Premed 101 Forums

Sleep Hours

Wow, interesting thread. It seems like all the med students used to sleep on average only 4-6 hours per 24hrs in undergrad. I find this hard to believe. I thought med students would've been masters of time management.

Dr. Strangelove got 7 hours though, which is perfect, so not all medstudents were like that.

I wanna hear more numbers from med students.

Put your own health first even if it means going to a Caribbean medical school instead of a Canadian one. How can we tell our patients to put their health first if we don't.

If that were true, we'd have a bunch of hippy idiots as doctors in Canada. Some of the best doctors (i.e. the ones who will save your life) are the ones who harm themselves the most (either physically through lack of self-care or indirectly through demolished relationships and family life).

Obviously I'm not saying this is a good thing, but just to be clear - being a wicked doctor has nothing to do with how well you take care of yourself. In fact, if anything, taking poorer care of yourself might actually make you a better doctor.

If that were true, we'd have a bunch of hippy idiots as doctors in Canada. Some of the best doctors (i.e. the ones who will save your life) are the ones who harm themselves the most (either physically through lack of self-care or indirectly through demolished relationships and family life).

Obviously I'm not saying this is a good thing, but just to be clear - being a wicked doctor has nothing to do with how well you take care of yourself. In fact, if anything, taking poorer care of yourself might actually make you a better doctor.

Could not agree more. It's counterintuitive to the way we are raised, but I feel it is completely true.

I've always been a good sleeper myself. I probably average 8 hours a night overall (prob 6-7 on weekdays, and 9-10 on weekends).

That said, I'd consider myself an impeccable time manager, and also one who doesn't operate well without sleep.

How the hell can you manage time that well?

P.S. The quote in your signature is so awesome, I came across it a few years ago, it made me think for a while.

Could not agree more. It's counterintuitive to the way we are raised, but I feel it is completely true.

sfinch, how much did you sleep during undergrad?

I'm with itimebomb2.

I sleep 7-8 hrs / night (both weeknight and weekend)

My time management is incredibly terrible, but I find I just don't function well without at least that much sleep. I just work everything around that.

I also needed that much sleep in undergrad as well. I've also never pulled an all-nighter.

I don't buy it.

During undergrad, I slept 8-10 hours per night. Maybe less on weekends if I was going out a lot. During preclerkship, I slept 7-8 hours consistently. Even during clerkship, I've been sleeping 7-8 hours except when I'm on-call. Even during my brutal general surgery rotation when I had hours like 5:30am to 6pm. I slept at 8:00 every night and woke up at 4:30 to get ready and to read some notes before work. I had no life for a few weeks, but you do what you have to do. Plus, you're way more efficient when you're not sleep deprived. No matter what people tell you, you have time to sleep, eat, and pee. You just have to make it a priority.

This is so odd! I'm in 4th year undergrad and I have always gotten 8-10 (more on weekends) hours of sleep every night. I go to bed around 2-3 am and wake up at noonish for class.

When I have 10 am classes (once a week) I go to bed at the same time and just get around 6 hours. Same if I have a test the next day - I'll stay up late or wake up early to study, with 5-6ish hours of sleep.

Basically, I get tons of sleep with a few nights of exhaustion (never more than one in a row!) before a test/early class. I had no idea that people actually lived with 4-5 hours every night. How awful!

The older I get the more I've realized that I absolutely need a good night's sleep. In my first undergrad I was averaging about 4-5 hrs/night with some naps during the day. Now, in my second undergrad, I need at least 8hrs of sleep a night. If I have exams or papers due the next day, I'll get 6-7hrs.

I've just become better at managing my time. I'm far busier now going to school full-time & working almost full-time, but I just find ways to get my Sleep is too beautiful & precious to give up.

I have serious troubles with sleeping for whatever reason. I usually can't fall asleep until 2 or 3am, then up at 7:30am for school. Then tired all day struggling to stay awake, and tired until about the early evening when I suddenly wake up. I never nap either, so I don't know why this happens. My circadian rhythm is really screwed up.

I have serious troubles with sleeping for whatever reason. I usually can't fall asleep until 2 or 3am, then up at 7:30am for school. Then tired all day struggling to stay awake, and tired until about the early evening when I suddenly wake up. I never nap either, so I don't know why this happens. My circadian rhythm is really screwed up.

I know how you feel; I'm the same way. So much lost time just trying to get to sleep...

If you ever find a solution to your problem, let me know, and vice versa.

Well thanks a lot guys. It's been almost a month since I posted this question and I've taken a lot people's advice so far and tested it too.

I realized that when I slept for exactly 7 hours and worked out for about an hour early in the morning, I barely got tired during the day and would start to loose gas around 10-11pm at night.

On the other hand, if I averaged about 5-6 hours of sleep for about 2-3 days straight, without any workouts in the morning, my tank would wear out by the time it's 2-3pm in the afternoon and I would daze off in lectures. Since I don't drink coffee it's obviously very tough.

Well truth be told I finally realized that it's not only sleep but procrastination as well that's been causing my issues. A lot of distractions like the internet, television, family events etc....even my mom bothers me a lot sometimes telling me to take her shopping and various places........and then I barely get time for my own work. So normally ended up with sleep deprivation throughout the month. Anyways, I've learned to say 'NO' (which was quite difficult for my mom lol) and made work my 1st priority so that I wouldn't have to risk my well-being. This obviously does not mean I shouldn't take her (you guys have no idea how many times in a week she asks me) but I won't stop. Thanks a lot for your time under grads, med students and residents =)[/b]

Archived