Premed 101 Forums

Interview Experiences (In lieu of interviewfeedback.com)

Guest MayFlower1

Guest tappety tap

Medicator...I'm at McGill and have been seeing med students everywhere (library, 2nd cup, shatner caf) studying the muscular system...so when is this bug exam anyways?!?

Do you think we can do anything about :rollin this rolly face restriction? :rollin I happen to really:rollin like them.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest martyb

Hi Peter

Since I've seen some of your posts written in French, I was wondering if you applied as a bilingual applicant. I know that on my OMSAS form I indicated that I am bilingual, but I don't remember saying anything specifically about being bilingual in my sketch.

Ottawa says that if you declare yourself bilingual, they will assess your level of fluency in French at the interview. I guess what I want to know is whether you declared yourself bilingual, and if so, how much of the interview was in French?

If anyone else can help with this, I would appreciate your input as well.

Thanks so much

marty

Guest medicator007

Big day-long musculoskeletal (and BLOOD) exam on Monday so you should see several of my colleagues cramming away at the library and 2nd cup. however, being a West Ender myself school is way too far for me to study on a regular basis so tend to stay home locked up with Netter and my notes.

What are you studying at McGill?

Rolly faces add a certain emphasis but too many tends to prompt motion sickness.

Medicator

Guest MayFlower1

Martyb,

I did apply as bilingual...for the second year in a row there was absolutely no test of my french proficiency in the interview...being somewhat of an idiot...I started speaking french during the interview to ensure they realized I was bilingual and that this was an important aspect of the program for me.

Peter

Guest misagh

D'OH! (slaps his forehead)

That would have been a *great* idea for my interview... they didn't ask me anything in French either... that's a good idea though, speaking in French so that they know you can... ahhhhh!

<Misagh's Second-Guessing Himself Marathon: Day 15>

Peter, I'm glad you believe the bilingualism is an important aspect. I'd hafta agree with you. Just recently (unfortunately I didn't do this sooner) I decided to expand my circle of friends, and meet/chill with some francophone students in my program here at Ottawa U, and I realized that there are aspects of the francophone culture and their way of expressing themselves that I really like!!

For all Ottawa U med hopefuls, make no mistake: The bilingual atmosphere here is a great asset to the program, and in many ways unique in Canada!

Au revoir tout le monde!

PS: Peter, your Seinfeld quote in another post was the bomb!! It left me in stitches! "Geddy up!"

Guest mumfirst

Hey Maflower,

Thanks for the informative rundown of your interview. Sounds like you did a great job! From one ahem "mature" 2nd-time-applicant to another, I hope you get in this year!

:D

Guest MayFlower1

misaugh, mumfirst,

Thanks so much for the suppot...I've got my fingers crossed too.

MISAUGH...although it's incredibly difficult, do yourself a favour and try not to figure out how you did on your interview...it will drive you nuts...and there doesn't seem to be much correlation, if any, between feelings after the interview and acceptances based on listening to people's stories last year.

I posted that I felt I had a great interview...and I really felt I did...I believe I did the best job that I possibly could have...of course, with the occasional stumbles as we will all make. The point of this is that I am satisfied with my performance, however, it in no way indicates what will happen...I am just as likely to get a "bad waitlist", "good waitlist" or "acceptance"...but it really doesn't matter (actually it does... ;) ) ... what matters is that I feel good about what I accomplished over the last year and at this interview.

....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa only 2.48765 more months left to wait!

Peter

Guest G8M8T

I cannot remember from two years ago and I cannot find anywhere in the current invitation package wether or not we are supposed to bring a photograph to our Ottawa interview. With the last picture used for McGill, I would have to get another set made. Since this requires me to put on a tie, which I wore only about 6 times in my life (all for unsuccessful med interviews as well as the picture taking), and walking to the Warden subway station photo booth (because that's the closest and cheapest), I hope Ottawa does not require the picture. Can someone please confirm this. Thank you very much.

Guest MayFlower1

G8M8T,

You don't have to bring picture to the interview...but you must bring photo ID for the check-in prior to your interview. I saw people using their driver's licences...I personally brought a valid passport.

Peter

Guest Biochem10

This is just a comment for G8M8T... Do you think it's really necessary to wear a tie for your passport pictures? I think they just want to remember your face. I just went to the mall on a sunday and got a picture taken, I didn't think it was a big deal.

Guest G8M8T

Thanks Peter and Biochem10. Biochem10, you are right. To wear a tie is most likely not important at all. The thing is that my physical appearance is not exactly what people would associate with a caring and compassionate person. In fact when I sit later in the evening in an empty subway car, people purposely chose to enter other cars from being afraid. Being clean shaven and wearing a tie, I hope, at least brings out some illusion of intelligence.

Guest medicator007

Thanks.. exam went fine....science psych eh? neat... took a psych course in undergrad, interesting but definately not for me!

Hey Peter:

My last message was supposed to have a happy face :D I guess that I am computer illiterate even with the laptop program. But in all honesty all the best

Sil.

Guest Tanya24

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the 3-person teams remain together during the entire interviewing season? My interviewers were 2 men; one man about 5'8" with dark brownish hair and a beard, one man about 6'0" who was bubbly and had lighter brown hair, and a female student who is quite soft-spoken with long blond hair. Yeah, that sure narrows it down, doesn't it?! :) Given that there are so few interviewers (relatively speaking), can anyone recognize if they had the same ones as me? I interviewed on the 7th. I wish I could remember their names. Thanks!

Guest doctorfunk

I think they do stick together. I recall someone telling me that they are required to conduct interviews on 5 different days (4 interviews/day)...

Guest MayFlower1

Sil...ha ha...you know, it was interesting...I spent a few minutes trying to decipher what was intended by the mad face >: It's amazing what the human mind will do in the face of conflicts of information like this :lol

Of course, at the end of the day, I still had no idea why you used the >: but I did assume your intentions were as they have always been ... that is ... :D

Thanks again for the kind thoughts.

Peter

Archived