical setting. If A=B=C, then A=C.

I wish I understood statistical r values a little more (which is why what I am about to say may be completely incorrect), becasue it seems as though the error associated with CASPer's predictability of clinical performance would be a lot less than they suggest, only because the error in the logic of A=C would actually be the product of the error of A=B times B=C, which they didn't seem to present. Am I completely wrong, or thinking about this way too much? lol

I read a few abstracts as well (maybe I'll read the full articles later) and while there appeared to be a strong relationship between casper and test generalization, the Pearson's correlations between casper performance and MMI performance didn't appear to be very strong (although statistical significance was reached). While the studies didn't examine the direct error in their A=C logic, I would infer, based on the results, that the error associated with casper's predictability would actually be greater than what they suggest. However, the potential difference in error doesn't change the validity of the test in terms of statistical significance, therefore supporting the use of casper as a predictor of MMI and clinical performance.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:P

Are you allowed to answer this question:

Can you access the internet/microsoft word when you are logged into CASper?

Seeing as you only get 5 minutes to type your answer per question, I don't think access to the internet would be useful. There wouldn't be enough time.

When I did the beta testing thing, I played around with what i could do with the time (i felt a bit bad because i didnt take it all too seriously :o ). I did some google searching on the topic, tried to copy and paste stuff from typing in MS word to the program.

As people have said, you really dont have time to do any of this! You have like 2 seconds to think and just upchuck an answer.

Of course there will be significant correlation between the CASPer and MMI scores - they're basically the same exercise!

One thing is for sure - the MMI itself will be much more competitive in 2011, as CASPer will have already picked out students who are going to do well in that setting. Sounds like Mac has a LOT of faith in the MMI considering that they're moulding their entire selection process around it.

Of course there will be significant correlation between the CASPer and MMI scores - they're basically the same exercise!

One thing is for sure - the MMI itself will be much more competitive in 2011, as CASPer will have already picked out students who are going to do well in that setting. Sounds like Mac has a LOT of faith in the MMI considering that they're moulding their entire selection process around it.

Well, it's a format to get used to I suppose. We had our first OSCE this week and it was basically a clinical skills MMI... so they don't go away!

2010/11 Formulae

Formula 1 - 25% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 25% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 46% CASPer Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).**

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

**If CASPer is not used this year (i.e. due to major technical problems), the 2009/10 Formula 1 will be implemented, as follows:32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD)

Looks like another drastic change in the pre-MMI selection process for next cycle! :eek:

EDIT: Source: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/selection_process.html

It seems like the adcom is trying to save themselves in the event that CASPer breaks down on them.

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through CASPer and have it fail on you halfway through because of bandwidth or other technical issues.

2010/11 Formulae

Formula 1 - 25% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 25% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 46% CASPer Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).**

Looks like another drastic change in the pre-MMI selection process for next cycle! :eek:

I'm kind of happy about this...because CASPer will be worth so much, it could help off-set a mediocre VR score. Granted, that's only if I do well on it lol

Wow. I should have made more of an effort to get onto CASPER before the deadline - I'm fairly curious now.

2010/11 Formulae

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

**If CASPer is not used this year (i.e. due to major technical problems), the 2009/10 Formula 1 will be implemented, as follows:32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD)

2010/11 Formulae

Hmm -- so are they going to get everyone to do an ABS if/when screws up? I wonder how that is going to work.

"Video-clips and prompting questions may change from

date-to-date and from time-slot to time-slot. Typing

signatures from applicant responses are recorded.

Subsequently, interviewed applicants will be required

to type short-answer responses to questions for

signature comparison. Research has demonstrated

that working in tandem with others does not improve

average CASPer scores."

Just curious, what is a typing signature?

average CASPer scores."

I think a typing signature is generated from recording your every key stroke in order to generate an impression of "how" you type (your speed, habits, etc.). Since every person types in a different way, this signature can be used as a unique identifier.

average CASPer scores."

Whatever it is, seems pretty cool!

Wow. I should have made more of an effort to get onto CASPER before the deadline - I'm fairly curious now.

I'll show you sometime, in the fall! ;):)

Hmm -- so are they going to get everyone to do an ABS if/when screws up? I wonder how that is going to work.

Yep, for 2011 entry, all applicants will have to complete both the traditional ABS and CASPer.

My guess?

Perhaps the way you write (type) is compared (off-site w/ CASPer and on-site during interview day) to ensure that they "match".

Its actually a pretty shocking drop in the value of GPA pre-MMI at mac in the last 2 years--66% to 33% and now 25%! This used to be the gpa school, now it seems gpa hardy matters

I thought this, as well. :eek:

Its actually a pretty shocking drop in the value of GPA pre-MMI at mac in the last 2 years--66% to 33% and now 25%! This used to be the gpa school, now it seems gpa hardy matters

Ya, this is really shocking!

Avg. GPA of 2013 class was roughly 3.815 and VR = 10.85.

So, avg. GPA dropped from 3.89 (66% weighting) to 3.815 (32% weighting). Will next year be below 3.8 at 25% weighting?? :eek:

Ya, this is really shocking!

Avg. GPA of 2013 class was roughly 3.815 and VR = 10.85.

So, avg. GPA dropped from 3.89 (66% weighting) to 3.815 (32% weighting). Will next year be below 3.8 at 25% weighting?? :eek:

where did you get that latest statistic from?

Seems interesting enough. I wonder what kinds of questions they will ask. I also wonder if you have to make it through the filters before they even look at your answers. Like if you don't meet mcat cutoff they automatically wont look at your caser file.

Archived