Premed 101 Forums

Epi 101

Guest wassabi101

Hi Wassabi,

You are dead on about the time crunch of preparing for the MCAT, applications, and interviews while trying to conduct a Ph.D. You will also have to be careful about the stigma from your Ph.D. advisor and co-students will have because they think your heart isn't in your work because you are only place holding a few years for your true dream. Go for more education if your GPA doesn't get pass the cutoffs because there is really nothing else to do; it appears you don't require that.

My solution for you is to be a technician for a MD/PhD or MD scientist. This way they will understand your passion, you will make money, get a great letter, be able to prioritize (also meaning time to do more patient care see below), and have no strings attached. I saw this work exceedingly well for a technician for a MD/PhD doc (who happen to be on the adcom) at the University of Maryland Medical school in Baltimore, where I was doing a summer sabbatical.

For patient care, direct one on one interaction is best. No shadowing and no babies with that lack an opinion on health care. Unless you are already a doc or a nurse this is hard to come by. I gained my spiritual/medical experiences while volunteering at a hospice in-patient center. Anywhere else that has you performing CPR is another place I would recommend; we had a program through the university at local hospital emergency rooms.

I interviewed at Ottawa with the Grads on Apr. 17th, and we never even got a chance to talk about my research (even though everyone laughed after I suggested/interjected the idea when one of the interviewer started to say "Since we have more time..." ; all we did was expand on my patient care experiences and ethical dilemmas.

My fingers are crossed for both of us!

g22g

Guest wassabi101

Hey g22g :D

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not too sure if I should continue doing research though, since I've done so much of it over the last five years and am ready to try something bigger and better (or so the expression goes ;) )...I might opt to work/travel abroad for 6 months and then take 2 months for my MCAT, and the rest finishing up on my thesis and my current research...the last thing I want to do is to arrive to a med interview next year and sound like I've been slacking off for a year cause I had no idea what to do post-rejection....do you know what I mean?

Good luck to you too-

-wassabi

Archived