Premed 101 Forums

looking to swap into family medicine

hi, im interested in transferring into family medicine. im currently in a competitive specialty, but decided its not the route for me.

if you are in family and thinking about switching out, or know someone who is, let me know.

i wish we had some kind of national system, where residents could post their interest in switching. i saw this 'resident swap' website for the states, but it doesn't apply to canadian trainees, and it was rather expensive. im sure there is someone interested in switching with me, but its just so dang hard to find them.

hi, im interested in transferring into family medicine. im currently in a competitive specialty, but decided its not the route for me.

if you are in family and thinking about switching out, or know someone who is, let me know.

i wish we had some kind of national system, where residents could post their interest in switching. i saw this 'resident swap' website for the states, but it doesn't apply to canadian trainees, and it was rather expensive. im sure there is someone interested in switching with me, but its just so dang hard to find them.

Can't help you there, but do you necessarily need to find somebody to swap with? If there's space and money available you theoretically should be able to do it without swapping. As far as "space" goes, family medicine residencies are generally pretty big and wouldn't have much of a problem squeezing in an extra. And for money, as I understand it at least in Ontario, your funding is attached to *you* and not your residency position.

It kinda screws over your current program if you up and leave, it's a lot nicer from a manpower point-of-view to swap. But if you've got a program lined up to receive you, I don't think your current program director can block a transfer. I could be wrong about that, though. Maybe talk to your pairo (or equivalent) rep about the details so you know what you can and can't do.

hi

it is not easy to enter into family medicine. i have been trying and there are no spots open. transferring is not as easy as everyone thinks, funding is one issue, getting a program to let you in, is the much bigger problem. finding someone to swap is one of the few alternatives i have left.

other than to wait for 2nd iteration carms next year. i have been told by many programs, including family, this is what i might end up having to do.

Archived