Premed 101 Forums

Interview Experiences (In lieu of interviewfeedback.com)

Guest MayFlower1

Guest Tanya24

UOMeds05, Peter, and doctorfunk,

You guys are the best -- thanks for the encouragement.:) I guess there is no way to know how you did post-interview. They did have my sketch highlighted all over the place; I guess I just expected them to ask more about it than they did. And I didn't expect them to be writing furiously the whole time I was talking. Perhaps this was meant to rattle me. Well it worked!! :) Peter, I would be honoured to be your classmate next yeat, so good luck with the interview on Friday! Doctorfunk, congrats on being finished and good luck-- hope to see you in Sept as well. UOMeds05, your advice as a student who's "been there" not that long ago is deeply appreciated, as always. Thanks again, you guys.

Tanya.

ps- I loved Ottawa, but I hope it isn't usually this COLD!! Brrr!!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MayFlower1

Hi Tanya,

And I didn't expect them to be writing furiously the whole time I was talking. Perhaps this was meant to rattle me.

If it would help your peace of mind...I didn't get accepted last year and, for the record, they were hardly writing anything down! Perhaps they write things down that they want to discuss during the debriefing that apparently happens at the end of the day with the admissions committee. I sense that it is a good thing that they were writing "furiously" during your interview.

Peter, I would be honoured to be your classmate next yeat, so good luck with the interview on Friday!

I would be honoured as well Tanya.

ps- I loved Ottawa, but I hope it isn't usually this COLD!! Brrr!!!

Well...get used to the cold if you plan on living in the big "O"...it's darn cold here at least a few weeks out of every winter. Seriously though, I think this is the coldest winter I've experienced in Ottawa since I've lived here! On a better note...the spring, summer and fall here are wonderful!

I look forward to June 1st! Hopefully, this year we all don't have to wait through the summer with "rank envy" on the waiting list... :lol

Keep in touch...

Peter

Guest MA2003

Hi Peter,

I'm looking forward to hearing how your interview goes on the 14th - best of luck! Do you have any suggestions to share based on your interview experience last year?

Thanks!

Guest DrTaratobe

Hi guys.

First good luck to those who have an interview. I didn't get an interview for ottawa but i am pretty sure quebec universities will give me one. I was wondering if those who did the interview could tell me a little bit more about the ethical and political.. questions. could you give me some examples of those kind of questions? you could even send me an e-mail to nfarideh@hotmail.com . I really really appreciate it. It might really help me. Good luck again and thanks. :)

Guest MA2003

Hey DrTaratobe,

Checkout the thread entitled "Medical School Interviews" under the heading "General Premed and Med School Topics." There's a wealth of info there -- different mock ethical and political questions, etc., etc.

Good luck!

Hey Peter,

I totally agree with the "unique candidate" comment. I'm glad it went well! You'd make a great doc!!

Thanks for sharing your insight with us and for always being so willing to help.

Cheers!

JS28

Guest habra

Hi Peter, sounds like you did excellent. It is interesting as I also had the smoking scenario last year. I wonder if they recycle some of the questions. I am still waiting and hope I get an interview (I am the gradute stream).

I was just wondering where you got your detailed info about the program and the school other than what is listed on their website and also what comes with the interview package. Also I think you are right about being siked out by the other "qualified" applicants. I think it had a negative effect on me last year. If I get an interview I plan to show up 15 minutes before my interview.

COngrats on being done and having done a good job.

H

Guest MayFlower1

habra,

I got all the info I needed from the UofO website...from around here...talking with current students...research on the web.

Good luck...I hope you get an interview...

Peter

Guest stargirl

hey peter,

sounds like you kicked some serious butt in your interview!! you're an awesome possum! :rollin

and yay family medicine!! (although i am partial to pediatrics - early intervention / disease prevention / health promotion is such a big key to positive health outcomes later in life - that's what i think anyway!)

what DO you do with dr. faloon? do you get to do any observation of him with patients?

stargirl

Guest Biochem10

Congrats Peter, it sounds like you did a great job. I think the most important thing is to be happy with your interview, regardless of the outcome (which I think in your case will be good). It looks like you have learned a lot about the whole med school process in the last year. Anyway, I'm really happy it went well for you. I'll be looking forward to seeing your name on the accepted thread come june.

