Premed 101 Forums

Interview Experiences (In lieu of interviewfeedback.com)

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

Sil,

Aw gosh...you're way too kind...now, if I get accepted, you'll just have to put up with me for one less year...lucky you! ;)

Peter

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Emila

I had my interview on March 18. The interviewers were very friendly and I feel that my interview went pretty well. But I've noticed a lot of people think they have a good interview and then don't get in.

For ethical questions I got the one about the 14 year old girl who wants birth control and a woman who didn't want me to tell her husband that he has cancer.

For current events I got to talk about any international story I wanted, except Iraq.

I think I messed up the question about what difficulties I expect to encounter in medicine. I said something about not being able to foresee all of the problems in medicine until I'm in medical school and have some experience. I guess I could have talked about demanding hours and facing ethical dilemas.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think I really messed up this question?

The tour wasn't that good. All of the labs and lecture rooms were locked so we only saw the hallways.

I hope this helps any of you who are still waiting for interviews. Let me know if you have any questions.

Guest steve

Well everyone, here it is...

I had my interview this morning at Ottawa and I have to say that it was absolutely nothing that I expected. This isn't to say that it went poorly, but it was much different than expected.

I have a feeling that my interviewers didn't even read my sketch. The first thing said was "You are obviously a strong candidate seeing as how you have been given an interview, so rather than review your sketch and talk to you, we'd like to get to know the "real Steve"". No questions on my accomplishments, no questions on my aspirations. It was very conversational and I did feel somewhat comfortable in the interview but I really don't think that I presented myself in a way that will enable them to gauge whether or not I am suitable for the program at Ottawa U. At the end I found myself shocked at how fast the interview had passed by and due to the constant ringing of one of the doctor's beepers, I felt pressured to let the interview end like that rather than point out my strong points and why I would be suitable for Ottawa. Post-interview criticism I guess. One girl finished at the same time as me and was crying post-interview, so in one way I'm lucky that my interviewers were conversationalists rather than the typical "good cop/bad cop".

Anyways, sorry about the rant... here are some of the questions...

Who are you and what has brought you to the study of medicine?

Talk about current issues.

How do you learn?

Do you like to read?

As a supervisor, you witness an unwarranted approach from one employee to another. How do you deal???

What do you do for fun.

I answered all, but found to babble a little too much. I decided to take a different approach and not have any preformed answers before going into the interview thinking that I would be more honest in my answers. I got a little flabbergasted (sp???) a couple of times, but the interviewers seemed understanding and clarified their question and/or intent of the question.

Overall, a decent experience but definitely not quite what I expected. I hope this helps any of you with upcoming interviews. As a fellow candidate and in joining with the moderators I can't stress enough the importance of being yourself and staying relaxed. Had I been more relaxed, I think I wouldn've been more clear and concise in my answers...

Good luck to all

Steve

Guest Tanya24

Emila, I am certain you did NOT screw up with that answer. Your answer is true isn't it? :) . They know this is a situation of pressure and I'm certain they don't expect you to have every possible answer. THAT would sound rehearsed. I'm sure you did great. I felt the very same way after my interview. I wished I had been able to think of more reasons, examples, whatever for each of the questions I answered. The same can probably be said for most of us. Don't sweat it, and good luck!!

Steve, I hear you man. They didn't ask about me or my accomplishments either. Definitely NOT what I expected. It was very ethical/world issues-based. I also chose not to script my answers in the hopes that I would sound more natural. At times, though, I must admit I felt like I was babbling. Congratulations on being done, and good luck on May 30th!!

Tanya.

Guest carletongirl

Hello everyone,

Wow! I can't believe that my interview is over. It's a relief and yet it marks the beginning of a long wait till we all hear about whether we made it or not.

So I wanted to give an account of my experience. But before I go on to do that, I want to take the opportunity to thank all of those people who have supported me on this forum, and especially those that I met at the mock interviews - you guys ROCK! I don't think I could have had such a memorable experience without the help.

My interview was at 2:45 p.m. I decided to have my best friend come along with me. She just returned from an exchange in France and we have been trying to spend more time together. It was a great idea for me to have her there while I was waiting because we laughed the whole time and that made me feel happy and not nervous at all.

