Premed 101 Forums

Internal medicine subspecialty training in the US

Hey,

I am a canadian medical graduate doing my three year internal medicine training here in Canada and was thinking about doing further subspecialty training in the US (i.e. in cardio, nephro, resp etc.) Do you know of anyone who has done this? More importantly do you know if we have to have our USMLE steps done? I unfortunately did not write my step 1 as a medical student and I think doing it as a resident is quite difficult esp. if you want to do well. I have heard conflicting views regarding this. Some claim that your LMCC's are considered equivalent and there is no need to write the USMLE's. I'd appreciate any advice on this matter.

Cheers

It varies by state. Some have reciprocity agreements, and will accept the LMCC exams in lieu of the USMLE, others won't. The type of visa available (J-1 vs H1-B; H1B allows moonlighting and is preferred) may also depend on having passed the USMLE. The only way to reliably get this information is to contact the state licensing board and ask directly; there's lots of misinformation/out of date info online.

Hey,

I am a canadian medical graduate doing my three year internal medicine training here in Canada and was thinking about doing further subspecialty training in the US (i.e. in cardio, nephro, resp etc.) Do you know of anyone who has done this? More importantly do you know if we have to have our USMLE steps done? I unfortunately did not write my step 1 as a medical student and I think doing it as a resident is quite difficult esp. if you want to do well. I have heard conflicting views regarding this. Some claim that your LMCC's are considered equivalent and there is no need to write the USMLE's. I'd appreciate any advice on this matter.

Cheers

3 year internal medicine training? Like a 3 year IM residency? How's that possible? Isn't IM 5 years in Canada?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking of doing the same, and am in the same boat as I haven't written step 1 yet....One other thing that I was worried about was studying for the canadian royal college while in the states...any thoughts on this?

Yeah I'm totally in the same boat as you but I think I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I first need to figure out how things work for those of us who haven't written our steps or figure out a way to write the steps in residency without ending up killing myself. I think the Step 1 is going to be incredibly brutal because of the amount of material and the fact that it's not exactly immediately relevant to residency. You probably also have to do fairly well on them. The perfect time to have written it was after second year. I missed my chance, I think.

Archived