Premed 101 Forums

French group

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest mojbird

How is waiting list for french people? is there any chance?

And those who got acceptance in French programme, are you gonna go to ottawa or another med school?

Thanks

Guest wassabi101

Hey all french applicants,

I just received my letter and I'm on the waiting list but I'm really confused as to whether I'm on the good or the bad waiting list. At orientation, they quoted the famous bad listed line....I can't seem to find the translation on my letter...but on the other hand, I don't see the good listed line either. Does anyone know how to find out?

My letter reads:

"Suite a votre demande d'admission a notre Faculte de medecine pour l'annee 2003-2004, le Comite des admissions a maintenant complete l'etude de votre dossier.

Nous avous maintenant offert l'admission aux cent-vingt trois candidat(e)s les plus haut place(e)s sur la liste d'orde sequentiel d'excellence.

Votre nom a ete place sur une liste d'attente. Au fur et a mesure que les etudiant(e)s accepte(e)s refuseront nos offres, les sieges disponibles seront alors offerts aux candidat(e)s sur la list d'attente selon un orde de priorite etabli par le Comite des admissions. Dans l'eventualite qu'un siege vous serait offert, vous en serez informe(e) soit par appel telephonique ou par lettre adressee a votre residence permanente.

Les candidat(e)s dont le nom aura ete place sur la liste d'attente seront informe(e)s par lettre des que la class sera complete.

Nous vous rappelons qu'une fois etablie, la sequence des noms sur la liste d'attente ne change pas. Toutefois, au fur et a mesure que des candidat(e)s sont admis(es) a partir de la liste d'attente, le numero de la position sur la liste change. Pour cette raison, veuillez vous abstenir de nous telephoner pour connaitre votre rang sur la liste car nous ne le donnerons pas.

Si vous recevez une offre d'admission (hors province), et vous desirez retirer votre nom de la competition, veuillez nous aviser par ecrit ou par courrier electronique.

Sincerement votre,

"

Help! I'm not too sure if I should be happy or disappointed??

Thanks,

-wassabi

Guest MayFlower1

Wassabi,

Thanks for the note. This is the good waitlist letter...you should be happy...unless, for some reason, they only have a single waitlist for the francophone program...I do believe there are good and bad waitlist letters for both programs...and this is definitely the "good" letter in that case.

Peter

Guest g22g

Hi Wassabi,

I concur with Peter. Using the language translator available from google (www.google.com/language_tools) the output becomes (and funny at times i.e."siege"...)

"Following your request for admission our Faculte of medicine for the year 2003-2004 has, the Committee of the admissions has complete now the study of your file. Us avous now offered the admission to the cent-vingt three candidat(e)s highest place(e)s on the list of orde sequentiel of excellence. Your name has ete place on a waiting list. As the etudiant(e)s accepte(e)s refuse our offers, the sieges available will then be offered to the candidat(e)s on the list of waiting according to a orde of priority established by the Committee of the admissions. In the eventualite that a siege would be offered to you, you will be informe(e) is by phone call or by letter adressee has your permanent residence. The candidat(e)s whose name will have ete place on the waiting list will be informe(e)s by letter as soon as the class is complete. We remind to you that once established, the sequence of the names on the waiting list does not change. However, as candidat(e)s are admis(es) from the waiting list, the number of the position on the list changes. For this reason, please abstain from us telephoner to know your row on the list because we will not give it. If you receive an offer of admission (except province), and you will desirez to withdraw your name of the competition, please warn us in writing or electronic mail. Sincerely your,

+_+_+_+_+_

Best wishes in the French programme I'll be in the English program so maybe you can help me with my conversational French,

g22g

Guest stargirl

wassabi,

that's awesome! congratulations!

i think i might go hunting down that strawberry cheesecake haagen daaz as i was "bad waitlisted"....

peter, i am contemplating sending the ottawa adcoms that rejection rejection letter!

stargirl

Guest wassabi101

Thanks for the help g22g, Peter and stargirl.

I called Ottawa U to check if there was a good and bad waitist. I'm unclear as to how the waitist moves, if it moves for all applicants on the list regardless of whether they applied to the French or the English program...it's quite confusing when they quote us numbers from 140 on...and not 40 on for French and 100 on for English (approx.) So I guess I'm semi-happy for now, until it's confirmed.

I"m really sorry to hear stargirl about your letter. I don't often read from the other schools postings, so I'm not sure if you also applied to other Ontario schools. I hope good luck comes your way through other schools or other events in your life. Let me know what you think of the ice-cream..

wassabi

Guest wassabi101

Hey g22g!

Yes if I get into the French program, I would more than glad to speak to you in French in order to practise your conversational French. It'll be good for me to start talking again in French as despite me being in Montreal, I've used a lot more English these last few years than I did when I was living at home in Gatineau.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

-wassabi

Guest WTBMED3

I was accepted to the french program at Ottawa. I was also accepted at 2 other ontario schools....so good luck to those on the waiting list because I am rejecting my offer from Ottawa. ;)

Guest wassabi101

:) Thanks for the info WTBMED3!!