I believe Dr. Doyle was one of my interviewers. A very friendly man whom I felt an instant connection with. I was led to a small room where I introduced myself to the others (a fourth year med student and a woman with red hair - can't remember her name). During the interview I actually did finish a whole glass of water. Don't feel shy about that because they do give you time in between questions while they have to furiously write things down.

Of course the first question was "What are your motivations to go into medicine?" and this was what I was prepared for. I gave them my reasons, allowing for enough info so that I knew what the next questions to follow would be about. Basically, I felt that I steered the interview in the direction in which I wanted it to go for the most part. There were a few things which I wanted them to know about me, and by the end of the interview I had covered all of them.

Ok, so other questions included:

1. Why not go into teaching? (this stemmed from my experience teaching Sunday school)

2. What direct experience had I had to make me want to be a doctor? (here I talked about my clinical research experience, plus my observations in a clinic with the doctor that I worked for)

3. Was there an area of specialty in medicine that I was leaning towards?

4. What qualities did I possess that I thought were important for a doctor to have?

5. What alternatives did I have if I didn't get into med school?

6. What had I taken away from my volunteering experiences? (this one I'm not sure that I was completely clear about - I may have strayed away a bit)

7. What is the most difficult situation I had been in? (I kind of froze for this question even though I had an answer prepared, and at the time during the interview, we had been talking about my family, so I ended up talking about my position in the family as an only child and trying to be a balance between my parents - hmmm...not sure about this one, but it led to the next questions quite well)

8. Who is the most influential person in your life? (I said my parents)

9. What do I do to unwind? (this question was great because I think I almost had them laughing at one point. Somehow, the doctor on the interview team picked the next question from this.)

10. Do I do any recreational reading? (talked about my favorite authors and books - had lots of fun with this question because I love to read!!)

11. When I mentioned my love for music and that I play an instrument, they asked me if I had played in a group. I picked up on that cue and talked about the groups I had played in, how we communicated as a group, our strengths and weaknesses, etc.

For the ethical dilemmas, there were two.

1. You are treating a man with a terminal illness (cancer) and he only has a few weeks to live. His family thinks he is better off in palliative care. However, the patient does not want to give up and he wants you to put him in a treatment of chemotherapy. What do you do?

2. You are a med student following a doctor on his rounds. You come to a patient and the doctor gives a slanted view on what the possible treatment options are. How do you approach this? (I said I would ask the doctor why he didn't give all of the options available) What if you were then passing by the patient in the hospital and he asked you what you thought about his situation and whether the doctor was right?

At the end, they gave me an opportunity to ask a question. I ended up asking about the web-based curriculum, having emphasized earlier in the interview that I believe technology is great tool for learning. So the med student answered that.

Then, the interview was over and they wished me good luck.

Other comments:

1. They didn't ask me any current events questions thankfully. I really did not want to comment on the war and I got the feeling that they didn't want to either.

2. They were really friendly! They never made me feel bad.

3. Reflecting on it now, I don't know if I emphasized that U of O is the place I want to be, or that it is the right environment for me...in other words, I'm not sure that I sold myself to the school.

4. Because I "willed" myself not to be nervous, I think I had a fun interview. I'm not going to kill myself analyzing it now. I'm happy with what I was able to share with them, and if I don't get into med school, I don't know how I would change my interview. I think I would just take it as a sign that God wants me to do something else in life.

5. All of the other people who had interviews at the same time as me said that they had good interviews too...so I'm going to stick to Peter's idea that there is no correlation between the interview and who gets in. I'm just glad that I had a pleasant experience and I really admire U of O for that.

Cheers,

Carletongirl :)

Guest MayFlower1

carletongirl,

I got your message...came here and read about your experience...CONGRATULATIONS! One down and one to go! It sounds like you had a very similar experience to mine. I'm sure you did a spectacular job. I can't wait for June 1st...then, I guess, we'll be able to judge the strength and direction of the correlation between our feelings about the interview and our status! I'm hoping for a strong positive correlation for both of us :D

I am looking forward to the party too...once we get these busy med students nailed down on a date I'll let

everyone know when it's going to "unfold". ;)

Peter

Guest steve

Hey Carletongirl...

