Premed 101 Forums

Some Questions regarding First Year

Guest Shahenshah

Guest Shahenshah

I did read a thread a while ago regarding life as a first year student at UofO...I thought that gave a better insight into the class schedule...I'm curious to know as to what the lifestyle is like for first year students..more specifically is it going to be studies 24/7 or is there time to pursue other interests/hobbies..

also regarding orientation, the second week of orientation seems to overlap with the first week of class..was this an issue for the students last year, or was it quite easy to handle both for that one week..

I'm sure all of these questions will be answered within a month from now but the curiosity still remains..so if anyone out there can elaborate on these questions from their experiences, that would be great.

thanx

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447760</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>HOLY CR#P - I'm in...</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>mtws</username>

<dateline>1061398080</dateline>

<title>HOLY CR#P - I'm in...</title>

<pagetext>...And the dubious distinction of being the very last entrant into the UofO class of '007, goes to... ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cr@p I did it.

Long story short, about me...

BSc (Biochem), BScH (Physiology), MSc (Neuroscience), Have been a College Professor (and Biotechnology Program Coordinator) for close to 2 years now. 13 years Military Service (Primary Reserves), 4 medical school application cycles over the past 6 years (two years with interviews). Turned 30 in June, have a beautiful 3-and-a-half-year-old baby girl at home, have wanted this since I can remember...And a partridge in a pair tree... :D I am seriously giddy, sorry.

I want to say thank you to all the posters here, and the academy :lol . No seriously, your openness, honesty, and willingness to help one another is refreshing. I was sorry to hear about Peter's mom and want to express my condolences. Peter, if you read this, thank you for your optimism and good luck at Nortel?, and with the next application cycle.

And to all of you hangers on... Don't give up. If you're sure this is what you want... Go for it. It'll happen... I'm living proof! I'm teaching my last College class (for at least 11 years) at 1430hrs this afternoon... Handing in grades on Friday... then I am out of here... One week of vacation, and two weeks of "Orientation" (which I intend to take full advantage of... if the wife'll let me out, hehehe :b ).

Holy cr#p I did it...

Cheers,

Matt

Oh ya, one final dilemma... is this a Moet and Chandon (retail ~$55) or a Dom Perignon ($162) moment?

Guest wassabi101

WOW that's amazing!! Congratulations! and looking forward to meeting you soon! :D

By the way, I'm curious as to whether you were on the good waiting list?

wassabi

Guest Shahenshah

AMAZING!:) ..welcome welcome welcome:D ..can't wait to see everyone during orientation..why don't you try to come for the little get together wassabi has organized..I'm sure we would all love to have u there..

Guest lsaville

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to meeting you. You seem to have a very interesting story and have demonstrated such determination!

I was wondering if what they told you when they called. It seems so late in the year to get a call, but all the better for you right :D

-lsaville

Thank you so much...

I'll try to explain some of my confusing situation... The military is sponsoring my position and it took them a while to sort out some issues regarding my place... I was told I had a spot back in June but no one would put it in writing for me until it was finalized... I was very worried all summer that something would go wrong in the Military bureaucracy and it would not come through on time... That's why I refrained from posting anything about my news... But they came through yesterday. I'm finally going to medical school. I've been waiting (not too patiently) since June 1 to find out if it was really going to happen. It did. I'm in. I received my interview based on my graduate record and am going under a military sponsored position.

Cheers,

Matt

None of my students showed up for class!? (There are only three in the class (long story) - but none of them showed up... isn't that a fitting end to a very short-lived career...?!)

Ha! Oh well, no worries... I'm going to med school...

Cheers,

Matt

Guest MayFlower1

Hey Matt...

What can I say...except that they're slow learners (smile). I was hoping you'd get in this year...good for you! Go show em what us old guys can do, eh?

As for me...yup...another cycle coming up. For now, however, I am the manager of primary market research for Corel Corporation...my primary objective is to help the corporation see the way towards success and help them out of the quagmire they've been in as of late...things are looking excellent...having fun...great company...tons of potential...hey...it's all good!

Congrats again MTWS...I'm really really happy for you.

Peter

Guest UOMeds06

Congrats MTWS!!!

I'll smiling from ear to ear for you now! Wow, that's some great news! It'll be great to have you in the new class! Let this be a lesson that perseverence PAYS OFF! You've been loyal to this board for a while now, I'm looking forward to finally meeting you.

BREAK OUT THE BUBBLY!! A bottle of Dom for you, a bottle of CRYS-TAL for me!

Be ready at 0900 on September two.

Agent 006

Guest scream007

Hi Matt:

Congrats dude ! Very nice!! That's the spirit. I LOVE it. We need more people like you in med :) . I am sure you will make a great doctor man :) . Can't wait to meet ya.

ciao,

Ben

So,

I went for the MOET... (Maybe a little too frugal of me but, I'll save the Crystal for grad night... :lol ) Thanks for all your kind words.

My wife wants me to point out that my first two attempted apps shouldn't count because I knew I was really borderline at the time... She thinks it was bold of me to reveal that to you guys... and a little too depricating somehow? I figure - it's the truth - so how can it hurt... ?!

Whatever "...I was born in the summer of my thirtieth year going home to a place I'd never been..."

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone... Looking forward to meeting you all in about a week. (My boss booked us a tee off at 'Manderley on the Green' for my last day send off. So I'm hitting the links tomorrow... Let the Vacation...and the next chapter... begin)

Cheers and thanks again,

Matt

Guest UWOMED2005

Don't matter how many times you've tried.

Don't matter how many times you've failed.

When writing orders or prescriptions, all that matters is the MD.

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Hi Everybody :)</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>scream007</username>

<dateline>1061333160</dateline>

<title>Hi Everybody :)</title>

<pagetext>Hi People:

My name is Ben and .. I am a 007 too. first time ever on this website :) . Have no idea what's going on. One of my friends (med007) introduced me to this website. I'd really like to get to know you all and see what backgrounds u r coming from. sooo if you don't mind, post a couple of lines about who u r and what u r doin'. replies from 007 ones would be really appreciated :) . But I 'd really like to get to know all of you. This would also be good coz if you have noticed there are increasin' number of people sigining up at the website everyday so it will be nice if there're some kinda introduction postin' from each one of us :) .

thank you all in advance,

take care and enjoy these last days of summer coz u r about to experience something very..different, I guess, at med school.

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Some Questions regarding First Year</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Some Questions regarding First Year</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived