Premed 101 Forums

Reality Check

Sooo, I need a reality check. Just finished a bsc with 70% avg (2.7 gpa). I am registered to do another 2 year degree, even if I get 90 in all of my classes, my avg will only go up to 76% (3.3 gpa).

Studying for the MCAT this summer.

Extracurriculars are great.

Should I even bother? Be Honest.

Reasons for poor GPA: procrastination like nothing other.

There are schools (don't remember which ones off the top of my head) that will drop a year or only look at your best two years and things like that, so your situation is not hopeless at all. Have a detailed look at the admissions policies of all the schools you might be interested in and see which ones are good possibilities. And then do the best you can on the MCAT and your second degree. Good luck! :)

Shell, both UWO and Queens have a 2-year GPA system. UWO looks at your BEST 2 years of undergrad and they must be over 3.7 (3.75 is probably a better aim to be safe). Queens looks at your LAST 2 years of undergrad and they should be greater than 3.76 when averaged. Keep in mind, these schools that use a 2-year system tend to have higher MCAT cut-offs and also more unstable cut-offs as they seem to change more frequently (basically every year).

I would look at your new 2 year undergrad as a fresh start and put everything you have into it. Good luck!

Why would your next two years be different from the last four?

It is possible as people mature. Some just aren't motivated enough to reach for excellence and to plan ahead when they become of age. Partying, procrastinating and getting laid tend to take precedence. Shell has to be brutally honest with him(her)self, find out why they didn't do well and then really put their heart into it.

P.S. Ottawa also takes a weighted GPA average:

Multiply last year gpa by 3

Multiply 2nd last year gpa by 2

Take the year before 2nd as is (***)

Add all up and divide by 3 to get your GPA. Must be 3.85+. I have no idea how it works when you have 2 degrees. Also keep in mind that the GPA from *** can't be lower than 3.55 AND that you'd have to have 4.0 the last 2 years to even make the 3.85 cutoff (if you do the math).

If you have matured enough that you're ready to put in the work, then go for it. I have a year (11 yrs ago) where I have a 42% average from 10 courses. I pull off about 84% now... so obviously it can be done.

BUT I have to work 2x as hard as anyone else to prove myself.

Go to each admissions website of the schools you are interested in. Say to yourself, OK, if I really wanted to go here, what would I have to do to get in? Figure out where you have the best shot, and do what you need to do.

It's not going to be easy- be under no illusion it will!

Add all up and divide by 3 to get your GPA. Must be 3.85+. I have no idea how it works when you have 2 degrees. Also keep in mind that the GPA from *** can't be lower than 3.55 AND that you'd have to have 4.0 the last 2 years to even make the 3.85 cutoff (if you do the math).

They will see the last 3 years in both second and first degrees

They will see the last 3 years in both second and first degrees

To clarify - They'll take your last three years. If the second degree takes 3 years, they'll only see that (it isn't necessarily both). If its two years, they'll take the two from the new degree, and the final year of the first degree.

It used to be that they would only consider your last degree in the wGPA calculation. Also, years done beyond your original degree had to also be done as part of a degree. So, you couldn`t obtain a BSc and then stay registered as a student and take a year of courses and have them count if they weren`t going toward a degree. But best to check their current requirements to be sure nothing has changed.

It used to be that they would only consider your last degree in the wGPA calculation. Also, years done beyond your original degree had to also be done as part of a degree. So, you couldn`t obtain a BSc and then stay registered as a student and take a year of courses and have them count if they weren`t going toward a degree. But best to check their current requirements to be sure nothing has changed.

I emailed them two weeks ago

q4iVD.png

op, with a 90+ avg with a 5.0 course load in two consecutive years, you will have a strong shot at a few schools in Canada (Sask, Queens, UWO, Dalhousie and who knows maybe UofC as we do not know how they judge second degrees). Although the current cut off are currently 3.75, aim for a 4.0 in every single class, as cut-offs will most likely increase by the time you are ready to apply. Furthermore, by doing so, you will have more profs from whom you can get a strong reference letter. Also, try to align your second ug with an alternative career, that way if it doesn't work out, you still have a back up plan. If you manage to pull a nice GPA for your last 10 credits, you will get paid pretty well during grad school (if you're interested in pursing that route). Only write the MCAT once you AAMC practice scores are where they need to be to keep you competitive for the application cycle two years from now (ie. 12/12/12-R). Keep up with your ECs but a super high GPA is your main priority for the next couple of years.

You can do it!

________

DISCUSS VAPORIZERS

Thanks for the advice everyone :). I do realize the I will have to exponentially work harder given my past history. Old habits die hard but I think I have been kicked around enough to do better in the future. It's just I will be 3 years behind the typical premed. (2 years to do second degree, then 3rd year is the application cycle, then "4th" year is when I would start med if all goes well).

My last year GPA was 3.00. I know my mistakes and where I went wrong.

123coco - don't the MCAT marks stay valid for 5 years?

Also for the record, I am a she :)

123coco - don't the MCAT marks stay valid for 5 years?

Also for the record, I am a she :)

they are, but why put yourself through the hassle of writing twice when you can just write once and know that your scores are good enough to carry you for 5 years...my take at least

________

RC51

op, with a 90+ avg with a 5.0 course load in two consecutive years, you will have a strong shot at a few schools in Canada (Sask, Queens, UWO, Dalhousie and who knows maybe UofC as we do not know how they judge second degrees). Although the current cut off are currently 3.75, aim for a 4.0 in every single class, as cut-offs will most likely increase by the time you are ready to apply. Furthermore, by doing so, you will have more profs from whom you can get a strong reference letter. Also, try to align your second ug with an alternative career, that way if it doesn't work out, you still have a back up plan. If you manage to pull a nice GPA for your last 10 credits, you will get paid pretty well during grad school (if you're interested in pursing that route). Only write the MCAT once you AAMC practice scores are where they need to be to keep you competitive for the application cycle two years from now (ie. 12/12/12-R). Keep up with your ECs but a super high GPA is your main priority for the next couple of years.

You can do it!

I highly doubt its going to be 12/12/12 R. Even 11/11/11 R is more than enough. How many people actually get 12 on Verbal and R on writing at the same time? Western had to lower both the writing and bio section as well as the GPA cut off in order to increase verbal to 11 from a 10. And that way they got 400+ people only.

I highly doubt its going to be 12/12/12 R. Even 11/11/11 R is more than enough. How many people actually get 12 on Verbal and R on writing at the same time? Western had to lower both the writing and bio section in order to increase verbal to 11 from 10. And that way they got 400+ people only.

No school has ever had a 12 in anything before as the cut off so I would agree that that would be a very safe score but most probably overkill :)

Archived