Just curious, when did you graduate from Carleton??? I think I might know you and I think we might have been interviewed by the same people!!!!!!!! Are your initials JM??? Ahh, maybe I should be looking into detective work instead of medicine!!!

Steve

Carletongirl,

I was interviewed at 1:45 by the same team. It was interesting to hear your account knowing that they had just finished interviewing me. Neat. I didn't get much of a read from them at all. They seemed very professional to me. Sounds like it went pretty well for you, about as well as one can hope I imagine. Now it's wait time. You sound so sure that 'not getting in' will be a 'sign' from God. I'm of the opinion that there are too many variables and if you know you're right for this, then continue to go for it regardless. Once you've made it this far, eventually that stars have got to allign. And, there are lots and lots of people who don't get in on their first try.

All,

My first question;

1. Which of your life experiences have led you to here? (With the initial butterflies of the situation I began to answer the question - Why do you want to be a physician? - which is a different question. That wasn't good. But the med student set me straight, and by that time I was on a roll and began to relax... I then talked about which of my 'experiences' were important to the decision...)

The rest, in no particular order - because I can't recall the order...

2. How do you deal with conflict (I talked about my experiences as a military policeman)

3. How do you deal with stress (What's that? :P )

4. What do you do for fun (play with my daughter, play hockey, etc)

5. What types of books do you read? (Shakespeare and the classics of course like all good physicians... :P )

6. What qualities do you have that will make you right for this profession. (Like I didn't prepare for that one.)

7. Some question about Canadian health care and privatization (I was well prepared having read both the Canada Health Care Act and the Romanow report).

8. An ethical dilemma about a wife not wanting you to tell her husband about his cancer because of his fragile heart!!!? Didn't even really seem like an ethical dilemma but that was the closest thing to one that I got.

I'm sure there were other questions that I can't recall right now. It seemed to go so quickly. I may have come across as paternalistic and over bearing when that is nothing like my regular personality. I was so worried about the fine line between self-confidence and boasting and was trying to sell myself a little too much I think?? Tough call. I felt as though the conversation flowed and that I had no trouble with any of the questions (except the first one - but I was deafened by the sound of my heart beat in my ears :( for that one...)

Nothing about current events.

I think I was a little wishy washy on the question about the couple. But I did talk about the fact that the requirement for a strong morale foundation and ethics attracts me to the profession, blah, blah...

Oh ya: 9. What was your most challenging experience? (I said: "The first week of my daughter's life comes to mind - that was like boot camp all over again" - they laughed - and then I told the story of my Combat Leadership Course - which was in 1992, before the 'kinder gentler army' etc etc... But I used the word "CRAP" to describe what I went through at one point -- That immediately felt inappropriate. They didn't seem to react badly to it though, but who knows? I hope there aren't any stigma's attached to my military background - I never told them that I want to be a medical officer - it didn't come up.

10. What qualities are important for team building? (I think I handled that one well too, and used some examples of teams that I've been involved with and led...)

11. What is your greatest weakness (I talked of the plague of self-doubt that I've been struggling against lately... seemed to be taken well? But who know's)

12. Who in your life has influenced you the most (I said my daughter, conversation ensued)

All in all I think it went well, much better than last year in terms of my confidence level.

But there is really no way of knowing. I thought I did well last year!!!?

Not getting-in will NOT be a sign for me that I'm meant for something else.

I'm meant for this.

Waiting patiently for June.

Good luck to you all and thank you for your openness and honesty on this forum.

Here's to the hope we're classmates in September, and to the passion and privelege that got us there.

Cheers,

Matt

Guest carletongirl

hi steve,

haven't graduated from Carleton yet and my initials are not JM...sorry! I'm actually in my third year in Integrated Science.

Guest carletongirl

Hi Matt,

I did not arrive at Roger Guindon Hall until about 2 p.m. And I am far from being a cute blonde girl! The people who have met me on this forum can attest to this.

You are right about the 3 interviewers that we both had. They were professional, but laid back at the same time. I found that they were open and did not give me blank stares...usually had a bit of a smile on their face. Probably because I kept smiling the whole time except when we were talking about the ethical dilemmas.

