Premed 101 Forums

Clinical cases thread

Instead of cluttering the forum with lots of questions, let's put cases in this thread.

A 34-year-old man is admitted to the hospital with jaundice. He has a 12-year history of ulcerative colitis. Ultrasound of the right upper quadrant shows a large extrahepatic bile duct diameter and no gallstones. Liver biopsy shows a large bile duct obstruction. Which of the following findings is most likely on ERCP?

A. Alternating constriction and dilation of intrahepatic bile ducts

B. Markedly dilated common bile duct containing irregular radiolucent masses

C. Mass at the ampulla of Vater

D. Moderately dilated intrahepatic bile ducts and stricture in the bile duct at the porta hepatis

E. Severely dilated biliary tree terminating in a blunt, nipple-like obstruction at the lower end of the common bile duct

Mac iPad Video Converter is iPad Video Converter working on Mac OS X. It is specially-designed video converter to convert any popular video file (You tube, TS, TOD, MKV, MTS, AVI, FLV, WMV, MPG, M4V, RM, MOV, etc.) to iPad video MP4, MPEG, H.264 on Mac with high speed and great quality.

When you free download videos from youtube.com and you want to enjoy them on your iPad. Here Mac YouTube to iPad Converter is suitable for you. You can convert any YouTube videos to iPad MP4 video formats.

Mac AVI to iPad Converter is necessary for us to have a try, which can help you convert all AVI videos and other popular video formats like WMV, 3GP, MPEG, VOB, FLV, Xvid to iPad supported MP4 video format.

Mac MOV to iPad Converter is your best choice to convert MOV files to iPad MP4

Yep, it is PSC, answer is A. 2/3 of people with PSC have a history of colitis. "The disease is characterized by inflammation and fibrosis of the intrahepatic and extrahepatic bile ducts, producing alternating strictures and dilatation. These changes are seen as 'beading' on ERCP."

B describes gallstones in the biliary tree

C describes findings of carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater

D describes the findings associated with carcinoma of extrahepatic bile ducts.

E describes pancreatic carcinoma

• 3 weeks later...

I like this Q. A 30 year old African-American female presents to your clinic with a fever and throat pain. She has a history of hyperthyroidism which is being medically managed. She is febrile with a mildly elevated heart rate, all other vitals wnl. On physical exam you find no significant findings. Which is the next appropriate step?

A. TSH and T3/T4 levels

B. ESR and P-ANCA, C-ANCA levels

C. Empiric antibiotic therapy

D. WBC count w/ differential

E. Acetaminophen and oral hydration

Thought I'd add a new case...it's a bit long, but has a neat 'twist'...enjoy!

A 56-year-old man is evaluated for anorexia and a 5-kg (11-lb) unintentional weight loss over the preceding 4 months. He has vague abdominal discomfort and occasional flank pain.

On physical examination, the BMI is 27 and the blood pressure is 108/72 mm Hg. Examination is unremarkable.

CT scan of the abdomen shows a 6-cm left adrenal mass. Attenuation value of the mass is 32 Hounsfield units. The margins of the lesion are irregular and the consistency is heterogeneous. Radiographic evaluation of the lungs and kidneys reveals no other abnormality.

Plasma fractionated metanephrines are normal. Plasma aldosterone/plasma renin activity (ARR) is 6 (normal <12). Serum cortisol at 0800 hrs after dexamethasone 1 mg the preceding evening is 1.4 µg/dL (38.63 nmol/L).

Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in the management of this patient?

A. Selective adrenal venous sampling

B. Repeat biochemical testing and CT in 6 months

C. Iodocholesterol imaging of adrenals

D. Referral for surgical resection of mass

I'd go with "D"...my thinking is that one of the more serious risks associated with pharmco mngt of hyperthyroidism is agranulocytosis, and we should rule that out first.

Good call, good call. Methimazole and propylthiouracil both cause agranulocytosis in a small % of patients and is something you need to rule out in someone presenting like that. D is right.

Thought I'd add a new case...it's a bit long, but has a neat 'twist'...enjoy!

A 56-year-old man is evaluated for anorexia and a 5-kg (11-lb) unintentional weight loss over the preceding 4 months. He has vague abdominal discomfort and occasional flank pain.

On physical examination, the BMI is 27 and the blood pressure is 108/72 mm Hg. Examination is unremarkable.

CT scan of the abdomen shows a 6-cm left adrenal mass. Attenuation value of the mass is 32 Hounsfield units. The margins of the lesion are irregular and the consistency is heterogeneous. Radiographic evaluation of the lungs and kidneys reveals no other abnormality.

Plasma fractionated metanephrines are normal. Plasma aldosterone/plasma renin activity (ARR) is 6 (normal <12). Serum cortisol at 0800 hrs after dexamethasone 1 mg the preceding evening is 1.4 µg/dL (38.63 nmol/L).

Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in the management of this patient?

A. Selective adrenal venous sampling

B. Repeat biochemical testing and CT in 6 months

C. Iodocholesterol imaging of adrenals

D. Referral for surgical resection of mass

This guy has no signs of catecholamine production, a normal dxm suppression test, and normal aldosterone levels, so I don't see how A,or C would help unless he had physical findings that suggested otherwise and you wanted to make sure you weren't missing a hormone-secreting tumor. It could be an early tumor of the adrenal that hasn't started secreting yet so you could wait (option B), but given the heterogenous/malignant appearance on CT scan and the constitutional symptoms/weight loss, I'd be worried about a malignant adrenocortical carcinoma, play it safe and chop it out right aways, so option D.

This guy has no signs of catecholamine production, a normal dxm suppression test, and normal aldosterone levels, so I don't see how A,or C would help unless he had physical findings that suggested otherwise and you wanted to make sure you weren't missing a hormone-secreting tumor. It could be an early tumor of the adrenal that hasn't started secreting yet so you could wait (option B), but given the heterogenous/malignant appearance on CT scan and the constitutional symptoms/weight loss, I'd be worried about a malignant adrenocortical carcinoma, play it safe and chop it out right aways, so option D.

Agree. Big tumour and no clinical or lab evidence of pheo = go directly to surgery.

Archived