Premed 101 Forums

Physical Therapy and Med School Apps

Hey Everyone,

I will be attending my first year of PT this September and I'm really torn between applying for med school now or next year.

The program is two years and I'm not sure whether I should complete it or just go into med school right after my first year (granted I get accepted this cycle).

On the one hand, I would finish medicine one year earlier, but on the other, I would only be one year away from getting a master's degree.

Advice anyone?

Also, if I apply this year, would schools know that I am in PT and is this a bad thing (that I would leave without finishing it)? It isn't research-based, so I don't know if the same rules apply. And secondly, if I apply next year, would my program be considered? Many schools i.e. McMaster say that I have to finish my Master's first then apply, but I won't complete my degree until the following August.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dee

Your choice has already been made for you. You need to disclose your are a Masters student in a 2 year program - and you will not be considered! Waste of money. So, you need to wait til next year.

If you were at McGill dooing the QY qualifying Year for the professional masters program in PT, youwould be able to apply this year as you would not be in the Masters Program yet.

They cannot do it legally and can be kicked out of med school for deceit/lack of full disclosure at any point. They are fools, have put their potential future careers in serious jeopardy and suffer from exceedingly bad judgment attemtping to cut corners like that. They will needto look over their shoulders forever.

As far as I know there are schools that will accept you out of the middle of your program, OP. Just email the one's you're interested in right now and find out what their policy is, then update this thread for so we can pass it on.

Agreed. I also believe that a PT or OT masters program is viewed differently from a research thesis-based masters for the purpose of applying to medical school (at least I know I came across that somewhere in all my research for at least one school, but at the moment I can't remember the details). Definitely check with the medical schools!

Hey Guys,

I've contacted McMaster, Queens, and Ottawa and they don't seem to mind applying while still in a Master's program.

So now that that is out of the way...what should I do? Apply this year or the next? There are pros and cons to both options so I really don't know what to do.

Should I wait that extra year and get my Masters or apply right away?

Hey, you taught us all something.

My advice is apply this year and hope to get in. If not, perhaps you will get to interview and have some experience. If you don't get in this year, contiune with your Masters and apply next year.

Whatever happens, it is win-win. On the basis that med is your ultimate goal, start the process now.

Best of luck!

Archived