Premed 101 Forums

Hyperglycemia

Thought I may post this here to see if anyone has any information about this.

I'm looking into some research about avian species that have innate high blood glucose levels (much higher concentration than humans), and a question I was wondering is why they're not suffering from diabetes or any effects of hyperglycemia that humans normally would.

Now does anyone have any resources that would explain why human tissue is hurt by hyperglycemia?

Thanks! :)

1) Concerning your question about birds, I have no clue.

2) How does hyperglycemia affects body tissues? Look up AGEs.

Sorry I do mind! come back prateek don't be afraid.

Hey thanks! I just found out about AGEs right after I posted haha, and I'll start looking into this now :) Thanks!

I think glucose, as a big protein, modifies the osmosis equilibrium in the blood vessels and outside of them. So instad of the nutrients normally going out of the vessels, glucose crates a retention effect and drows into the vessels liquid. So the result is that less nutrients go out of the blood vessels and more pressure is needed to do that, hence the high blood pressure and many other complications of diebetes.

Sorry if it's not clear, I learned it in french and it's hard for me to explain it in english.

AGEs are one of the two main ways which diabetes leads to disease, but why is it that birds do not form them at the same sugar levels as humans?

I think glucose, as a big protein, modifies the osmosis equilibrium in the blood vessels and outside of them. So instad of the nutrients normally going out of the vessels, glucose crates a retention effect and drows into the vessels liquid. So the result is that less nutrients go out of the blood vessels and more pressure is needed to do that, hence the high blood pressure and many other complications of diebetes.

Sorry if it's not clear, I learned it in french and it's hard for me to explain it in english.

Glucose is in no way a protein!!!!!

But you're right, it's an effective osmol (unlike urea for eg).

Well, I don't think that the osmotic effect of glucose is one of the more significant sequelae of hyperglycemia (apart from making sodium levels seem lower than they are).

I think they might have been referring to production of sorbitol from glucose, which causes problems in the lens, retina, schwann cells, and I think also kidneys.

Archived