Premed 101 Forums

Question for V?

Guest unregistered

Guest unregistered

Dear V,

As I was going through the Accepted/waitlist post, I noticed that you got accepted on your second try.

If you don't mind, may I ask you what happened on your first try? Did you get an interview, and then on bad waitlist? What did you do to improve your application?

Many thanks, and congratulations on your acceptance.

Hi,

When I first applied (in my 3rd year), I had no idea what medicine was all about. True, I had done many medical related extra curricular activities, and had a complete resume, but the essence of medicine was lacking. I also had not done any research at that point in time.

When I applied that year, I had the wrong approach to my applications. I wrote down what I THOUGHT they wanted, and as a result, the were not genuine and hence sounded too fake. Also, for Ottawa that year, as posted in other places, no research usually means no interview (high probability at least). My MCATS were good, except for verbal. Unfortunatly, I did not received any interviews.

The next year was different. I had an NSERC summer studentship under my belt, and began my fourth-year honour's thesis in the department of Obs/Gyn in the Faculty of Medicine at Western (Physiology). I re-wrote the MCAT(10-13-13-Q) which really helped out. I also focused more on personal experiences and what I THOUGHT I enjoyed/learned from my activities. I made a concious effort to extract the important lessons from each experience and consequently I wrote those points down on my applications, making it sound more genuine. I say, before doing your applications, spend a whole bunch of time writing down what you did, what you learned, and how you have become a better person from it.

The other thing I realized is that your experiences do not have to be medically related. I mean look at the applicant pool from year to year. Sure, you have some medically enthusiatic/focused people who have volunteered at hospitals since they were 2, but equally important (and in quantity) are those who played the trumpet or sports in that same time frame. I think they want to see well-rounded people, who have taken the most out of life, and hence, can give back to those in need.

I also believe that you have to really know yourself for these applications. Especially when you have interviews, you have to know what you can and can't do. Plus, you have to know when to tell someone, when you just dont know.

When I put all this stuff together, I received interviews to U of O, U of T, UWO, Queens and the University of Manitoba. This strategy helped me receive acceptances this year at all 5 schools.

In other words, work hard, look at your weak points and take every opportunity to improve yourself. Stay focused and positive and I am sure it will work out for you. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unregistered

Dear V,

Thank you for your response - it was very helpful. Nice to know that one can go from no interviews, to all acceptances.

Can I ask you one more thing? When you said you had no interviews (inclu. Western/Queens), is it because of the verbal mark? Did that hold you back?

Thank you so much.

You hit it right on the nose. When I was studying the first time, I thought "Ewww, I hate verbal.... I should just do the parts I'm good at, and leave VR until the end".

Wrong.

Focus on your weak points was my motto the second time around. I did VR intensely for a bit (3-4 passages a day in the morning then disected where I was going wrong) and I saw my scored improving.

Although the MCAT isn't really important in the whole Ontario application (BESIDES Western - 25%) you STILL need to make the cut-offs. Once you have an interview, everyone is on a clean slate.

Archived