Premed 101 Forums

Information Sessions

Guest Tanya24

Guest Tanya24

Hello everyone, did anyone attend one of the info sessions on their interview days? Could anyone share what they learned regarding number of interviewees, wait list numbers, etc? I missed the session when I was in town, but I would really appreciate if anyone could fill me in. Any info is appreciated. Thanks very much. :)

Guest martyb

Hi Tanya

Sorry, I haven't had mine yet, but I'll give everyone a summary of everything I can remember on Saturday night. I know Peter has already answered one of my questions based on what he learned at his information session, so he can probably help you :)

marty

Guest Emila

I think they said they're interviewing 516 applicants. They will send out 123 acceptances (is that the correct number of seats?) at first.

The interview is scored out of 4. All people with a 4.0 on the interview will then be ranked based on their WGPA + autobiographical sketch score. They said the next highest score on the interview is 3.75 so then all those people will be ranked. It seemed like anybody who had an interview score less than 3.5 didn't have much of a chance of getting in.

The bottom 250 people will be on the "bad waitlist" and the rest will be on the "good waitlist".

They mentioned that last year (when they emailed out acceptances) too many people phoned in to find out if they were getting an email. So it sounded like they hadn't decided if they were going to use email this year or not.

Let me know if you have any questions or correct me if I'm wrong about something.

Guest MayFlower1

Emila,

Thanks for the information. Man, I hope they take advantage of email this year again...it's unfortunate this advance in the admissions process (which ultimately benefits us) may not be used because of extra work it causes the school in PR.

Peter

Guest martyb

Thanks Emilia

You've mentioned pretty much everything I was going to say. The 123 figure is correct. There are a few more people admitted through an agreement with the military and the Programme nationale, but they are in their own category. The number of people they can actually admit is slightly lower though (118) because of five deferrals from last year. They think that 123 is the limit for now because the PBL rooms and other facilities cannot accomodate any more students.

The school will send out the big envelope by priority post on the last working Friday of May (no discussion of emails). I think the waitlist envelopes are sent at the same time, but are not sent priority, so will take a bit longer. Good waitlisters will start getting offers by phone in the first week of June.

Nicole said that they usually have their class list by the end of July, at which point they send a letter to everyone who's left over - mainly bad wait list, I guess - saying that the class is full.

marty

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks for the confirmation martyb.

It kinda puts things in perspective...man...deferrals...I guess we can rest assured that deferrals are only granted in exceptional circumstances.

So, I guess the complete "by chance alone" figure is about 23%...although...somehow it doesn't seem like such a miniscule chance...especially when you factor in that some candidates will turn down offers from UofO to attend another program...then factor in a good interview...hmmm...

...I'm feeling somewhat better now. ;)

Peter

Guest carletongirl

Just wondering if when they send out the waitlist envelopes, do they tell you that you are number X on the waitlist? I mean, if you are number 20 on the waitlist vs. number 250, it makes a huge difference in how you go about planning for September.

Guest iamsmilingbear

Hey carletongirl :)

For sure there's such a big difference between number 20 and number 250!!! However, I don't think they will tell you your position on the waiting list. The only thing they will tell you is whether u are on the good waiting list (i.e. no extra line in the waitlist letter), or whether u are on the bad waiting list (with an extra line saying "your chances of getting in is low"). I think the admission office said that they won't reveal the exact position because they can't afford and they don't want people start calling in everyday to check.

Guest MayFlower1

Hey carletongirl,

Unfortunately, iamsmilingbear is correct...you don't get a rank. I believe the first 118 get the "u're in" letter...individuals lower than about 250 on the waitlist are given the "bad waitlist...you don't really have much chance" letter...the rest get the "good waitlist" one.

Peter

Guest iamsmilingbear

Hey all,

Does anyone know what are the chances like if you are on the good waiting list? Is it very likely that one will get off the waitling list? Is there anyone who actually got off from the bad waiting list? I'm puzzled because there will be 140+ people on the good waiting list while there are only 123 spots. The number of people on the good waiting list is even larger than the number of seats. That sounds like most people who got accepted right away decline the offer - this doesn't make a lot of sense to me if the chance of getting off the good wait list is high. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks!

Guest MayFlower1

iamsmilingbear,

It sounds like the info we received at last years information session still holds...Nicole Racine indicated that if you are in the top 200 of the overall list, you have a very good chance of getting an acceptance...if, on the other hand you are ranked below 200...well, you have very little chance. However, that being said, I heard that at least one person on the "bad waitlist" last year ended up getting an offer and subsequently accepting that offer.

I hope this helps. Perhaps some of the moderators could give their opinions on this one?

Peter

Hey all,

They won't tell you what # you are... too many people will be calling to find out how many spots they have moved and it would be mayhem at the admin office.

Guest novacanuck

Hey V,

I love the fact that you do this for us. Also, let me take this opportunity to thank you for your hospitality over the weekend. Needless to say I had a great experience there at ottawa and you and your NF roomie had a great deal to do with it. Thanks a bunch buddy!

:)

Next time I'll bring some Keith's :D

Ben

Archived