Premed 101 Forums

MSc entry and Funding (CIHR/NSERC)?

lovestruck

I want to do an MSc at McGill in Neuroscience. I know it's a top tier school and despite emailing McGill's IPN office, I always get confusing replies back. I'm going into fourth year so I have a lot of time still, but I want to get a general idea of what my chances are before I apply. Here's my situation:

McGill converted GPA's:(similar to OMSAS GPA except 4.00 = A+ and A, everything else is the same)

1st year: 3.6 (OMSAS 3.54)

2nd year:4.0 (OMSAS 3.96)

3rd year:4.0 (OMSAS 3.98)

Overall: 3.86 (OMSAS 3.83)

Should get a publication out of my 4th years honours project (fingers crossed!)

The stipend is $21000 and tuition is $7500. That leaves me $13500 to live on, so I would really like to get some outside funding to increase that income!

So my question: would this be a "guarantee" to get in, provided I found a supervisor? (I know nothing is ever a true guarantee of course, but in figurative terms at least!) Also, how would it work for funding? Am I competitive for NSERC and CIHR?

no, certainly not a guarantee. Also I don't think you'd be able to get 21K + an external such as CIHR/NSERC. There's rules about holding more than one award in some situations. Typically your dept. will pay your stipend in the event that you can't get an external award

Yea I understand that you only get either the stipend or the external award. But most external awards are higher then the stipend (I think one of the CIHR is $28000, so leaves me $20500 to live on) so I'd like to get that instead of the stipend from the dept.

What are my chances for that kind of award? And am I at least competitive to get in? I'm unsure about how MSc entrance works and how competitive it is!

EDIT: also to add in, some MSc's seem to only look at the last two years GPA. In that case I would have 4.00 or at least close to it (depending on how 4th year goes).

CIHR Master's award is 17 500$ for one year. NSERC is the same. If you are in Qc, you can also apply to FRSQ, which is 15 000$/year, for up to 2 years. There are different rules as to what extra funding you can get if you hold an award, so check with each program. But if extra funding is allowed, your supervisor might still give you a (smaller) stipend, which could give you a higher total amount.

I think CIHR application deadline is sometimes in february, but NSERC & FRSQ are in october, so it is coming soon. If you already have your own funding, that should definitively help in finding a supervisor. But then again, you should find one before applying for funding (I think NSERC even requires it). As for your chances of getting an award, your GPA is good, but they look at much more than that: previous awards, research experience, publications/presentations/posters, etc... The evaluation criteria are available on each website. These applications are as complicated as OMSAS (even more?) so I think you still have a lot of reading to do! ;)

Good luck!

CIHR Master's award is 17 500$ for one year. NSERC is the same. If you are in Qc, you can also apply to FRSQ, which is 15 000$/year, for up to 2 years. There are different rules as to what extra funding you can get if you hold an award, so check with each program. But if extra funding is allowed, your supervisor might still give you a (smaller) stipend, which could give you a higher total amount.

I think CIHR application deadline is sometimes in february, but NSERC & FRSQ are in october, so it is coming soon. If you already have your own funding, that should definitively help in finding a supervisor. But then again, you should find one before applying for funding (I think NSERC even requires it). As for your chances of getting an award, your GPA is good, but they look at much more than that: previous awards, research experience, publications/presentations/posters, etc... The evaluation criteria are available on each website. These applications are as complicated as OMSAS (even more?) so I think you still have a lot of reading to do! ;)

Good luck!

Yes to everything on here. I'll only add that many schools have internal deadlines which are usually a lot earlier than posted deadlines. For example, CIHR is indeed due in Feb but my school's internal deadline was Sept 24th!!!

Just be aware of it.

Keep in mind that every school does it differently. For example, my dept in Calgary has this weird cutoff such that you can have your stipend and if you win an external award you can keep 2000 + 1/9th of it up to a total value of 4000. So, my total money after winning the CIHR award was 24,000/year. My PI paid for my tuition even though he wasn't 'allowed'. My advice is to talk around and find all the details.

Keep in mind that every school does it differently. For example, my dept in Calgary has this weird cutoff such that you can have your stipend and if you win an external award you can keep 2000 + 1/9th of it up to a total value of 4000. So, my total money after winning the CIHR award was 24,000/year. My PI paid for my tuition even though he wasn't 'allowed'. My advice is to talk around and find all the details.

Seriously? What dept is this in Calgary? I'm also in Calgary. I got more money because I won AHFMR and another external award so they allow you to keep 30% of the AHFMR one.

To the OP:

NSERC break down 2 years ago was 50% grades, 30% references, 20% other (primarily the research proposal). Not sure on CIHR. Amounts for NSERC are 17500 (CGS), and 17300 (PGS). You can only have one year at the Master's level (so don't plan on it for a full two years).

Keep in mind that you submit your application to your present school, which, since you're going into 4th year, will be your undergrad one. Awards are partitioned two schools inversely to the # of NSERC Discovery grants they have etc. So if you're at a non-research intensive school, there are potentially more awards available.

Regarding the application, make sure you put a LOT of effort into the proposal as that is the primary way of distinguishing yourself. Breakdown is as I discussed above, but really, most people have a good GPA/references. There are six key points that must be addressed in the NSERC proposal - they are buried in a paragraph about the requirements. If you can, attend any courses your school puts on regarding the writing of the proposal, it can make a huge difference. Oh, and you don't have to actually do what you propose - there are no subsequent checks. It's just a way to assess that you are capable of thinking through and writing a good quality research proposal.

As already discussed, funding will not be additive. Your supervisor can top up an award, a his/her discretion (and school guidelines). TAing is also a source of income during grad school, but total income can't exceed 10k if you hold a major scholarship.

One more note, you can only apply to NSERC or CIHR, not both. So choose one, and also apply to the local province one if applicable (OGS in Ontario).

A way to increase your income during grad school that does not affect an award are MITACS accelerate scholarships that involve a 4 month internship in private industry. It's 10-15k income over the four months that does not invalidate NSERC. Catch is you need an industry partner to kick in $7500 of it.

Edit:

Forgot to mention to the OP: threshold for grad school admission is typically 75% average. A higher average gets you a shot at scholarship, as well as more choice on program/supervisor, but the basic threshold is fairly low.

Archived