Premed 101 Forums

curious: how many people have 1st author pulication?

Genemo

When you guys say publications are you referring to the finished paper itself or having it actually published in a journal? I'm working in a lab right now and I was told my name would be in the paper, but if it doesn't get submitted can I still say its been published? Or only that I worked on a paper but it never got anywhere?

When you guys say publications are you referring to the finished paper itself or having it actually published in a journal? I'm working in a lab right now and I was told my name would be in the paper, but if it doesn't get submitted can I still say its been published? Or only that I worked on a paper but it never got anywhere?

I think I mean published paper. Paper in writing is exciting for who did the research but it doesnt really mean anything to other people.

When you guys say publications are you referring to the finished paper itself or having it actually published in a journal?

Published in a journal, or at least accepted for publication.

I'm working in a lab right now and I was told my name would be in the paper, but if it doesn't get submitted can I still say its been published?

No, if it isn't published, don't say it is! If it hasn't been accepted for publication, it doesn't really count for anything. Sometimes you can get away with saying "submitted", but that's not really worth much.

Published in a journal, or at least accepted for publication.

No, if it isn't published, don't say it is! If it hasn't been accepted for publication, it doesn't really count for anything. Sometimes you can get away with saying "submitted", but that's not really worth much.

exactly. But what ever you do, don't ever, EVER, say that you have a publication "in progress"

exactly. But what ever you do, don't ever, EVER, say that you have a publication "in progress"

You can still say that it's under-review. U of T actually asks you to enter your journal submissions for their graduate supplementary package. I think it's one way for schools to guage grad school productivity.

I guess it all depends on how much emphasis you put on research in your app... If you want to make research a cornerstone of your app... then trying to say that a pub is in progress will look like you are just trying to pad your resume and make yourself to be more awesome than you actually are. And then the adcoms will have every reason to rip into you

You can still say that it's under-review. U of T actually asks you to enter your journal submissions for their graduate supplementary package. I think it's one way for schools to guage grad school productivity.

no law I meant "in progress" as in "I'm in the process of preparing a manuscript" as opposed to "I've actually submitted the damn thing", which is a hell of a big difference

no law I meant "in progress" as in "I'm in the process of preparing a manuscript" as opposed to "I've actually submitted the damn thing", which is a hell of a big difference

LOL, oh "in progress"... sorry I misunderstood! If I could say "in progress" I'd say I have 10 manuscripts going at the same time. [OK not really, but you know what i mean] :P

• 2 years later...

so if I did some unpaid research that did not result in any publication, would not go into research? instead it would be extra-curricular?

• 2 weeks later...

I have submitted a paper for publication as first author and I submitted the abstract to an international conference, it will likely get approved. I have to admit, publishing by third year of undergrad is tough and requires a lot of commitment. I have spent 2 years in a lab and countless days/ weeks preparing/ writing the paper. From what I know, it is rare for undergrads to publish, and it really only should be done if your are interested in research in the first place. I am really sick of some of the premeds on here asking how to get publications and thinking that it should be handed to them to pad there stinking little resumes.

1st author publication by first semester of 3th year undergrad.....went to an international conference as a speaker also third year as well. Got accepted into a research fellowship at a Top 5 biomedical research institution with a 2% acceptance rate during my third year. ...another co-first author review paper on stem cell/regenerative medicine during my fourth year.

It's very much doable....You just have to work hard.

Don't lead people astray here with your subtle superiority complex. More importantly, for undergrads wanting to get a 1st author paper, is luck. Quite a few profs won't let an undergrad be 1st author period. Even 4th year students don't really know what they're doing with research. The majority of profs wouldn't let a 2nd year be 1st author as they simply do not know the fundamentals of research or the field by 2nd year (I anticipate a response from you on this point, so I state in advance that I don't care how much you think you knew about research or your area of research back then. Following a recipe book doesn't make you a chef). So, consider yourself lucky, regardless of how hard you worked.

Don't lead people astray here with your subtle superiority complex. More importantly, for undergrads wanting to get a 1st author paper, is luck. Quite a few profs won't let an undergrad be 1st author period. Even 4th year students don't really know what they're doing with research. The majority of profs wouldn't let a 2nd year be 1st author as they simply do not know the fundamentals of research or the field by 2nd year (I anticipate a response from you on this point, so I state in advance that I don't care how much you think you knew about research or your area of research back then. Following a recipe book doesn't make you a chef). So, consider yourself lucky, regardless of how hard you worked.

Hey Osteon, where are you MD/PhD?

agreed. and it's not that "subtle"

Yeah, like there were some profs that wanted to do cross disciplinary stuff (they were in social and humanities psych) that would have let me run the project, but i already had like some years of research in bio psych, so social sciences it's possible much more so in non basic science... design, stats, networking with say imaging guys to do a bio-social psych laison... very diff than learning basic lab skills in basic science... that takes way longer

Perhaps it varies according to the field of research - I could see this happening in a non-basic science environment, where the student is in charge of their own project (writing/computer-based) under direct faculty supervision.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have 4 first author publications in mid-high impact journals published/accepted and 2 additional ones submitted- BUT I'm also starting my 4th year of grad school. Honestly, it does depend a lot on area and experimental design and also quite frankly luck, in addition to time commitment to get a first author paper. As an undergrad, with all you have going on, I'm not sure it's feasible to have a first author publication given the time constraints. My personal opinion as well as many other academics also feel that if you're first author on a paper with only 2-4 authors, that says a lot more than being first author on a paper with 10 authors - there have even been research studies looking at this issue.

With that being said, I know labs that do a lot of paper/presentation padding where basically everyone in the lab is included on a paper as an author even if they only proofreaded one paragraph - if you're lucky enough to find one of these labs you could get 2nd, 3rd beyond author.

Archived