Premed 101 Forums

Yet Another "Chances" Question

Hey everyone

I guess everyone is somewhat used to people posting their stats and asking about how good they are, etc. But yeah...unfortunately I really need opinions.

I'm a Canadian undergraduate, looking to apply to Ontario schools primarily (due to my degree I couldn't get the required biochem credit for UBC, although admittedly I haven't done much research on the schools). I missed this cycle's applications because I thought my MCAT was going to be crap (just received the score a few days ago), but yeah...here's what I got:

cGPA: 3.995 (I'm currently in third year, 4.0 for first year, 3.99 for second year).

MCAT: PS:12 , VR: 9, BS: 12, WS: S

Research: NSERC USRA during the summer, currently working on an abstract for a conference, I should have a paper out by the next cycle.

Extracurriculars: one year and ongoing volunteering at senior's home, president of a school club, exec for an athletic club last year, played kendo. Plus a bunch of other crap.

I've been told that what I have are competitive, but that 9 in verbal is really bugging me (granted I expected much worse). Any thoughts? I have no problem with doing a MSc before applying either, seeing as I don't mind research so much.

I also have no geographical advantages.

Thanks for the advice!

For the Ontario Schools:

NOSM - ZERO chance (in 3rd yr)

Queen's - essentially near Zero chance (rare yr has been 9)

UWO - ZERO chance (in 3rd yr)

Toronto - good chance for interview - but in 3rd yr and research not that mature yet and ECs average to weak

Ottawa - excellent chance for interview

McMaster - very low chance, but not zero...

My guess- 1-2 interviews in Ontario - with maybe 30-40% chance of getting in somewhere. Good luck

For the Ontario Schools:

NOSM - ZERO chance (in 3rd yr)

Queen's - essentially near Zero chance (rare yr has been 9)

UWO - ZERO chance (in 3rd yr)

Toronto - good chance for interview - but in 3rd yr and research not that mature yet and ECs average to weak

Ottawa - excellent chance for interview

McMaster - very low chance, but not zero...

My guess- 1-2 interviews in Ontario - with maybe 30-40% chance of getting in somewhere. Good luck

Agree with most but why is his Ottawa chance higher than Toronto's? Ottawa puts more emphasis on the EC and his high GPA won't give him an advantage there compared to Toronto.

OP: re-write your MCAT to aim for a 10 or 11 in verbal and you should have a SOLID shot next year if anything.

OP: re-write your MCAT to aim for a 10 or 11 in verbal and you should have a SOLID shot next year if anything.

...I really want to avoid going through all that studying again if I could help it. I was scoring an average of 8-9 on the practice tests.

I didn't know my chances were so bad overall. Bleh

I think his chance at Ottawa is a bit better because the mark cutoff is automatically met -and there is no essay component. The ottawa mark cut-off is in fact higher than the GPA of what many UofT interviewers may have - so some amazing students to be interviewed at Toronto are automatically removed from consideration at Ottawa. Meaning OP has a leg up against many people already for Ottawa.

Grad students and 4th yr students often have more compelling stories that can be presented in the essay that UofT admissions requires. Ottawa used to grant allmost all people meeting it's cutoffs an interview - it does not anymore BUT most people that meet the cuts still seem to get interviews. That is not true at Toronto - where tons of applicants end up having great wGPAs, and where the global application is more important. With nearly 35% of the class also devoted to grad students - I think his odds at Ottawa are better.

But I'm just one opinion.

And yeah...if it wasn't for that crappy verbal - he'd have a pretty good chance in Ontario. He still has a shot though.

Archived