Premed 101 Forums

Primary Care fields/positions for vulnerable populations?

Mayan

Hi all,

I am wondering what sort of primary care positions focus on providing treatment to vulnerable populations--ie those that are marginalized, stigmatized, etc...

One example might be a rural physician located near a remote aboriginal community. If possible, please direct me to any resources that provide answers.

Thanks.

I don't have any direct answers to this, but I'd suggest contacting 1) Aboriginal Family Medicine residency programs - I know there's one through UBC and I'm sure there are more 2) low-income/homeless clinics in the city - I know Edmonton has one. I have no idea how these physicians get paid (if at all - these may be volunteer positions). Those people might have some answers for you.

In London and Kitchener/Waterloo it's the family docs who take on these folks. Setting up electives with them during your residency and clerkship helps, as does following their conferences. I know that Mac/KW will have marginalized peoples electives next year for their family medicine residents.

I agree with Jochi, set up electives/chats with the docs closest to you who take care of this population. They'll be your best resource.

Forgot to mention that UBC Vic has an aboriginal FM residency.

I was at a showing of The Deadliest Disease in America. During one of the breakout sessions, the presenter talked about underserved urban populations. Using Washington, DC as an example he showed that while the doctor : patient ratio is okay a lot of the doctors are concentrated in the SunnySide of the city. So people from the NotSoSunnySide have to travel further to get care. This means that poorer income people have to take public transport, take more time off work, find daycare for children etc. to make it to appointments across town.

So you might also want to consider opening a regular practice in the NotSoSunnySide of whatever city you live in.

Archived