Premed 101 Forums

2nd Degree and UofT/Mcmaster

Hi, id be glad if some one could clear this,

I am finishing my first degree a bachelors of science and going on to do a 2 year compressed nursing program at York, in my first undergrad i almost have no fulltime years, having dropped at least one or two courses each year. Now the second undergrad is supposed to be done in 2 years and each year is definitely going to be full time.(including two summers) i know i can do really well (looking at my performance this year/better circumstances and even stronger determination) I have no idea how its going to work after iam done my second undergrad, if i apply to uoft or mcmaster, would uoft consider all of my undergrad years including the first and second even if the first were not full time i.e 30 credits completed each year excluding summer courses,

the marks from my first undergrad are poor for the first two years to be considered for med school, hence my decision to do a second undergrad, I really wanted to go to UofT for med but unfortunately, I had lack of information and bad life circumstances and i cant turn back time.

Should i stop dreaming about UofT or second choice Mac, are there schools in ontario that would only consider marks from my second degree? Or would UofT not consider my first undergrad since they werent full time...how is going to work?:confused:

Basically my ultimate goal is medical school, for which iam not willing to give up, and I want to stay in ontario atleast.

Should i consider improving my grades and doing a grad instead of a 2nd undergrad?? would UofT still consider my undergrad if i have a masters.

Hi, id be glad if some one could clear this,

I am finishing my first degree a bachelors of science and going on to do a 2 year compressed nursing program at York, in my first undergrad i almost have no fulltime years, having dropped at least one or two courses each year. Now the second undergrad is supposed to be done in 2 years and each year is definitely going to be full time.(including two summers) i know i can do really well (looking at my performance this year/better circumstances and even stronger determination) I have no idea how its going to work after iam done my second undergrad, if i apply to uoft or mcmaster, would uoft consider all of my undergrad years including the first and second even if the first were not full time i.e 30 credits completed each year excluding summer courses,

the marks from my first undergrad are poor for the first two years to be considered for med school, hence my decision to do a second undergrad, I really wanted to go to UofT for med but unfortunately, I had lack of information and bad life circumstances and i cant turn back time.

Should i stop dreaming about UofT or second choice Mac, are there schools in ontario that would only consider marks from my second degree? Or would UofT not consider my first undergrad since they werent full time...how is going to work?:confused:

Basically my ultimate goal is medical school, for which iam not willing to give up, and I want to stay in ontario atleast.

Should i consider improving my grades and doing a grad instead of a 2nd undergrad?? would UofT still consider my undergrad if i have a masters.

Hi there!

Ok, I am going to ask for a few more details just to help with things - can you break down your GPA and the number of courses you took by year for us? That will help with some of the schools and their special rules.

The short answer is it is really, really hard to recover for U of T and Mac because they consider all your courses in your case (you don't qualify for the drop a course policy at U of T and it doesn't sound like you have done summer courses which U of T also wouldn't count, Mac just takes everything unfortunately). Pulling up a GPA is hard when the target is kind of close to the highest score you can get (takes a lot of 4.0 courses to pull a single 2.0 for instance as an example to an average of 3.8-3.9)

However the other schools in Ontario do have policies that will help you - Western will take your two best years from your second degree (if it is both then I guess that is pretty easy to calculate :)), Queen you best last two years, Ottawa your last 3 years and NOSM will consider only your last degree. Because of all of these last X years/best years policies I was hoping to get that break down I mentioned.

Having a grad degree really does help for Toronto specifically - not really as much directly for the others and we can look at that as well depending on your overall GPA.

Archived