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks so much biochem...I hope I get "the good email" this year too...it would be nice to "relax" over the summer and not have to wait on the dreaded "good wait list" or, god forbid, the "bad waitlist."

Peter

Guest tappety tap

PETER...

I couldn't be happier for you! I've been in the books the past few days...but was thinking about ya today at 8:30! Sounds like it went off without a hitch...I'm so happy for you!!!! Go have some martinis and celebrate(I'mn sure you already are as I type this)...I'll have to wait until after April 9 to join ya! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Guest multifish

I believe I had the same interviewers as Peter -- one did nuclear medicine, and was very friendly -- and there was a student there who was silent for almost all of the interview. The nuc med guy seemed very nice indeed; the third interviewer, a woman (whom I believe was a physician..she gave that impression somehow) tended to challenge what I said, but she smiled frequently. Overall the interview went well, although they asked me to discuss current events outside of Iraq and health care issues, and I blanked. There was a lot of ethical material -- euthanasia, and homelessness (related to areas in which I've volunteeered). Most of the questions were from my sketch, and overall it went smoothly and I felt comfortable.

Guest medicator007

Hey Peter,

Seems like your interview went well, which is great, now you get to play that unnerving & seemingly endless waiting game. :rolleyes

For now though, I must return to the wide world of Musculoskeletal and Blood which isn't going to be easy as the Habs are digging in for a final push....

Cheers,

Medicator

PS... Tappety Tap, don't think they lock down threads for too many happy faces... too many rolling smily heads though is a different story :rollin :lol

Congratulations Peter!

And thank you again for another informative post (listing your questions gives such a great feel for what it's going to be like). And for the sake of verification (not that Peter needs it!), my interview at Ottawa last year was eerily similar to Peter's description. (Just in terms of the sequence of events I mean - I obviously didn't do as well last year :o or else I'd be 'med student Matt' and not 'registered user Matt' ;) )

Not to jinx it or anything but - You're in Peter. I can feel it.

There are times for Dom. This just might be one.

Matt

Guest MayFlower1

Medicator,

Thanks for the good thoughts...and reminder that I'm now in "the big waiting room"... :P

You see...we all get to experience what patients experience in waiting rooms... it reminds me of a great Sinefeld tape I heard a while back:

"...you go to your doctor's office... it shouldn't be that much of a surprise that you wait... after all, it IS called 'the waiting room'...and you sit there...lookin' around... and think to yourself... geeze... I wonder what SHE'S got! And then you're so proud... they call YOUR name ... you're going to see the doctor... but then they just put you into a SMALLER waiting room... and you sit there... and the doctor pops her head in... and says... take your pants off, I'll be right in... sometimes I want to say "hey, I'm not ready to be seen yet... YOU take YOUR pants off...go in your office... and I'LL let YOU know when I'm ready to be seen...after your pants are off you sit on the table...and what's with the PAPER? You wonder to yourself... should I put a dill pickle on the side? Maybe I should wrap myself up 'to go'? And then the doctor finally comes in... asks you what's wrong ... you tell her... she goes 'hold on, I have to look something up'....and you know she's thinkin' 'oh, that's really gross ... I haven't seen that before...' ... have you ever disagreed with your Doctor? There's something about arguing with someone half your age while not having pants on... and then just when you think you're winning...she says "pants wins over no pants".

Ha ha...it make me laugh every time I think about it.

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Matt,

Thanks for your support. I hope it went as well as I feel it went...unfortunately, based on reading other people's posts last year... I believe there's a big fat "0" correlation between the way one feels after the interview and whether one actually get's a first round offer, a "good" waitlist letter or a "bad" waitlist letter. I do pray, however, that this year I don't get the "Mr. Hill, than you for applying to the UofO... we've had an incredibly talented pool this year... your chances are just about nil... but there's always a glimmer of hope... thank you for applying ... now please wait all summer for that .00000000000000001 per cent chance that 401 candidates on the list higher than you will turn us down...and we will extend you an offer... :rolleyes

EDIT: Matt, I wish you great luck this year...your background is great...your graduate record is great... your intentions and motivations are right on ... and you're obviously persistent and want this like nothing else. I hope you are successful this year.

Peter

Archived