Premed 101 Forums

Interventional Neuroradiology: best route to take?

I've been reading up on some interventional neuroradiology programs. The general consensus I'm getting is that you can get to this stage either from a residency in:

a.) neurosurgery

b.) radiology

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on pros and cons to either of these paths to get to the interventional neuroradiology level. There are obvious differences between a residency in neurosx and radiology. I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

There are definitely neurologists in the field. I have met at least 2, one working in the states, and the other looking for a job in Canada.

The bottom line is, what do you want to be doing when you're not coiling aneurysms or retrieving clots?

if the answer is spine surgery/cancer resection - go NSx

if read films - rads

if see stroke patients - neuro

There are definitely neurologists in the field. I have met at least 2, one working in the states, and the other looking for a job in Canada.

The bottom line is, what do you want to be doing when you're not coiling aneurysms or retrieving clots?

if read films - rads

Yes definitely in the US neurologists have already "broken in". I think there are even neurology run programs in the US. Harder path in Canada currently. But I think if the OP likes neuro, it could be an interesting path because you could balance your chronic clinic type problems with a hands-on procedure that has an immediate outcome.

But above is a good point - what is it that interests you aside from the coiling.

if read films - rads

Yes definitely in the US neurologists have already "broken in". I think there are even neurology run programs in the US. Harder path in Canada currently. But I think if the OP likes neuro, it could be an interesting path because you could balance your chronic clinic type problems with a hands-on procedure that has an immediate outcome.

But above is a good point - what is it that interests you aside from the coiling.

both interesting points.

See, I really like the idea of radiology, but I'm not sure if I'd want to do that all the time. The procedural aspect would be a way to mix it up.

something to think about

In Canada, it's not easy to do interventional neuroradiology as a neurologist.

Between radiology and neurosurgery, the easier would be radiology but you have to like what you will do between the procedures. Just try to decide whether you prefer to operate or look at films!

At my hospital, there are 4 interventional "neuroradiologists" and it's 50/50 neurosurg and radiology.

Archived