Premed 101 Forums

you can be anglo and apply as franco (fre wgpa cutoffs 2003)

Guest camillefr

Guest camillefr

you can be anglophone and can apply as francophone, but you must adopt french as your first language since french is not your mother tongue. also you will need at least high school level french. alot have. make sure to put french as your mother tongue on the application.

French wgpa cutoffs 2003

------------------------------------------------------------

Franco-ontario applicants-3.2

Aylmer, Hull, Gatineau, Outaouais (Québec) -3.6

Rest of Québec-3.87

*Non-government seats (programme national)

ie. francophone outside Ontario & Québec- ? have separate application

Good luck!

Guest Shahenshah

yes..I agree with the above post..that is a VERY dangerous thing to pull..I have heard of horror stories of people who have done that and have got nailed badly in the interview..when they ask you to complete the rest of the interview in french and you can't hold a decent articulate coversation in french, you can really kiss your prospects of getting in good bye..believe me people, it ain't worth the risk or embarassment

Guest camillefr

Yes, it is TOTALLY true your french must be proficient enough to carry out an interview TOTALLY in French-relax guys hehehe.

According to 13 of my anglo friends/acquaintances ACCEPTED into the french program in different years, their french immersion program in Ontario was sufficient. They said most interviewers understand and appreciate it!

(Listen they told me that you can even attend the english lectures, labs, do your exams in english and your clinical years if you want, but the pbls and psd are TOTALLY in french.)

So I strongly encourage ONLY the anglos who SINCERELY want to study medicine in French to apply with me!

But I strongly DISCOURAGE the anglos in ONTARIO who are just using the FRANCO-ONTARIO GPA of 3.2 to get in!!!

Take care!

Cheers from OTTAWA (biochem guy)!

Guest UOMeds06

N.B.

ALL the franco's in my class are VERY proficient in French. And, yes, although you may technically sit in on the English classes, keep in mind that there are only about 100 seats in our regular class room and there are 95 anglo students there. Whenever the French students do sit in on our classes, most of them end up standing at the back or sitting on the floor. The only times they ever come to our class is if they don't like a particular lecturer. I would not recommend applying in French if you only have EXTENDED French from Ontario (French emersion is a different story...I can think of at least one student who did all her high schooling in French and is studying the French program....In the 2nd year class, there is an anglo student who did all of his undergrad in French and he's doing fine too).

I consider myself quite bilingual, I even studied at a university in Quebec for a while...but seeing as how the medical terms and the general understanding in English is hard enough, I know that I wouldn't be able to handle the French class. We have a few French students (who are now Canadian but are French from France) and even THEY have difficulty understanding some of the hard core franco-ontarien's and the Quebequois lecturers....they talk very fast with strong accents!

Best of luck, hopefullly we'll see you all in March and April! I'll be showing some of you around...and maybe I'll be billeting one or two of you! ;)

UOMeds06

Guest camillefr

k but anglos in Ontario can enter french program (admissions said) and they have providing they sincerely adopt the french language. i know 13 successful anglo-ontario applicants in french stream! I see them around campus. To me, their french is satisfactory. If anyone does not believe me, visit ottawa u and see for urself!

cheers!

from ottawa biochem honours guy

I agree with previous moderators. But I was told the same thing as you Camillefr. they told me that if I wished to apply in French I had to show that although I was not a francophone I had chosen to live my life in French (which was obviously not me so applied only in English).

French immersion may be sufficient provided that you have been USING your French since the end of high school...I know of one anglo applicant to the French program last year that did ALL of her high school in French (francophone school) and worked in France for a summer....She didn't get in and is convinced that it was due her language skills in the interview...she hadn't been speaking French recently and even though she understood perfectly, she felt that her responses should have been faster and smoother and that this was picked up by the interviewers. The francophone program is a possible route in but you better have really good language skills and be prepared to make a commitment to studying medicine in French...

Guest camillefr

Thanks moderators!

We finally agree!

ANGLO-ONTARIO applicant who took french in high school can apply as a franco-ontario applicant (wgpa 3.2 cutoff) so long they can do the interview, problem-based learning and physician development skills TOTALLY in french but most importantly ADOPT the language sincerely!

exams (the bottom line) you can always do in english. it would be a violation of school policy otherwise. it is THE bilingual institution in CANADA. also all lectures, labs, ... I was told are on the web (french and english). so if there is no place in english, who cares! if you really having problems in french, you can do 3rd and 4th year in english.

The rest is a judgement call! Do you feel comfortable enough?

I do! I am applying! And I really want to study in french!

I hope I brought a smile to many frustrated and disappointed anglo-ontario applicants! So now perfect your french guys!!!

And keep smiling! You will get accepted!

CHEERS ANGLO-ONTARIO!

OTTAWA BIOCHEM (honours program)

SOURCES:

-13 anglo-ontario applicants in different years (meds04, 05 and 06)

-Admissions office

-OMSAS application

-4 french lecturers (one is my supervisor)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, please understand that French (from France) and Canadien-Francais have VERY different accents. So to say that even the French can't understand the lecturers is irrelevant. I think the point here is that it's a good idea to understand French-CANADIAN well if you want to go the francophone route.

Guest camillefr

Thanks sil!

And a big thank you to all 13 anglo-ontario medical students in the french program and to the 4 french docs at Ottawa U for their help and guidance!

They were right!!!

Ottawa U considered me under the french applicant category of Franco-Ontario (wgpa 3.2)!

Cheers Anglo-Ontario and rest of Canada!

Ottawa guy soon Bilingual Ottawa Doc!

Guest UOMeds06

Congrats WTBMED and CAMILLEFR and all the others.

Seems like you summed it up pretty good. From the sounds of it, your French will be sufficient and you shouldn't have any problems. My last mesage was directed more at people who were sort of on the fence. If you're not really sure about your French then I'd reconsider applying in the Anglo stream.

On a separate note, if you are French from France, don't be discouraged and by all means apply in the French stream. The accents may be different but the language is (more or less) still the same! Your interviewers, I'm sure, would make an attempt to speak a little more clearly if they knew it was hindering your comprehension.

to those apply in the Anglo stream and have indicated that you were bilingual. Be prepared to answer a question or two in French, nothing major but enough to prove that you can express yourself. I had heard bad stories, and even though I am bilingual (according the the Gov't of Canada and my franco buddies and completed French courses in University) I didn't check that box off. It didn't end up mattering that I hadn't.

I'm excited for everyone with interviews...I hope to see you on your interview date!

UOMeds06

Guest camillefr

on monday, i will go to the office and get all the remaining info about the french program for you guys now that i SUCCESSFULLY got the french interview. Lots more digging left!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest camillefr

this is for tal. you can see the preference for franco-ontario and canadian francos (non quebec).

French wgpa cutoffs 2003

Franco-ontario applicants-3.2

Programme national-3.4

Aylmer, Hull, Gatineau, Outaouais (Québec) -3.6

Québec-3.87

80-100 interview candidates in 2003 for 40 spots (30 normal, 10 programme national)

Archived