Premed 101 Forums

GPA cutoff

What if one of your prerequisites is in progress in your 4th year? If they don't look at 4th year marks does that become an issue? (full year course)
No. They don't care what your actual mark was in the pre-req. They only want to make sure you did it. So if you're accepted, it would likely be on the condition that you complete that pre-req.

Hey, anyone know if when they calculate your gpa for the last two years, do they take an average of your grades (i.e. out of 100) and then convert that to a score based on the OMSAS conversion chart (so anything between 80-84 would be a 3.7, according to scale 3 on that chart), or do they average the scores already converted to a 4 point scale for each course, as listed on your OMSAS application?

I'm wondering because when I take an average based on grades out of 100, that puts me in the 3.7 range (according to the OMSAS chart), but if I average the grades using the 4 point gpa they have assigned to each course, it's less than 3.7 meaning it's less than 80 according to the OMSAS scale, which isn't right.

I think part of my confusion also stems from the fact that the OMSAS scale puts 3.3 as 77-79, and 3.7 as 80-84...what happened to 3.4-3.6?

Anyone understand what I'm asking? haha Thanks in advance!

Hey' date=' anyone know if when they calculate your gpa for the last two years, do they take an average of your grades (i.e. out of 100) and then convert that to a score based on the OMSAS conversion chart (so anything between 80-84 would be a 3.7, according to scale 3 on that chart), or do they average the scores already converted to a 4 point scale for each course, as listed on your OMSAS application?

I'm wondering because when I take an average based on grades out of 100, that puts me in the 3.7 range (according to the OMSAS chart), but if I average the grades using the 4 point gpa they have assigned to each course, it's less than 3.7 meaning it's less than 80 according to the OMSAS scale, which isn't right.

I think part of my confusion also stems from the fact that the OMSAS scale puts 3.3 as 77-79, and 3.7 as 80-84...what happened to 3.4-3.6?

Anyone understand what I'm asking? haha Thanks in advance![/quote']

when they are averaging your gpa out of 4 at queens they take each course grade and convert it to the 4.0 scale. They then average all your newly converted course gpas for the year to come up with a gpa for your school year. Then do that for how many years you have been in school to get your cgpa. best of luck

Hey' date=' anyone know if when they calculate your gpa for the last two years, do they take an average of your grades (i.e. out of 100) and then convert that to a score based on the OMSAS conversion chart (so anything between 80-84 would be a 3.7, according to scale 3 on that chart), or do they average the scores already converted to a 4 point scale for each course, as listed on your OMSAS application?

Anyone understand what I'm asking? haha Thanks in advance![/quote']

Convert each grade you have on the OMSAS chart and average those. And yes, it's very possible to have an 80+ average but less than 3.7 GPA. The GPA system rewards consistency in your grades. In other words, it's better to have 3 final grades that are 85, instead of having a 75, 85 and 95.

when they are averaging your gpa out of 4 at queens they take each course grade and convert it to the 4.0 scale. They then average all your newly converted course gpas for the year to come up with a gpa for your school year. Then do that for how many years you have been in school to get your cgpa. best of luck

I see, thanks for the info!

yes they do use summer courses in the calculation if its all four years.

"The GPA requirement is based on the cumulative converted grade point average (see the OMSAS Conversion Scale) of all years of undergraduate study, including summer and supplemental courses."

not sure if this would hold true for the two year calculation if you took summer courses in between 3rd and 4th year

No.

It is LAST 2 full-time yrs.

A full-time year, according to Queen's at this time, is 3 full-yr or 6 half-yr courses, taken between Sept- April.

yes they do use summer courses in the calculation if its all four years.

"The GPA requirement is based on the cumulative converted grade point average (see the OMSAS Conversion Scale) of all years of undergraduate study, including summer and supplemental courses."

not sure if this would hold true for the two year calculation if you took summer courses in between 3rd and 4th year

Originally Posted by kylamonkey View Post

No.

It is LAST 2 full-time yrs.

A full-time year, according to Queen's at this time, is 3 full-yr or 6 half-yr courses, taken between Sept- April.

The last 2 full-time years do not use summer courses.

Here is my own example:

I started chem through correspondence in August 2010, with an end date Feb 2011. I have been working on it for most of the school year, obviously.

Sept-Jan, I took 3 courses at UVic, and another online through UBC.

This term, Jan-April, I am in 3 courses at UVic.

They are going to count:

-the 3 courses from fall at UVic

-the UBC fall term online course

-the 3 courses from spring UVic

They will not count the chem course because it falls outside the Sept-April range. I confirmed this with the office by phoning them.

The cumulative GPA, however, looks at ALL courses, including summer. But the 2-yr GPA does not.

Hope this helps anyone!

Archived