Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Medical Schools and the MCAT

Hello,

So I wrote the MCAT last year and got a 30M. I would like to go to UBC as my first choice but will apply everywhere this year. I applied to UBC last year for my first ever med application and i got an interview but was rejected after. This year i am thinking of rewriting my mcat but am wondering if it is worth paying another 200 bucks as I am short on cash right now.

Does anyone know how much canadian med schools care about the M in my mcat score? Any advice? Should i rewrite?

Thanks!

:)

UBC doesnt care MCAT as any other school does

if you apply for ubc only, you should be fine

but if you wanna apply for any other school in Canada, a higher MCAT will give you a better chance

Wonder whats your mark for each part

say UT they require 10 for each part(correct me if Im wrong, but thats what I remember), unless you have 10+10+10 otherwise you cant apply

UBC doesnt care MCAT as any other school does

if you apply for ubc only, you should be fine

but if you wanna apply for any other school in Canada, a higher MCAT will give you a better chance

Wonder whats your mark for each part

say UT they require 10 for each part(correct me if Im wrong, but thats what I remember), unless you have 10+10+10 otherwise you cant apply

My score was VR 8 PS 12 BS 10 and the M

Hello,

So I wrote the MCAT last year and got a 30M. I would like to go to UBC as my first choice but will apply everywhere this year. I applied to UBC last year for my first ever med application and i got an interview but was rejected after. This year i am thinking of rewriting my mcat but am wondering if it is worth paying another 200 bucks as I am short on cash right now.

Does anyone know how much canadian med schools care about the M in my mcat score? Any advice? Should i rewrite?

Thanks!

:)

Same situation, except I ended up with a 29S. I'm not rewriting though.

http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Admission_Requirements.htm#The MCAT

Effective this application cycle, UBC requires a minimum of 7 in each section and an M on the written section. So you are above the minimum threshold, but by no means competitive. I would rewrite.

I actually dont think ubc looks at MCAT that much, but maybe its getting more and more important.

Ive heard people going in UBC with really bad MCAT mark, but that was two years ago

UBC has hard MCAT cutoffs now. This is brand new starting this year.

Well the 7's across the board and the M really aren't very hard cutoffs. The question I have is i got that M on my essay. I know that I passed the cutoff because it says and M and above is ok. ALso, i got an interview last application cycle. I just want to know...now that I got an M and passed the cutoff, does anyone think that me not being admitted after the interview had a lot to do with that M. I know my NAQ score was pretty low.

Should I continue to work on my NAQ? And hope that my MCAT score is not too important (past the cutoff)?

Or... should i rewrite and work on my NAQ?

Not sure what to do with that M? Also, does anyone have any pointers on the writing sample section? If i do rewrite. I was told that my essays were average to above average when i was practicing, i know on the day of the mcat, i felt i didn't write my best essays, but i didn't expect an M.

Well the 7's across the board and the M really aren't very hard cutoffs. The question I have is i got that M on my essay. I know that I passed the cutoff because it says and M and above is ok. ALso, i got an interview last application cycle. I just want to know...now that I got an M and passed the cutoff, does anyone think that me not being admitted after the interview had a lot to do with that M. I know my NAQ score was pretty low.

Should I continue to work on my NAQ? And hope that my MCAT score is not too important (past the cutoff)?

MCAT or NAQ that is your decision but I can tell you that your MCAT did not play that major of a role. I got in this cycle with a low VR (just below this year's cutoff) I have a good feeling that it did affect my ranking but I doubt that they invited you to the interview just to reject you based on your MCAT.

Obviously higher MCATs and higher NAQs would both help your application, and if you have to choose one, I would suggest working on the one that will help your application more!

• 2 weeks later...
MCAT or NAQ that is your decision but I can tell you that your MCAT did not play that major of a role. I got in this cycle with a low VR (just below this year's cutoff) I have a good feeling that it did affect my ranking but I doubt that they invited you to the interview just to reject you based on your MCAT.

Obviously higher MCATs and higher NAQs would both help your application, and if you have to choose one, I would suggest working on the one that will help your application more!

Really good advise. Thanks! Your right, they wouldn't invite me for an interview and then reject me cuz of the M. So i have decided to rewrite and work on my NAQ. Although I am so busy with my NAQ work that I try to fill time with MCAT studying. Hopefully i can do a bit better on it and get a good application for this cycle.

Archived