As for when I said that not getting in would be a sign from God, I did not mean that I would not try again. I simply meant that I would explore other opportunities and follow the path that seemed right. I believe that coincidences in life are really not coincidences, but things that we must pay attention to because they can lead us in the direction of our life's vision if we tune into them. There are many things that are pointing me in the direction of medicine right now, but that doesn't mean that it is the only thing that I could do in life.

Take care,

Carletongirl

Guest iamsmilingbear

Hey Everyone!!!! (attention carletongirl :P )

I had my interview yesterday too! It's such a relief that it's over! But this marks the beginning of the long wait.....and also I can't resist thinking back to analyze :rolleyes I hope I won't kill myself with that, but my hope is always up!

I'm sooo sure that I've met you carletongirl!!!! I believe it's God who plans that we can find each other, even after the interview! :P Hehe, see if you can guess who I am. I was really grateful to have you and your friend kept me company before and after my interview! :rollin

Ok, I'll give an account of my interview experience. I feel like I should make a contribution too :D , because I really appreciate how you guys have helped me in this forum, with your experience, mock and thoughtful comments!

Overall, I feel like I've tried my best. Thanks God for keeping me confident! (ahh, too bad there's no direct correlation between one's impression and the result, I do believe in your theory Peter!)

One interviewer told me not to worry about not making eye contact with all interviewers when I answered questions, because they would be furiously writing - and they did.

Questions (I don't remember the order, except the first one):

1) What do you do for fun? (I like how the medical student kicked off the interview by asking that, it made me feel less anxious!)

2) Do you read? (I told them I don't read a lot, but I did tell them the last book I've read, and....there goes a question about why some people want to ban the book! -Unexpected question, but I thought I've tried my best to answer it, and I told them I'm not too familiar with it!)

3) Why medicine? (yay, not like I didn't prepare for it :P )

4) What research were you doing with the cardiovascular surgeon? And, what do you admire most about the surgeon

5) Any stories you can share during your volunteer work in the ER? -I told them what I've learned from the patients

6) Difficult decision that affects your life? (I told them I can't think of one that can be classified as a turning point of my life, but I do give them an example of how I've to decide whether to endure my sprained ankle during a trip or leave in the middle - as recommended by the doctor)

7) If you think back 10 years, what would you want to change?

8) What do you see yourself in 10 years then

9) An example of conflict in group work - i told them about a conflict between team members while I work for a volunteer club, and how I stupidly place myself in a middle position between 2 conflicting members

10) What qualities do you think are important for a physician

Ethical/Scenario:

1) Your classmate shows off himself during PBL sessions, and other people have no chance to talk, what would you do? (and more difficult situations revolving this followed)

2) A 12-year old girl asks for a pill because she's sexually active, what would you do? (I think they challenge my answer a bit, but I think I managed to turn around and back up my answers?)

3) A child suffering with terminal illness refuses treatment, but her family really wants her to continue, what would you do?

- and, surprisingly, there were NO current news-related questions!

Last question, do you have anything you want to say that you think you want us to know and make sure we know but we didn't ask you or you didn't have a chance to say? (ahhh, this question I want to hit myself, I said no, but I should have said more about my other experiences/ or show them I have good knowledge of current news?) :\

-following my "no", and after a pause, I remembered two of the interviewers said "good" respectively at the end, before I stood up and shaked their hands again. I'm not sure if this means anything, but I did cheer me up, I REALLY hope it signifies something!

-lastly, they smiled and wish me good luck, have a safe trip home.

I guess I have nothing to do now, except pray and hope for the best. I'll keep you guys in my prayer too, hope

all those who aspire to be a doctor will have their dreams come true! Best of luck! I love Ottawa and it'll be my first choice for sure so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :D

Cheers,

smilingbear

Guest MayFlower1

Matt,

First of all, I will tell you that I can personally attest to the fact that carletongirl isn't blonde ;) She is really nice, intelligent and kind though.

Sounds like you had a good interview...I hope things work out for you this year...you definitely deserve it. My fingers are crossed for you. Hmmm...I seem to remember having been here before about this time last year...I hope things work out differently for both of us this year.

