Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa meds tour?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Not this weekend, but the next, I'll be heading up to Ottawa to spend four days at a conference. During that time I was hoping to check out some of the Ottawa U. meds facilities to try to get a first-hand feel for the environment. Given that I've never stepped foot on the Ottawa U. campus in general, can you guys suggest any buildings to target during the tour? (I'm assuming, of course, that the Ottawa U. medical school doesn't offer any sort of tour themselves? :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wassabi101

Hey Kirsteen,

The main campus downtown most likely offers tours but I'm not sure about the health sciences campus (called Roger Guindon Hall). Besides walking around and getting lost within the PBL maze, the auditoriums, checking out where admin is, the lounge, the library, the student council office, the student i.d office, (which are all in the SAME building) and then the children's hospital on one side (Tim Horton's!), and the General Hospital (with resto, bookstore, candy stop), I can't really think of anything else you could go visit. Everything's really close together, so plan out 1 hour max, and if you're staying downtown, take the 85 heading east, roughly a 20 min bus ride.

Cheers,

Karen

Guest UOMeds06

Hi Kirsteen,

I'd check with the ambassador program (http://www.uottawa.ca) and see if they can give you a tour of RGN. Most services (if not all) are available at both campuses. Some one here in the first or second year class might be able to give you a tour if you new exactly when you'd be here. Enjoy Ottawa!

UOMeds06

Guest Kirsteen

Hey again, and thanks for your posts.

I scouted around the U. Ottawa website and found the ambassador pages. However, when I registered for a tour it appears to be quite a general one, even though you can select your area of interest. :rolleyes

I'll be arriving next Saturday and leaving on Tuesday, with both of those days packed with activities, so I was hoping to visit the campus on Sunday or Monday.

On a related note, what are the good Ottawa eats? Some friends recommended Beckta (sp?). Have you guys heard of it? How about an Indian recommendation--which one is the most brilliant? Peter Hill, where are you when I need you? ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds06

Hi Kirsteen,

Obviously, you're much more likely to see stuff on Monday as opposed to Sunday, but if you can do Saturday afternoon, I believe I had arranged for two of my classmates to give a tour to a premed group coming in from Laurentian. I think I said 1pm...but not sure. Incidentally, most of the 1st and second years will be at the Med/Law games that on that day.

Indian food: let's see...my BBs (brown buddies) really like the East India Company, they say it's the best. I haven't been there yet but I've tried Nagina, Roses Cafe (same as Roses Cafe Too and Roses Cafe Also), Haveli's, Moti Malal, and a few others. Both Haveli's and Moti Malal have all you can eat and a la carte. They're all decent, but I'd go with the East India Company....I trust my BBs.

The market has a million restaurants....can't go wrong with any of them really. I've never heard of Beckta. If you vegetarian, I've heard that the Table is REALLY good and it's pay by weight.

Best of luck,

UOMeds06

There's a small chance that I'll be around late Friday morning, but I believe I've got something scheduled. No guarantees! :\

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Thanks for your input. East India Company, eh? Yumm, I'll have to look it up.

Sounds like Monday may be the day for the tour, so if any of you guys see a stranger wandering/admiring the halls, say hello--it could be me. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For you Ottawa foodies out there, here is a link to Beckta (the restau recommended by one of my Ottawa pals):

Beckta-Ottawa

Judging by the prices, it looks like it's a bit of a special occasion joint. Has anyone had any special occasions recently and gone? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Well, it's been fabulous to get to know Ottawa a little better (and a soggy Ottawa at that, with all the rain in the past couple of days). I'd never been to Byward Market before, and I've seen few areas so dense with restaus. The National Gallery--what an incredible, impressive place. One question though: I've been taking a cursory look around the city from the point of view of potentially living here, and I was wondering: if you're coming to Ottawa to attend medical school, what neighbourhoods would you recommend that are: a) close to the medical school; B) contain good resources; c) relatively safe?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds06

a) Close to the school is a region that the med students call the Pixley area. Pixley is really one street that has assimilated the area. Any where in Alta Vista is pretty much walking distance though some people dread to make the walk in Ottawa winters. There are a number of buildings on Riverside drive and Smyth that house lots of med students. Alta Vista drive is also a popular housing street.

B) close to resources would have to be Sandy Hill. It's walking distance to the market where you find most of the evening entertainment. Would can also find a grocery store within walking distance as well. If you don't have transportation, there is a shuttle bus that runs from main campus to the health sci campus but it only runs once and hour and twice during peak. Sandy Hill is beside the main campus.

c) Everywhere in Ottawa is safe compared to most other major cities. The incidence of reported violence is considerably small for a city of the size. However, no megacity goes unscaved from petty crime but it's not a major consideration when looking at either of the two afore mentioned areas. When you get away from these areas, you may want to inquire about safety though. Best of luck!

UOMeds06

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Thanks for the tips. In TO, I'm a forty second walk from a Starbucks, huge grocery store and an excellent source of magazines (a necessity for downtime), so ideally I'd love to find similar in Ottawa were I to move here. As to safety, while out in various parts of Byward Market this weekend, I ran into a few pretty whacky looking situations and/or people, so although initially glossy, it seemed that the area was lined with a little darkness.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest tappety tap

Kirsteen

I would say that living in the market can be a little sketchy. However, Sandy Hill is a great option in my opinion...it's a better area since it's a student ghetto of sorts. It's still very close to everything by foot.

I am living in Sandy Hill and loving it. I lived in downtown Montreal prior to moving here so I was also did not want to give up being able to walk to a coffee shop! ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I went out with some Ottawa pals for dinner this eve and when I mentioned the same subject they too mentioned Sandy Hill. Good stuff to know--thanks! If I receive an interview invitation this year then they're going to spend some time and take me through the neighbourhoods. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Actually, it's neat as my U. Ottawa pal was on the squash team with me for years and just started her tenure-track UofO professorship in September (although not in meds), so it was interesting to hear her perspective on education and planning it at that level (in addition to seeing more of the city). Incidentally, her mum is a practicing physician and lecturer for the UofO MD programme.

Cheers for the luck,

Kirsteen

Guest everyoneloveschem

Next time you get to Ottawa, check out the Table, it is soooo goood!!! (unless you are a meat eating colon cancer wishin' kind of person!).;)

Guest UOMeds06

I've heard that about the Table. I think I recommended in a past post.

I wonder if I've had your friends mom as a teacher? Probably have...if not, then by the end of this year.

UOMeds06

Archived