Premed 101 Forums

Wondering What to Do

So my situation is a little odd on a lot of levels.

I'm 30, and just now getting a Bachelors of Fine Arts. I have spent the last 11 years dropping in and out of various schools, and have an awful GPA to prove it. I think that by graduation it will be around a 3.2. The last 2 years will probably end up being about a 3.8 if I'm adding it up correctly.

Somewhere along the way I decided that what I really wanted to do is Medicine, and have spent the past 5 years working as an EMT here in the US. I've decided that I want to do more, and med-school is for me. Of course that's where it gets complicated.

My wonderful husband has now decided to change careers from firefighter to lawyer and is now applying to canadian law schools. It looks like there is about a 65% chance we will be packing up and moving there by next fall.

I don't actually have any pre-reqs for med school at this point, so I will be starting from scratch. I feel I need to start looking at programs to start in the Fall of 2012, or possibly earlier.

I'm not entirely sure where we will end up. Wonderful Husband (WH) is applying in pretty much every province.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what programs have strong pre-med programs, what second degrees to complete, acceptability of online schools etc?

Thanks for your input, I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into. :confused:

So my situation is a little odd on a lot of levels.

I'm 30, and just now getting a Bachelors of Fine Arts. I have spent the last 11 years dropping in and out of various schools, and have an awful GPA to prove it. I think that by graduation it will be around a 3.2. The last 2 years will probably end up being about a 3.8 if I'm adding it up correctly.

Somewhere along the way I decided that what I really wanted to do is Medicine, and have spent the past 5 years working as an EMT here in the US. I've decided that I want to do more, and med-school is for me. Of course that's where it gets complicated.

My wonderful husband has now decided to change careers from firefighter to lawyer and is now applying to canadian law schools. It looks like there is about a 65% chance we will be packing up and moving there by next fall.

I don't actually have any pre-reqs for med school at this point, so I will be starting from scratch. I feel I need to start looking at programs to start in the Fall of 2012, or possibly earlier.

I'm not entirely sure where we will end up. Wonderful Husband (WH) is applying in pretty much every province.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what programs have strong pre-med programs, what second degrees to complete, acceptability of online schools etc?

Thanks for your input, I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into. :confused:

Hi there! Which part of the country are you current located/moving to?

Can you confirm your last two years GPA for sure (ideally down to the 2nd decimal place) - and were they full time (5.0 credits per year)? We should probably start by seeing what you already have as that is a good place to start from - you may have to do less work than you think.

What ^ said

There isn't really a "pre-med" program in Canada as they have in the states, with the exception of quebec but that's a different story. Med schools don't discriminate against what program you get your degree in, so long as you have the pre-requisite courses.

Pick something you'll enjoy learning for the next however many years, and also one in which you're fairly certain you can do well in.

Is your WH Canadian, as there are financial advanatages if you are a Permanent Resident of Canada when you aply/enter into med school in Canada. Not all med schools take international students and the tuition could be well over $100,000/year whereas as Canadian it is subsidized and very affordable. Also, as a Canadian, you can secure a LOC of $200,000 w/o a co-signer, whereas as a foreginer, I doubt that you would get anything even with a cosigner.

You have to check each med school to determine what prerequisites if any are required, e.g., statistics, chem courses, a humanities course, etc. And most require MCAT, another hurdle to overcome. And if you are a permanent resident, certain provinces give an advantage to being an IP (In Proince resident), e.g., an IP in Quebec has a significant advanatage applyin to McGill med school compared to an out of province (OOP) resident. BTW, McGill does not require MCAT for "Canadian applicants", it does for foreigners. For U/Ottawa. there is ana dvanatge, lower GPA, for those living in Ottawa arrea.

Ther devil is always in the details.

Okay, first off, this isn't really a reply but more of an addition.

Here I am, I have just posted a long message in a different thread, only to find my questions summarized here by randomamerica.

I am in the same boat like randomamerica, only that I am a little older (33), and I moved in from europe, and have a v. low gpa for my undergrad from europe (about 2.4). Hence, I am looking forward to your help/information/suggestions regarding premed programs, accptability of online programs etc.

As I said, I just moved two months ago to Canada. I am a permanent resident and I am fine with settling in Quebec or ottawa or wherever I know will take me a little closer to my dream too. So I really would just appreciate any information on where best to start my lauch at this great journey.

I would greatly appreciate your responses.

Personally, I was thinking of a second degree in Nursing, since I understand that basically any degree is acceptable for entry into medschool.

Thanks and have a great day.

Thanks for all of the info-

@rmorelan I'm not entirely sure how credits transfer between US and Canadian systems. Here 1 class = 3 credits so for the last few years I have been taking 3 classes/ semester with a gpa of 3.86.

We'll end up in Nova Scotia, Ontario, Alberta, or BC. Still waiting to hear from LS - will be for a few months. That will of course narrow down a lot of things.

My WH is not actually canadian, but 3/4 of his grandparents were, as his mom if she every bothers to fill out the paperwork. Ideally I wouldn't start medical school until after getting permanent residence. I know that can be a long process, but I have all of my WH's law school to get it together. Until then I plan on working in EMS.

Thanks for the help :)

Archived