Premed 101 Forums

Coming to Canada for Medicine

You want to apply as a Permanent Resident, I have no idea if you will be a PR as soon as you land. Although I have no knoweldge whatsoever about this, I assume that once your grades are assessed through the procedure used to determine studies abroad, you will be dealt with as any other student.

Assuming that you will not have your status as PR during the current application cycle starting very soon, the issu7e is what to do with this year. It would be helpful for you to dsetermine almost immediately the value of your grades in Canada so that you will know if you need to do fiurther undergrad studies to help you. Also, you will want to determine what interests you in terms of volunteering, what is available and you should get started in wehatever intertests you anad is available. It need not be organized volunteering but this is probably the easiest path to follow..anything that interests you where you can develop and grow and show your compassion, deediciation, leadership skills, e.g., soup kitchen, working with disabled, elderly, the blind, disadvantaged kids, in a hospital, coaching sports, etc.

And welcome to Canada, and to this forum!!

Cheers!

I'm Karl, 20 years old, and I recently graduated with a degree of BSc in Biochemistry from the University of the Philippines. This October, my family and I are moving to Canada as my parents got hired to work there.

I plan to take up medicine. If we weren't moving to Canada, I would've been a student now in a medical school here, because I've already been accepted (albeit I declined it since we were migrating).

We are landing in Edmonton, Alberta, and I am looking at University of Alberta as a good school where I hope I can take up medicine. I will also apply in UBC, UofC, maybe even UofT and UofM, all things considered.

Here are my queries:

1. Since I am yet to become a citizen nor a Landed Immigrant, I can't really apply to any medschool until I have domiciled in Canada for a year, can I? If I can, please elucidate me on what I can do.

2. Do you think I stand a chance (especially in UofA)? I don't think I have a 4.0 GPA, but I did graduate with honors (I have yet to know how my GPA in the Philippines fares when converted to the 4.0 scale). I have diverse experiences in various fields, though I still have to write the MCAT.

3. Which medical schools are more lenient towards undergrads who took their degrees abroad (esp in Asia)?

Thank you all in advance. :)

There's this thing called "minimum landed immigration time" - that's 3 years before you can even legally apply for citizenship/Permanent residence. This is assuming that you are even eligible to become a citizen/ PR. On your visa, are you coming here as immigrants? or are your parents here simply to work in a job for a LIMITED period of time, like a work visa? These 2 are totally different. If you are here immigrating, then expect to wait 3-4 years I would say. If they are here only on a work permit.. not a chance.

Canadian permanent residents, for the purposeof admission to an Ontario medical school, are those who, by the application deadline, possess a Canadian Immigration Record of Landing (IMM1000) or a Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If your parents are coming to Canada on a work permit and you don't have any of the above, you might be better off staying in your home country and going to medical school there.

Applicants who require inclusion of their international education data must have their foregin transcript assessed by World Edcuation Services (WES), at 45 Charles Street East, Suite 700, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4Y 1S2, TEL: 416-972-0070. You would need to read the current OMSAS Booklet for applying to medical schools sin Ontario for further information. By doing a google search under OMSAS Application, you will be led to the Booklet, see page 17.

So, it seems you are good to go. :)

I would think you would want to know as soon as possible how your grades stack up through WES. Once you know this, you will be able to determine whether you have academic weaknesses and then, you can determine what course of action to take by way of remediation. There is lots of information on this forum, in the OMSAS Booklet easily available and from the individual med school websites.

You will want to consider taking the MCAT which normally requires about 3 months of studying, although some do it in less. Most med schools require MCAT, U/Ottawa does not.

So, depending upon your current qualifications and you options for when you arrive, you may want to become involved in volunteering (an important aspect of the application) and study for MCAT. Alternatively, you may need to take further undergrad courses to improve your GPA and make you a stronger applicant. Normally, the med schools expect you to take a fullcourse load so that they can be aware by past performance that you are able to withstand the rigours of intensive study, i.e., it is easier to do well with a smaller course load.

I've read the OMSAS booklet, but it seems UofA and UofC, which I believe should be my top choices (because of logistics and application chances), aren't included. Is there a similar manual/booklet that covers Western medschools as well?
For schools that are not in Ontario, there is no general booklet. You'll have to go to the websites of the individual schools that you're interested in and they will have their own collection of applicant information.

Regarding WES: when I send WES my official transcript this early, could I ask them to send my evaluation to the schools after a year?

