Premed 101 Forums

Additional reference letters

I understand that grad applicants to U of T may submit three additional reference letters, but I'm having trouble locating additional referees. The most I can find is two. Does anyone know if the lack of references would jeopardize my chances of getting in?

Also, what academic position should the referees have? I'm thinking of contacting a seminar leader for one of the courses I took since she was the one who marked all my assignments (including a final research proposal on which I got an A+) and I got to know her on a more personal level than the course coordinator. She has both an MD and a PHD. Another potential referee is my supervisor's colleague. However, although he's a researcher, he only has an MHSc. Is it a good idea to obtain reference letters from these individuals? I would like your honest opinions. Thank you.

I think UofT states that these references should comment on your research in grad school. You should aim it towards that. The first one is fine, the second sounds a bit sketchy... your supervisor has a 'colleague' that has only a masters? Is this a lab tech? If you get a reference from this person, the people reviewing your file may mistaken him/her for YOUR colleague and not your supervisors if that makes any sense.

If you're in grad school, why not get your committee members to write you references? Ask your supervisor for ideas too, you never know, maybe he's been talking about you to other people.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived