Premed 101 Forums

Back to undergrad?

Hi everyone,

I need some advice/stories of people who went back to undergrad to raise their GPA.

I'm currently a grad student and will be done next summer.

My GPA is undergrad is not up to par as i'd like it to be. Briefly:

1st year: 3.14

2nd year: 3.2

3rd year: 3.68

4th year: 3.89.

My grad GPA is a 4.0.

This year will be my first time applying to med school, but I have a feeling my GPA is going to keep me out. My MCAT is good (34S) and so are my extra-cirriculars.

I've been toying with the idea of going back to undergrad after finishing my MSc to raise my GPA (if I don't get in this upcoming year). Has anyone ever done this and does anyone know how this is viewed? Ive heard of people with lower undergrad GPA's raising it by going back and getting in.

I've looked into it, and I have a minor in psychology from undergrad...so I could potentially finish a BSc or a BA in psychology in under a year (7 or 8 courses depending on which one I take).

Any thoughts or ideas from people who have done this path? Is it a waste of time and how do universities view it?

Thanks everyone. It's definitely a humbling experience to go back to undergrad after being in grad school.....lol.

I don't know much about that but have you tried applying the last cycle? Did you get interviews. If you are Albertan you would have reasonable chances of getting interviews with your stats:

For Calgary, your GPA is ~3.5. People certainly get in with that sort of GPA - it is slightly lower than the average.

For Edmonton, your GPA is ~3.6. Same as above; although if this year's cuttof is used you're quite a bit below the average (3.9) but your MSc would give you a tiny boost.

There is also a school in Ontario (western, I think?) that uses your best 2 years (3.78), so you might have reasonable chances there as well.

p.s. sorry for the sidetrack.

I don't know much about that but have you tried applying the last cycle? Did you get interviews. If you are Albertan you would have reasonable chances of getting interviews with your stats:

For Calgary, your GPA is ~3.5. People certainly get in with that sort of GPA - it is slightly lower than the average.

For Edmonton, your GPA is ~3.6. Same as above; although if this year's cuttof is used you're quite a bit below the average (3.9) but your MSc would give you a tiny boost.

There is also a school in Ontario (western, I think?) that uses your best 2 years (3.78), so you might have reasonable chances there as well.

Hey thanks for the reply. No I have never applied but I will be applying this cycle. Yes i'm an Alberta IP; but I just worry my GPA would be my downside. Essentially, i'm trying to decide between doing more undergrad to raise the GPA and doing a PhD; but I worry the latter won't really help the GPA situation at all.

I guess it never hurts to apply. =P.

Wont make the cut for western as western require EACh of the 2 years meet the cut off. In OP's case, the 3.68 in third year won't make the 3.7 cut. He needs 1 more year for Western.

If you do another year you would be able to apply for queens and western. Since your last year is good.

I second this... You can do a 'special year' / victory lap. Just make sure all the courses you take are at the third or fourth year level.

Assuming your MCAT was balanced, you'd be good for both Western and Queens.

Wont make the cut for western as western require EACh of the 2 years meet the cut off. In OP's case, the 3.68 in third year won't make the 3.7 cut. He needs 1 more year for Western.

Yup - but I have to chime in with the conditional acceptance thing - he/she could still apply this year and complete the conditional year during the review phase.

Archived