I am not familiar with the procedure but as your grades won't change, all should be fine. I assume they will need an official transcript directly from your UG university. You should contact them directly for specific information, and I assume that an email addres is available on the internet.

Also, since we are moving, I think it is best that I get my reference letters while I am still here in the Philippines. Will it be prudent to use these reference letters or should I get them only when I'm applying?

I suggest that you speak to your potential references and obtain their agreement to send strond letters of refernce when required. Otherwise, wait until you actually need them.

Also, by going tothe sites of the med schools that interest you directly, you will see the rewquirements to be considered IP (an "in province" applicant).

Guest viscous

I believe medical schools in Ontario require that students should have completed certain pre-reqs or undergrad studies in an accredited North American university. You can check it for yourself though by going to each school's individual website.

Hopefully, sir/madam, everything goes well. Thanks. :)

Regarding WES: when I send WES my official transcript this early, could I ask them to send my evaluation to the schools after a year?

I can answer your WES question. You can send them your transcript and your evaluation report will be stored in WES forever. So after your evaluation is completed, you can choose when and where to send them later.

I remember UofA does not require WES evaluation, instead they want a detailed week-to-week course schedule. That can be very hard to do so I suggest you to start preparing it ASAP.

Another thing I wanna remind you is, UofC only counts school years from Sep-Apr. I dont know if the school year in your home country is the same length, but school years in China is Sep-Jun and UofC emailed saying they wont count it because the length is different. (I was pissed off)

It woulod seem that you should go to both U/A and U/C websites, familiarize yourself with them and then write to each of their admissions asking questions about how they will deal with your application in future.

I would not necessarily volunteer to them that your high school time is shorter than in Canada as they really look at universit ubndergrad and t his is what I would focus on - to determine if you are, indeed, good to go or whether they may require you to take further UG studies.

Should they require you to do further UG studies, you will be available to so undergrad work in January and explore that possibility. Good luck.

Is this the same as WES' detailed course-by-course evaluation? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if you have 10 months of education and they only require 8, they didn't count it? May I know what you did? Thanks.

Yes it is the course-by-course one.

It is not they "only" require 8 months. It is they want to compare our GPA with Canadian students under similar course load. The term length in Canada is 4 months, and a full school year is 8 months. In China each term is 5months and a full year is 10months. If students in Canadian schools finish 10 courses in 8months but I finish it in 10 months, they believe mine is easier, as the same amount of coursework spreading over a longer period, and don't want to use that GPA.

Is it true that the UofA doesn't credit Philippine high school credits completely, since we only have 10 years of primary and secondary education (instead of 12)?

Because of this, I heard that they shall credit only 2 years of my undergrad to compensate for the 2 lacking years in high school, thus making me take another 2 years of undergrad in Canada.

I heard this from a friend who had a friend who tried to apply to UofA.

Thanks.

UofA doesn't tell you how they look at undergrad study in other countries. They will tell your their decision only after you finish the application and submit everything they need such as the week-to-week course description. So I have no idea about this. If your friend comes from the same country with you, then I guess you'll probably have the same answer from UofA.

All I wanna tell you is the med school in Canada may not be as easy as you thought. Even you are really good in your home country, you may have big disadvantage in Canada just because of something you can't change. Be prepared not to get admission in your first year and even more undergrad study. But you may also get lucky enough to get in without taking more school, just don't take it for granted.

It woulod seem that you should go to both U/A and U/C websites, familiarize yourself with them and then write to each of their admissions asking questions about how they will deal with your application in future.

I would not necessarily volunteer to them that your high school time is shorter than in Canada as they really look at universit ubndergrad and t his is what I would focus on - to determine if you are, indeed, good to go or whether they may require you to take further UG studies.

Should they require you to do further UG studies, you will be available to so undergrad work in January and explore that possibility. Good luck.

The website is useless regarding to this kind of international study issue, altho this is quite understandable. I tried to email them several times but really I guess we won't know the answer for sure until we apply.

I agree on not telling them about the high school, just focusing on undergraduate study. But I don't think starting from Jan is a good choice as UofC looks at the "best two full school years" and UofA only counts "school years with no less than 18 credits". Neither of them counts summer school. So starting from Jan will be a waste of time as it can't be a full school year anyways.

• 5 months later...
You can't get in... period.

You need to have completed your undergrad degree in an accredited University in Canada or The United States.

Many Canadian Medical schools do not take international students.

This is from my understanding too. Maybe there are other medical schools that accept bachelor degrees from other countries aside from Canada and the USA. Am I wrong?

Archived