Premed 101 Forums

GPA cutoff

Hey guys, I know this may have been asked before, but I just want to make sure of something regarding Queen's cutoffs and cutoffs in general. Should I meet the cutoffs for the GPA and the MCATs, do they still factor into the decision or is it simply once you've met that minimal mark, thats it, GPA and MCAT is not a factor anymore and now we're basing the final decision on your admittance based on the interview, references, ABS, etc.

• 1 month later...
Just had a question regarding, how does queens calculate your gpa, do they look at you all 4 years, or do they look at the best 2 years? how does it all work?

Thanks for ur time.

They look at either 4 years or 2 years --> Depending on what makes you more competitive. But the 4 year cutoff is naturally lower than the 2 year cutoff.

So when you say they look at your last 2 years, does that mean they look at the last 20 courses you took? For example, if you only took 4 classes a semester for 2 years would they go back another year and include classes?

Also, someone mentioned that there is a different acceptance criteria for student's with a Master's Degree.. does anyone have any specific information regarding this?

Plastic

• 2 weeks later...
So when you say they look at your last 2 years, does that mean they look at the last 20 courses you took? For example, if you only took 4 classes a semester for 2 years would they go back another year and include classes?

Also, someone mentioned that there is a different acceptance criteria for student's with a Master's Degree.. does anyone have any specific information regarding this?

Plastic

For queens a year only needs 60% of a full courseload. So as long as you have 3 per semester, you're solid, still two years.

I believe grad students get a lower GPA requirement, but have to maintain the MCAT.

• 1 month later...

here is the offical speak on that:

"In order to qualify for entry into the School of Medicine, candidates are required to have a minimum of 30 course credits as described below. This is equivalent to 15 full undergraduate credits or 3 years of full time study at Queen's University. This requirement must be fulfilled by the June 30 prior to possible entry into the program."

Hello, sorry if this seems a little out of place but I didn't want to make a new thread for something that was mildly relevant (I'm a second year student from Vancouver, that's all).

If you make both the GPA and MCAT cutoff are you automatically invited for an interview? Then from there you are judged solely on life experiences, EC's etc. through interviews? Thank you.

Hello, sorry if this seems a little out of place but I didn't want to make a new thread for something that was mildly relevant (I'm a second year student from Vancouver, that's all).

If you make both the GPA and MCAT cutoff are you automatically invited for an interview? Then from there you are judged solely on life experiences, EC's etc. through interviews? Thank you.

It has been this way historically yes. However, there is talk of Queens evaluating the sketch (your ECs) pre-interview as well. Probably will not happen this year but it may be the case for Queens starting next cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived