Premed 101 Forums

Looking for place to stay in Ottawa

Guest strider2004

Guest strider2004

Hi everybody,

I'll be doing a clerkship elective in Ottawa from March 24 to April 18th. I don't have a place to stay and was wondering if anyone here knew who I could contact. Thanks a bunch!

Alex

Guest Laurent27

You should contact the elective coordinator at 562-5800 ext: 8131. They have a list of people who arew illing to offer a room for an elective.

Laurent

Guest MayFlower1

DHP62,

I don't believe there are any hotels near the medical school...I may be wrong...but I don't think so. The medical school is right in the middle of a residential area. A 20 dollar cab ride will get you to several decent hotels. There, of course, is also the option of billeting...

I'll do a quick search on the net and see if I can find a hotel near the school. I'll post back in a few minutes.

Peter

EDIT: I checked out the hotels in the area...the closest one to the medical school is about 5 or 6 minutes away. The details of the hotel are as follows:

Chimo Hotel

1199 Joseph Cyr Street

Ottawa, Ontario

Toll-free reservation number: 1-800-387-9779

The cost of the cheapest room for a night is between 110 and 120 dollars depending on room availability and the exact night you're staying. Tell them you are a student when you reserve.

Cheers,

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Tanya24,

I was told that there isn't a specific student discount, however, if they have lots of rooms available on the dates you'll be staying there they will give you a better price. I would definitely mention you are a "poor student" in for an interview with the medical school. They said you shold be able to get a room for $110.

Peter

Guest UOMeds05

if you are not interested in billeting, you may also want to check the ottawa u. website http://www.uottawa.ca under the residences... in the new residence, the 20th floor was used as a hotel last year (i think this year too). I think it was about $80... it is convenient because than you can catch the free shuttle over to the faculty (Roger Guindon).

Guest carletongirl

Hi guys,

If you are looking for a cheap place to stay in Ottawa as a student, there is the International Youth Hostel on Nicholas Street. It is downtown (next to the Rideau Centre and right by the Byward Market). I'm pretty sure it is cheap (like maybe $20 per night). You can catch many buses from there to take you to the hospital (where the med school is), or you can taxi it. My only warning about the hostel is that it used to be the old Ottawa Jail. Make sure you ask for a room rather than a cell because the rooms are a lot more spacy and nicer to sleep in.

And of course you can take the billeting option and room with a med school student.

Good luck!

carletongirl

Guest carletongirl

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the youth hostel is walking distance from U of O downtown campus, so you could always take the free shuttle from there to the hospital.

Guest UOMeds06

If you don't wanna do the billeting thing then you might now wanna do the hostel thing. If you go with a hotel, try to stay at one near the downtown campus (ie. Ramada, Les Suites, Quality) and then walk to the main campus and take a shuttle.

Your best option: Billet....meet some of our class....we don't bite! Well, Sil bit someone ONCE but she doesn't have any teeth anyway! it was more like a gumming! ;)

UOMeds06

Hey UOmeds06:

Have you seen the sign on the same level as the library (our library), the sign says hotel, I was wondering if that was actually a hotel. It is at the health science faculty where the interviews will be conducted. I will try to see what it is on Monday, perhaps it could be another option.

BTW: You are getting a big gumming on Monday :b

Guest kellyl20

Start by asking what special rates hotels have for which special groups. See you if you can make yourself fit in any of their special categories for the special rates. This works.:D

Guest UOMeds06

Hahaha,

Sil, I didn't notice...it's amazing all the info that I don't notice on these boards. We have a library? Didn't notice that either! (jk :rollin ) I know that the top floor of New Res is considered a hotel...the hotel at our campus might be the "Rotel." The motel that is affiliated with the Rotary club. It's beside the Ronald McDonald house in front of CHEO. Aside from that, I'm unfamiliar with anything else on our campus unless they're putting one in, in one of the new buildings.

I have a cardio question for you: Tamponade: is that like lemonade but with....oh wait never mind. I remember! haha

UOMeds06

BTW I still don't know who UOMeds05 is

Archived