Premed 101 Forums

Hotels/Motels

Guest JS28

Hi there,

Do you know of any motels/hotels that are really close to the campus? I'm trying to find something that's reasonably priced and close to the university.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

JS28

Guest UOMeds05

Hey there,

The only one that i can think of that is relatively close to the Med School Campus (Roger Guindon) is the Chimo Hotel. I think that it is a nice hotel, but have never been. It is just off St. Laurent Blvd and would be about a 5-7min car ride from the campus. The website is chimo hotel.

If you want to stay downtown, close to main campus and take the free shuttle to the med school (on weekdays) there are a number to choose from: Quality Inn, Courtyard Marriott, The Westin, Les Suites.... all walking distance to Main Campus.

Guest MayFlower1

JS28,

In an earlier post (which for the life of me...I can't find) I also recommended the Chimo hotel as being the closest one to the medical school. Apparently, if you say you are a student coming in for an interview (i.e., call in advance) they will be able to give you a rate of just under 100 bucks for a night.

Another poster indicated that the medical school is also renting out rooms in residence on a nightly basis...but I don't know much about this or if rooms are still available...you might consider calling the school on this one.

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

No problem JS28...good luck on your interview...when is it again? Mine is this friday at 8:30am |I (sleepy)

If you weren't planning on it...I would definitely get to the atrium well in advance of your interview (at least an hour or two). You will find lots of candidates, med students and residents milling about...it's great to talk with others prior to the interview. Also, the info session is great...it's run by admissions and a couple of current med students...lots of great information. If you haven't seen the medical school or the hospital the tours are good as well.

Good luck on your interview!

Peter

Guest UOMeds05

Unfortunately for anyone interviewing this week, things are going to look pretty desolate as both the first and second year class are on March Break right now. There aren't too many people around. The first years come back next week and us second year get another week off!!:P

Guest UOMeds05

I am presenting again this year, but i too will be away on Friday... probably better for you anyway. It will give you the perspective of another student.

Best of luck on friday!

Hi Peter,

Oh...I didn't know about the atrium. (by the way, why are there residents there? what's the atrium?) :)

I'm sure you'll do great on Friday!! :) (<--I'm trying to get a smiley with more action here...gotta figure out how those other emoticons work.)

let me give it a try...

www.ezboard.com/intl/aeng...s/wink.gif

Hey, i didn't know med students got march breaks! sounds great.

JS28

Guest MayFlower1

UOMeds05,

Have a great break (assuming that's why you're going to be away). Thanks also for the wishes...I hope I have the right perspective this year and can clearly communicate it to my interviewers!

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

JS28,

The atrium is where candidates gather prior to their interviews. The adcoms have tables set up...refreshments...etc. When you arrive to the medical school...go to the atrium...it won't be hard to find. The admissions group will be there and will check you in...you have to show ID of some sort...they will let you know who your interviewers are (at least they told me last year). At this point you wait until your name is called. There are other candidates waiting as well...this is a great chance to get to know some of your potential classmates and also to see the amazing range of talent (yikes) that get interviews!

Why are the residents, medical students, etc. there? Primarily to show support for the candidates. They are also likely there to study as well...those in clerkship or residency may also be on call in the hospital, etc. The medical students also participate in the info session, they run tours of the medical school and hospital, and also, some of them are part of the interviewing process (although I don't think those interviewing typically hang out in the atrium...I think they're busy interviewing...but I could be wrong.)

Anyway, it's a fun time. You should plan to be there early (or stay later if you have an early interview like I do) to catch the info session, tour and to chat with other candidates, students, residents, etc.

Good luck with your interview.

Peter

Guest UOMeds05

Thanks Peter,

March break is great. It comes at a perfect time of year too, because it follows some pretty intense blocks in both first and second year.

The second year class gets 2 weeks because one of those weeks (well min 3 days) is to be spent doing an elective of your choice. I am going back to my hometown next week to complete my elective.

Archived