Peter

Woah, how'd you do that????

When I reply stuff comes up that's just for me? Weird. I haven't bothered to learn much more than writing in these spaces. I see the 'quoted' tab now.

Whatever, anyway, I realize now how that must have sounded. I had a conversation with a girl before my interview and never got a chance to mention ezboard. I thought for a minute it might have been careltongirl simply because of the time and place and school (that girl is obviously someone else who was interviewed at 2:45 !) Anyway, she would have understood that hubba hubba reference. I'm going to delete that part. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Cheers,

Matt

Guest carletongirl

smilingbear! I know who you are! :rollin And yes, that was me in the green outfit.

It was great to meet such a sweet girl like yourself at the interviews. I truly hope that we can be classmates next year! My friend thought you were pretty cool too...she says she knows a friend of hers that went on the same trip as you.

Careltongirl,

I hope I didn't offend you with that hubba hubba thing. It was meant to be a totally harmless Austin Powers reference that the blond girl would have recognized, I'm sure. Peter pointed out how bad it sounded, and when I re-read it I was pretty embarassed. Sounded like some sort of a dirty old man's post. Sorry. I've deleted it now.

To tell you truth, I haven't really taken my posts here that seriously. It appears there is a fine line when so many people have access to the things you say, I should pay more attention.

Cheers and Good Luck.

Matt

Peter,

First off, again, thanks for pointing that out. It was rather embarassingly rude on reassessment.

Secondly though, I hope this doesn't offend you, but there was something irking me that I just sort of put my finger on.

You are always very helpful, and your comments are always very thoughtful and timely, but once we're classmates (Assuming we both did it this time! :D ), I'm worried about having to walk on eggshells around you.

Your persona here is just too perfect and having met you (although briefly) you seem to be quite similar in person. (Although for some reason my spidey-sense was tingling when you were in my house? Maybe it was your prestidigitation? I'm not sure I could ever really trust a guy so adept in the dark arts ;) ) Although, I would like you to teach me some of those tricks...

Seriously though,

I'm just a regular kind of guy and I certainly drink and swear. But, I've never been accused of being offensive and I'm not the type who hits on strange women. I love my wife and would never do anything to disrespect her in any way.

You don't strike me as one of those radical right wing religious zealots but I still think that I might just end up offending you inspite of myself. You're the freakin' Ned Flanders of ezboard.:rollin :D :D :rollin :D

In my book, the P.C. pendulum has swung too far (even as an aspiring physician). Although you were perfectly correct in pointing out how bad that sounded, I hope slips of that nature, in the correct context, won't offend you in person.

Anyway,

I'm sure I'll see you again soon.

Good luck to you, too.

Take care.

Matt

Guest MayFlower1

Hi matt,

Sorry...I'm not an ultrasensitive person in person...actually, it's pretty darn hard to offend me...my first wife had an affair on me...it definitely left a bit of a scar...notice, she was my first wife...and that I am no longer with her...she was swiftly removed as "collateral damage"...I think those words triggered some of "my stuff". I apologize for being oversensitive on this issue...I should have let others speak for themselves. I guess the other reason I brought it up was because it may have been misperceived by some on this board...and there are tons of lurkers...the impression this could have left was not my experience of you...I just wanted to point it out so there was no doubt that you didn't mean it in the way it could be taken.

You don't strike me as one of those radical right wing religious zealots but I still think that I might just end up offending you inspite of myself. You're the freakin' Ned Flanders of ezboard.

I do, however, take offense to the above quote :P

Don't worry about offending me in this forum or in others...one thing you will get to know about me is that I say what I feel...you never have to second guess me. Also, I'm not a grudge-holder...I deal with stuff and move on. Lastly, when given feedback (e.g., like the feedback you just gave me in your last post), I ALWAYS really think about it and change my behaviour in the future, where appropriate...

Take care Matt...and I do hope we're classmates...

Peter

P.S. Thanks very much for the feedback...I sincerely appreciate it.

P.P.S. You NEVER have to feel like you need to walk on eggshells around me, if that wasn't already evident from this post.

Guest carletongirl

Wow! Now I'm really glad that I'm not the cute blonde girl! This has sparked a lot of conversation.

Firstly, I just wanted to say that there are no hard feelings. Although I thought the remark was weird, coming from a total stranger, I know it wasn't meant for me directly. So Matt, apology accepted. If we ever do meet, I hope that I live up to what Peter has said about me.

That said, Peter, I really do appreciate your words. It just reaffirms my belief that you are a truly amazing man and show the utmost respect to others. Your family is very lucky. I was touched that you showed concern for my feelings and that you think so highly of me.

Cool. I hope by 'offended'. You mean, 'offended'. :rolleyes :D

Did you just stick your tongue out at me? :rollin This medium just doesn't lend itself well to my kind of expressiveness 8o

It'll be different in September. When/if we really get to know each other. I'm sure we'll get along just fine!! I'm looking forward to demonstrating how odd this whole thing is becoming. (I come from a somewhat religious background by the way, my sister is a postulant in the Anglican church. I point this out just to add a little bit of context to my comments. I am a believer in a higher power... anyway...)

I want to say that I feel for you. It's brave of you to have left your first wife... if my awkwardly expressed opinion matters to you... too many people try to make it work to the detriment of themselves, their children, and the people around them. I am sure it was a difficult time and a difficult decision. No matter how obvious that choice seems to be, some people never see it, blinded by their own lives. It must have been a difficult time, especially with kids involved. Good on ya! And I'm happy for you that you've met someone new to share your life with...

Try to keep in mind that my writing is usually right off the cuff, and I don't seem to be conveying my true feelings that well. (Even when I go back and read what I wrote, sometimes it doesn't sound like what I meant to say... And imagine, I emphasized my 'strong communications skills' at the interview :o Hehe!)

Peace.

Matt

P.S. I'd take that Ned thing as a huge compliment... have you ever seen him with his shirt off, or in the shower, or in his ski suit,... "stupid sexy flanders!!!" :rollin

P.P.S.

I guess the other reason I brought it up was because it may have been misperceived by some on this board...and there are tons of lurkers...the impression this could have left was not my experience of you...I just wanted to point it out so there was no doubt that you didn't mean it in the way it could be taken.

Thank you for the above. You're a good man... Ned :lol

Guest sassygrrl

hi everyone!

just when you thought you had enough...

i thought i would post some of my questions and thoughts because i found all of yours very helpful.

i think i had a pretty "typical" interview. they asked about my motivations, experiences, opinions, ethical dilemmas.. etc. the interviewers were really friendly (especially the student). here are some questions i had:

1) why med school?

2) they asked me to describe 2 volunteer experiences from my autobiographical sketch

3) how do you cope with stress?

4) what could you bring to the university/why should we pick you?

5) scenario: you are a team doctor for a ballet troupe. a very thin girl whom you suspect has an eating disorder comes to you.. what do you do? what if she does not think there is anything wrong with her? what will you do if AFTER you've advised her, she comes back 3 weeks later having lost 5 lbs?

6) would you ban cloning?

7) you have one liver, but 2 patients who have an equal need for it - what factors would i consider in my choice?

8) what do i think of current situation with patenting and drug companies?

9) scenario: would you allow someone to immigrate to canada, knowing they had a long term, chronic disease? what if the disease was contagious? what if the person with the disease was a refugee?

10) what was the most difficult decision you had to make?

umm this is all i can remember for now. just one more tip - if your hand is shaky, it's NOT a good time to take a sip of water. :o

i wish you all the best

Guest G8M8T

Congratulations everyone on their great interviews. I did not get asked a single question that has not already come up on this board. Despite of that, I am sure my interview number 6 was once again not the one. Besides the fact that I was noticeably nervous, the suggestion that one of my most excruciating experiences was having to sit through the entire length of one of "The Lord of the Rings" movies, probably did not help much. Good luck all when the decisions come out.

Hi G8M8T

Don't worry too much. I think I met you before you went to your interview (did you interview at McGill also?). One of my classmates was lucky to trial #3. I hope this is your year. I am also aweful an interviewing, hope it went well.

sil.

Archived