Premed 101 Forums

Casper

I was hoping someone could clarify registering for Casper for me. I understand from the OMSAS booklet that once we register with OMSAS, McMaster automatically registers us for CASPER? Does this mean that we have to submit our entire OMSAS application prior to September 1st in order to be automatically registered for CASPER or just so long as we have created an account with OMSAS? Also, does anyone know if we get some kind of ID prior to September 1st when signing up for the time slots?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update from McMaster website in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

The CASPer dates are Sunday, October 24, 2010 and Wednesday, October 27, 2010 and there will be several time slots on each day. You will be required to register for one date and one time slot - these are available on a first-come first-serve basis beginning Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at http://casper.mcmaster.ca. Please note: In order to facilitate seamless registration for CASPer dates and time slots on a first-come-first-serve basis, adjustments to the system have been made to allow registration beginning Tuesday, October 12, 2010 ant NOT beginning September 1, 2010 as previously advertised. In order to register for your CASPer time slot beginning October 12th, you will need your OMSAS number and the email address you registered with OMSAS. Only 2010/11 McMaster MD applicants who have submitted an application via OMSAS are eligible to complete CASPer.

• 2 weeks later...
"In order to register for your CASPer time slot beginning October 12th, you will need your OMSAS number and the email address you registered with OMSAS. Only 2010/11 McMaster MD applicants who have submitted an application via OMSAS are eligible to complete CASPer."

Soo I'm guessing that on the 12th, there will be a space to input our OMSAS number and email in order to register.

ahh i see... they've already set up the log in here: http://casper.mcmaster.ca/home/

I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but if I hope to be going to an MMI this year, would doing CASPer help with my prep?

Here's the real question- should I apply to McMaster this year for the sole purpose of gaining MMI practice? I don't really have a shot at Mac, I don't think. :)

If you meet the minimum requirements for Mac, then I think you should apply. It's only something like $70 more if you're already applying to other Ontario schools, and with CASPer counting for such a high percentage of your score, you might have a better shot than you think. I would think it would be at least a bit helpful for the MMI practice, and if nothing else you get your first experience with something like that out of the way so you might be a bit less nervous when you get to your first interview. :)

Actually, I don;t think I meet them becuase I have a 0.87GPA from 1999, and I assume it will stay on my record. I'm only applying to Queens (maybe), and perhaps NOSM (I have only recently decided to start looking into the ON schools- I'm a long shot this year but a lock for next year at Queens.

I've started on my OMSAS app, and I just finished the UBC app, so I would pretty much just have to spend one god day working on it to get it ready. No big deal.

I think that applying to Mac to do CASPer would actually be worth it for the practice, and the possible upper hand at the UBC interviews. :)

edited to add that the "special applicant pool" is on hold for this cycle, which is what I would use if I wanted them to discount my bad year from 11 yrs ago.

I fail to see how this method prevents outside help. There's nothing stopping someone from helping by dictating the correct response.

Simply put, time prevents the advantage of outside help. Time is the enemy on CASPer. If you are going to be typing what someone dictates, you will be trying to listen to them while formulating your own ideas or answers. It will be a gong show trying to put together something coherent that way.

Here is my concern with the Capser.... I'm applying for jobs all across Ontario at the moment, including some that are far North and in areas with poor internet access. If I am successful in my job search and relocate to one of these areas, I am extremely worried that my ability to complete the Casper will be compromised. I am concerned that Mac does not offer any standardized testing sites... they could be really useful for people who have little control over their surroundings/ internet access.

I have to wonder how accurate a typing signature would be. My speed and keystrokes depend on the keyboard I'm using and how comfortable I am with it. I'm much faster and more efficient on my laptop than a standard PC keyboard. Since they're not going to be comparing apples to apples.... I sense a problem!

yes, but you won't be switching keyboards in the middle of casper though

What I mean is... they will take my typing signature when I complete the test at home. Later, if I go to interview at Mac, they will take my typing signature using a keyboard at the interview which will be different from the one that I use at home.

What I mean is... they will take my typing signature when I complete the test at home. Later, if I go to interview at Mac, they will take my typing signature using a keyboard at the interview which will be different from the one that I use at home.
Typing signature also includes the way you formulate your sentences. Everyone's sentence structure/grammar is slightly different.

But honestly, I think the whole "typing signature" is a scare tactic to discourage you from getting someone else to do CASPer for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the same person will be marking everyone of our questions is there a different person marking each question? The reason I ask is that although I'll try to avoid it, I might get into the habit of pattern-writing where I might use similar explanations for two questions or same paragraph structure for each question.

I'd assume its the latter as that is how MMI is constructed but if anyone knows, please speak up.

They use separate graders for each question.

so, even though they use seperate graders...........does only one person confirm with the verifers....issue is ..i am a nursing student and all my examples are nursing based with the same preceptor as the verifier for each of the 5 questions.....i have been suggested to use atleast 1 or 2 non-nursing examples to expand my experiences...also it has been suggested that one verifier is less credible than 5 different verifiers....

issue is that i only have the one preceptor who can prove my examples and i donthave many other examples.....plus, its too ltate to start my answers from scratch and find verifiers....

even if i dno find verifiers they may not remember the tiny examples from over 2 yrs ago.

also, if the graders are different per question, would it really matter if all are nurisng related answers and all have the same verifier? 5 different ppl will have access to the info anyway and will not figure out that i my life has been nursing focused with only one verifier.

any comments? suggestions?

Archived