Premed 101 Forums

curious: how many people have 1st author pulication?

Genemo

Very, very few people applying to medical school will have first author publications. I have several, but that's only because I did a Master's before I decided to go into med. I would say cases like mine are by far the minority. Don't get all wound up trying to find opportunities for first-authorships. If you're looking into research opportunities, try to find things that interest and excite you, and look at pubs as little bonuses that may or may not result from doing work you enjoy.

I wouldn't expect a first author publication by just doing an NSERC for one summer. In my three years of summer work, I didn't get any. If you worked consistently in the same lab over a couple years - maybe. But most undergrads really don't have the time to put in the work to get a first authorship. The lab work is only a small part of the whole process.

That being said, I do have first author publications going in to med school. But I got those during grad school

quality of work and publications are really hard to correlate. Some research is very fast to do. A sexy publication can come out of very little work if its novel and interesting. Other times (and more often the case), it takes longer. I've been working on one study that started in 2008 that is just being written up for publication NOW.

So, long story short, I'll agree with a previous poster that it really depends on the nature of the research how easy/hard it will be to get your work published.

It doesnt look easy to me to get a 1st author publication anywhere.

No, it's not easy.

I wonder how many people actually have this?

I have a couple, but I'm a grad student. It's possible to get one during undergrad, but not likely. There's a lot of luck involved, no matter how good you are.

If I may ask another question, should a student expect 1st author publication by doing NSERC?

haha, no way. With a 4-month NSERC, you're lucky if you just get on a paper! It's *possible* if you're really lucky, but definitely don't expect it.

thx for input, Starling

I wonder how many publications, esp 1st author publications a grad student can get during two years of master program? (if this question is not too stupid lol) thx!

You're welcome. :) From what I've seen in my lab, people usually get a 1st author paper from their M.Sc. work (although it's usually not published till after they're done) and often get tacked onto other papers. There aren't any guarantees though!

you mean you have a 1st author?

Yes, I have a 1st author publication, as well as 2 other non-1st author ones - all from the same lab. I only worked in that lab for 1 NSERC and a little bit part-time during the year.

On the other hand, I have 0 publications in the other lab that I did 1 NSERC, 1 coop placement, and my honours project in. My work was supposed to have gotten published after some tweaking, but I'm still waiting to hear back about it. I think my project got hijacked by someone else.

It's doable but highly dependent on the lab you work for.

This. I've done research with 3 different PIs:

(1) 4th year project supervisor - didn't really push publications, not even for his grad students (I'm pretty sure that each MSc student published only one paper and it towards the end of their term and most PhD students published 3 maybe 4 publish); project students/summer students did not publish

(2) summer research project supervisor - gave us enough responsibility to earn authorship, but not primary authorship

(3) MSc supervisor - gives students their own projects for which they are responsible - he is there for guidance; encourages undergrad and grad students to publish (ownership = authorship)

quality of work and publications are really hard to correlate. Some research is very fast to do. A sexy publication can come out of very little work if its novel and interesting. Other times (and more often the case), it takes longer. I've been working on one study that started in 2008 that is just being written up for publication NOW.

And it's going to be a kick ass pub when it's out mikey. :D

Yes, I have a 1st author publication, as well as 2 other non-1st author ones - all from the same lab. I only worked in that lab for 1 NSERC and a little bit part-time during the year.

On the other hand, I have 0 publications in the other lab that I did 1 NSERC, 1 coop placement, and my honours project in. My work was supposed to have gotten published after some tweaking, but I'm still waiting to hear back about it. I think my project got hijacked by someone else.

woo nice~ you must be smart and hard-working, and really lucky

woo nice~ you must be smart and hard-working, and really lucky

Luck is definitely a huge factor in terms of my publications. I worked very hard, and for much longer in the second lab I mentioned, and even had some insight I included in my thesis... But like I said, 0 publications from it so far!

I worked in one lab for a year and one for 2 years and didnt get any pubs at all, never mind a 1st author. In fact, at the one I worked at for 2 years, the prof pretty consistently said he was "about to publish" my work, and still hasnt.

Not that it really matters since I got into meds this year anyway, but to me, its just one more reason im glad I didnt go to grad school

Luck is definitely a huge factor in terms of my publications. I worked very hard, and for much longer in the second lab I mentioned, and even had some insight I included in my thesis... But like I said, 0 publications from it so far!

Ive been working in two labs for really long time each (by long I mean looooong lol). I didnt expect to have publication, not to mention 1st author. Its just people are talking about publication after 4months NSERC makes me thinking if I should expect more.

I worked in one lab for a year and one for 2 years and didnt get any pubs at all, never mind a 1st author. In fact, at the one I worked at for 2 years, the prof pretty consistently said he was "about to publish" my work, and still hasnt.

Not that it really matters since I got into meds this year anyway, but to me, its just one more reason im glad I didnt go to grad school

I love research. Its just so sad that researchers are not recognized or rewarded enough.

I love research. Its just so sad that researchers are not recognized or rewarded enough.

It really is tragic. Seeing people with PhD's in one of my labs in their late 30s making under 30,000 a year really opened my eyes though. Its not like its just somewhat less compensation than for med school, the differences are extreme

Archived