One less......*x more* to go ;)

Congrats on your acceptances elsewhere! Out of curiosity, why did you decide to reject Ottawa?

-wassabi

Guest mojbird

Hi wassabi101

Can I please ask you what your GPA was? If you don't mind. And are you franco-ontarien or franco in Outaouais?

Thanks.

Guest wassabi101

Hey mojbird,

It all depends on which one?--I completed my Master's with a GPA of 3.95/4.0 but my undergrad GPA was only 3.3ish/4.0.

I'm not sure if you know this but at Ottawa, for graduate applicants, you need a minimum of 3.3 undergrad and then A's in your graduate courses to be asked for more info (that is, publications etc.) I don't have a very high undergrad GPA but fortunately, I have a good publication record, so I believe that and my area of residence must have gotten me an interview. After interviews, I believe everyone's in the same pool, except that they add a certain constant to all grad students undergrad GPA, along with your interview score, and rank you accordingly.

I'm a franco-outaouais, such that my permanent residence is in Gatineau, and my first language is French, but I'm not certain I was considered as such. I've studied in English through out all my life and I'm not too sure if they considered me as an Outaouais applicant if both my undergrad and grad was in Montreal. I got all confused at orientation with this.

Hope that answers your questions!

If you're not a graduate student and neither a franco-ontarian or a franco-outaouais, the competition is really high for Ottawa's french program, so don't beat yourself up over it. Did you apply to other french universities such as U of M, Sherbrooke, Laval?

-wassabi

Guest mojbird

Hi

Thanks for the info. I finished my bac. I applied at Montreal U but didn't get in. However, I got into dentistry at montreal U. It is good. But my first choice is med. I got the admission 2 years ago in dentistry too but didn't go cause I wanted to study at Ottawa in Sciences. So this year, again, I applied to med at ottawa , montreal and dentistry at montreal (which I got). How about you? didn't you apply any where else?

How are the chances do you think to get with a good waiting list?

mojbird

Guest wassabi101

Hey mojbird-

Well there was really no point of applying to Sherbrooke and U Laval because they only give you one extra mark on your cote R if and only if you've actually already graduated from your Master's, which I haven't . With that said, my undergrad GPA wasn't high enough to even consider applying :rolleyes . They don't even count your grad marks as part of your GPA. :(

For U of M, however, they do take into consideration Master's marks into the Cote R calculation despite not yet having graduated....but there's been mix up with my McGill transcript and it's just being cleared up now so it might be a few weeks before I find out from U of M.

As for getting off the waiting list, the more I come to think of it, the more I think I might not have a very good chance being in the good waiting list of the French Stream. 130 interviews were conducted this year, and I have no idea how many got rejected, bad waitlisted and good waitlisted specifically for the French Stream. Since there are only 35 spots or so, there's not really much room for movement....so I really don't know. I'm just crossing my fingers really tightly! :\

Good luck on your acceptance into dentistry at U of M! Do you think you'll re-apply again to medicine next year?

-wassabi

Guest stargirl

hey wassabi...

i don't know how it works for the french program but i would assume that it is the same as for the english one...so, i would tend to think that if you got a good waitlist letter then you have a pretty decent chance...so don't cross your fingers too tightly...or you might not be able to sign those acceptance forms :rollin

i wish you the very best of luck in the coming weeks.

stargirl

Guest mojbird

yeah, I would apply again for med next year. So where is your first choice? Ottawa or Montreal U?

I have read this article in the newspaper that the best med school is toronto, and montreal U is right after and Mcgill is the third one.

Good luck with your waiting list.

Guest wassabi101

nor eat any suishi stargirl ;) Good luck in your plans too!

mojbird, Ottawa's my first choice.....U of M, I am really not impressed with their organization....the way they calculate their cote R doesn't make any sense....they never answer their phone...and they're so freggin slow ever getting back to you....plus when they do, they're real bitchy on the phone! :rolleyes

I'm glad to hear you'll be applying again! If you want to get in, you'll get in. This is my third time applying to medical school and I'm much closer now than I was before!

Cheers,

-wassabi

Guest tappety tap

WASSABI....I never got a chance to congratulate you on the good waitlist spot!! I really hope we will be classmates next year. Then we can say...."remember how we met? caps med school interview workshop....those were the days...."

lol! good luck...and keep us up to date!!!

Guest wassabi101

Hey TAPPETY TAP :D

By the way, I love your name! It's so rhythmic! :D

Thanks for the congrats and a congrats to you too! It would be amazing to both be at Ottawa U med next september...I'd sneak over to your class and we could talk epi like the good old times ;) .

Tell me, did you end up finding a research job in Ottawa after all? If I did get into med school this fall, I'd probably want to continue with some research on the side for a few hours a week but haven't yet looked up the possibilities.

Good luck to you in these coming weeks!

Cheers,

wassabi

Archived