Premed 101 Forums

It has begun!

Guest MayFlower1

Guest stargirl

aww shucks y'all...thanks for them there words of kindness...

Peter - yes, I do live in Ottawa and I'd love to take you up on your mock interview offer...let the good times roll!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MayFlower,

Too true, too true...!

I meant worrying about the interview. But you are absolutely right...its far from over! Definitely can't get overconfident now. But at least its one less hoop to jump through...

congrats again!

DHP

Guest UOMeds05

Congrats everyone!!! Can't wait to see you all in Ottawa! Don't sweat it... you will see the interview is very relaxed... I know it is easy for me to say... but you will see for yourselves soon enough.

Good luck!!

Guest carletongirl

Hello all!

I've been quietly reading the postings for a few months now and I have to say that at first they really had me frightened about what was involved in this process of getting into medical school. However, I am now over the initial scare and very happy that I have found this forum. All of the questions that I had and ones that I haven't thought of were answered. I think we should all applaud the med school student moderators for their time in helping us through this process.

As for the good news: I received my interview date of March 20th.

Peter, just wondering if this mock interview you are talking about is for students who are in the ottawa area because you guys are planning to meet up at some point (face-to-face)?

Thanks everyone for all the support so far.

Guest Head Dawg

Congratulations to all who have gotten letters. Mine came today also. . .So happy to see the big brown envelope. Its my first interview ever, so Ottawa is my new fav school.

April 9th for me!

surname 'S'

See you there!!

Guest tappety tap

Head Dawg: I'm Apr 9 also...maybe i'll see you there? What time's your interview? Mine's at 10:15AM. This is my 1st med interview ever also, pretty exciting but scary at the same time! I know it's still early, but not quite sure how to prepare. Any insights??

Guest tappety tap

Thanks Mayflower! The best of luck to you too! I am in Montreal right now, but am from Ottawa originally...wondering if I could get in on mock interviews you guys seem to be involved with...can you give me more info? Thanks so much!

Melissa

Guest bad hombre

Hey guys,

wow, it's great to see so many people from this board getting interviews. I'm in Kingston and I'm still waiting for mine. I'm a little worried about not getting an interview since I don't significant employment or research experience. It's a long story. I hope they didn't send it to my home address (Peru) Anyways, good luck everyone, both with invites and with the interview!

Marty: I hear ya, waiting for that interview invite is a huge pain.

Peter: I think your posts are great, especially the ones regarding your experiences in the workforce and your wife's practice. I'll be rootin for ya come may :)

Hugo the Hombre

Hey all,

Has anybody from Toronto or suburban cities (like Mississauga) got interview invites from Ottawa yet?

cuz I am from mississauga and waiting......:rolleyes

Thanks

Krish

Hey Krish,

My mail goes to my home in the T-dot and I got my interview invite on Wednesday...

but hang in there...its definitely still not over!

Best of luck!

DHP

Guest Nightrider

I'm in the same boat as Krish

I thought I had pretty decent chances for an interview at Ottawa, but I am still waiting. Oh well, I'll cross my fingers and check the mail tomorrow. Congrats to everyone who's got an interview. Good luck guys!

Guest Head Dawg

Well, this is my first interview also. Not quite sure I'm the one to be giving insights. My time is 2:45. . . so we probably won't run into each other.

Best of luck. . .I'm interested in the package that we received with the interview notice. Thinking of taking one of those students up on their offer to give me a roof for the night.

Its a pretty long drive for me (5 hrs from K-W), so coming the day before sounds like a good idea.

Are you worried about conflicts with finals? I'm sure April 9th is going to be right in the middle of my exams. . .

Sigh. . what to do?

Guest Namgalsip

I'm also in the same boat. I thought I had pretty good chances for Ottawa. I'm well above the cut-off and I have lots of volunteer, research, etc. I'm in TO as well. No sign of a big brown envelope yet :| Maybe it's because I didn't fill up all 48 lines (but I really thought they'd take into consideration the time and duration I dedicated to each of my activities...?)

Oh well.

Congrats again to all that have heard from Ottawa. I wish you all the best in the interviews.

Hey all,

I called admissions today and they said that all intervites were sent off on Friday. If invites are not confirmed by 21st they will call.

This wait truly sucks!!!!

Hey guys,

Congrats on the interviews! I was interviewed at Ottawa last year (bad story) and re-applied this year. Problem is, I graduated and am now working in Toronto. Technically, I am no longer an Ottawa resident, even though I am only living here because my hubby is going to U of T. Any ideas on whether I should call/write to Admissions to clarify my situation?

Thanks.

BJ

Hi

Can anyone confirm for sure ALL ottawa interview invitations were sent out last Friday? I live in the city and haven't received anything a week later.

I'm a non-Ottawa resident with a GPA of 3.98 (MCAT 32/S). My autobiographic sketch is very strong.

I've gotten invites from Toronto and Queens so I assume I don't have any unexpected problems with my application like a bad reference letter.

But I can't figure out why I haven't heard from Ottawa yet! Can anyone explain this?

Thanks!

Henry.

Guest UOMeds05

Hey Artef/Henry,

I am not sure what to say about your app... It appears as though you are a strong applicant. It is possible that your invite is still in the mail. Although i do not have direct confirmation for you, I do believe that all the invites have been sent out (but don't quote me on it). Leters of regret should be out soon, if they have not already gone out... I guess until that arrives, there is still hope.

have you applied, or could your app be being considered as a grad student?

Sorry, i really am not much help here....

Guest UOMeds06

So it's been 2 days since I've checked this site and all of a sudden 71 posts in this thread! Wow, I feel like I've missed out!

Okay, so here's what I know from last years interviews. All interview invites go out priority mail (in the big brown envelope) on the same day. The rejections last year went out (I think on the same day) but they were sent regular mail (in regular envelopes). They arrived around a week later for most people within Ontario. I do know that at least one person within Ottawa go their invite upto a week later (dunno why).

If you're interviewing any time except the week of the 10th of March, they'll be plenty of med students to help you relax (we certainly appreciated when our seniors did that for us last year...was the reason why a few of my classmates chose Ottawa over the others). Even if you during our March break, I'm sure that tours will still be arranged. I may come in (on my holidays) on one of the days provided I'm in town.

For those of you out of town, I suggest that you consider staying with a billot (a list SHOULD have been enclosed in your invite documents). These people have gone through the UofO interview process and can probably share a lot of great info. You may have to consider sleeping in less than ideal (ideal being hotel room) conditions, so make your choice wisely.

Go on the net and look up interview questions and familiarize yourself with them. Some people like to wing interviews so their answers seems more genuine. That's fine too, but be realistic and confident in your capabilities should you decide to go that route. Regardless, there will be one of two questions that you were not expecting, so you won't be prepared for everything. That is also the goal to a lot of their questions. They generally know which ones you'll have prepared for.

There's much more to say, but I'm feeling pretty lazy right now so I'll leave it at this. Know yourself and get really good at proving yourself. What I mean is, go beyond telling them that you're a great leader or self motivated...you have to prove it to them in your own words.

UOMeds06

Remember: UofO has 2 WEEKS OF ORIENTATION so get your rest NOW! ;)

Archived