Premed 101 Forums

It has begun!

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

My wife brought in the mail this morning and...a big brown envelope was waiting for me from U of O...whoo hooo...an interview again this year! I'm on Friday, March 14 at 8:30am!

Can everyone post their interview dates and times here?

Good luck everyone!

Peter

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest UOMeds06

Congrats Peter!

I am in class right now...I received your phone call but couldn't take it. I figured you were calling me to let me know (which is why I came to the discussion board). Congrats again, I gotta get back to my lecture...Factors Affecting Stroke Volume!)

good luck all!

Congrats Peter,

Remember that Dr.Suess book "Oh the places you'll go"? The dreaded waiting place was where everyone was just waiting. And I seem to recall them waiting aroung for a Yes or a NO. And waiting around for the mail to come and the snow to snow... I'm not as poetic as he, but doesn't that sound like us?

I just submitted my 'graduate record' so I'll be here in the waiting place at least until the first week of March.

Good luck to you all.

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. "NO! That's not for you, somehow you'll escape all that waiting and staying. You'll find the bright places where boom bands are playing.....

Guest MayFlower1

mtws,

Congrats on the opportunity to wait... ;) Waiting, somehow, seems very different this year...having sat through the "dreaded" wait one year has brought about a new appreciation for it...to quote the same author, "I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank-you, thank-you, Sam I am."

Peter

Good luck...I'm hoping this year will be successful for you.

Guest UOMeds05

Congrats Peter and everyone on getting an invite. You are one step closer!! The 14th is on our March Break so most of us will miss you... Best of luck to you!

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks so much UOmeds05...I'm disappointed I won't get to see you on interview day...perhaps at another time. JW (in your class) has graciously offered to host some mock interviews to help me and a few others prepare...perhaps we will have an opportunity to meet then?

Peter

Guest Tanya24

Yeaaaaaahhhh!!!! Way to go Peter!!! I have no hair left waiting for my mail. Always takes a day longer to reach the great north, I suppose. Good luck on your interview!!

Guest northerngal

Congrats on your interview Peter. I like you also had an interview at Ottawa last year. I'm just wondering, are you from the Ottawa region? I read on this forum earlier that offers for interviews were sent out last friday. Just wondering if you're close to Ottawa, and if a letter might hopefully be gracing my mailbox in the next few days.

Hey MayFlower,

I was just wondering:

Do you think grad applicants are being notified of interviews first? (I seem to remember that you're a grad applicant...but I could be TOTALLY off!! :P )

Thanks!

Guest MayFlower1

northerngal, DHP62,

swimmer,

Congrats! Which day is your interview on?

northerngal,

Yes, I'm from the Ottawa area...be patient...you know how efficient Canada Post is! :rolleyes

DHP62,

while I do have an M.A. I didn't apply as a graduate student. My undergrad WGPA seems to be high enough (3.73) to get an interview in combination with my autobiographical sketch.

I believe mtws is a grad applicant...perhaps he can shed some more light on your question with respect to when you should hear about the grad program.

Peter

Guest redgirl29

Hey guys,

I posted this earlier in the interview invites thread, but to clarify:

I received my invite to send supplementary materials as a grad applicant last Friday. the letter states that those materials must be returned by Feb 28th and that letters for interview invites (of grad applicants) will be sent out the following week after reviewing those materials. So, for those of us in the grad pool, it looks like we have to wait a little longer :(

Peter, that's awesome that you got an interview! My GPA is very close to the 3.83 that they were looking for, but I still got put into the grad pool. I only took 4 classes in my final year of undergrad, so as it turns out, that takes me out of the regular undergrad running. Just means a little more waiting for some of us.

Congrats again on the interview and best of luck to you and everyone interviewing and still waiting!

red

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks Redgirl,

I'm so sorry you didn't get an interview invitation based on your undergrad performance...somehow that doesn't seem quite right. Anyway, it sounds like with the WGPA you have, and assuming the publications, etc., are up there you shouldn't have a problem. I would say based on the fact that they are asking you for supplementary material it is a good sign.

Best of luck.

Peter

Guest ekimike

Redgirl,

I am in the same boat as you. Last year I interviewed at Ottawa as an undergraduate based on my WGPA = 3.80. This year I didn't make the cut, and so, I have also been invited to send in supplementary materials. I have a lot of questions surrounding this process. I am curious to know whether or not all graduate students are grouped together or whether MSc and PhD students are assessed separately. I feel that I had a very productive MSc, with two first author publications in MCB and Oncogene in the past year and poster and oral presentations at international conferences. However, if I am to be compared against PhD applicants, then it seems likely that my research productivity will not be enough. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Good luck!

-ekimike

Guest redgirl29

Thanks for the encouragement you guys- the waiting is torture as you all know!

Ekimike, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one going through this grad process. I'm not sure how we are assessed in comparison to the other grad students, but I think I remember reading on another thread that the MSc and PhD applicants are pooled together because the number of PhD applicants is so small? I'm curious about the percentage of grad applicants granted admission (i.e. how many seats typically go to this grad pool). I'm sure it must change each year, but a ballpark number would be great- anyone have any idea? In any case, it sounds like your supplementary materials are very competitive (although i hate using that word on this board because everyone is so supportive), so you should be a shoe-in for an interview. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

thanks again!

red

Guest Tanya24

I just received the most beautiful brown envelope from Ottawa. Friday March 7 at 11:00 am. I can hardly believe it. My last name starts with C for anyone who is calculating potential dates based on the alphabetic system Ottawa uses. Thanx for all the support thus far, and I sincerely wish you good luck in the interview process. Take care, Tanya.

Guest amoeba joe

Congrats everyone!

I also just got my brown package this afternoon... my interview is at 9:15am on March 1st. I am a NS resident with last name initial "B". Does anyone know how many OOP interviews are being conducted?

Good luck and hope to meet some of you in March!

Guest tappety tap

Hey,

They sent out letters in alphabetical order?? Peter--is your last name near the beginning of the alphabet? If this is the case...I'm all the way at R....ahhh, I'm so impatient!!!!

Hey Tanya and Peter!!

Way to go! I just got my letter confirming an interview for the 20th of March. Wow, what a relief. I was right on the fence in terms of GPA cutoff, so to anyone worried that there GPA, while meeting the cutoff, will be too low, forget about it. Ottawa obviously takes your sketch into consideration. Good luck to everyone!

Steve

Archived