Premed 101 Forums

When is the notification for an interview offer / rejection?

Thanks monty. Are you OOP?

Yeah, I'm from BC. Sucks I didn't make the cutoff, by my calculations I missed it by like 10 points. Although, depending on the standard deviation and number of applicants I could have been metaphorically speaking miles away! I will be IP for next year as I am moving to Calgary.

Monty - are you moving to Calgary just to be considered IP? I'm considering doing the same. Two concerns, though: does admissions may frown upon this practice? From reading past posts this doesn't seem to be an issue. Would be nice to hear from anyone who's contacted admissions about this though. Secondly, not sure if you applied to UBC this cycle (i.e., class of 2015), but there they totally revamped the evaluation system by which they assign points for AQ and NAQ, hence my possible move to Alberta. Any chance Calgary would do something along the same lines, but with residency requirements? That would be the gongshow to end all gongshows.

Checked the manual and still can't find it... Maybe I'm imagining this :S. It may be on their blog though... That will be the next place I check :P

Yup here it is:

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/

3. What’s next? We are currently in the process of training our file reviewers. We expect to have all the transcripts scanned and files ready to go by the end of the month. There will then be a quiet period until late Jan, when interview offers will come out. Non-Albertan applicants will be put through the “algorithm” and the top 200 or so will be sent for full file review (the exact number varies from year to year and depends upon the total number of applicants). If your file does not go for full review, we will notify you sometime in late November, or as soon as we know. We will also notify those whose file is still live that they have been sent for full review.

Monty - are you moving to Calgary just to be considered IP? I'm considering doing the same. Two concerns, though: does admissions may frown upon this practice? From reading past posts this doesn't seem to be an issue. Would be nice to hear from anyone who's contacted admissions about this though. Secondly, not sure if you applied to UBC this cycle (i.e., class of 2015), but there they totally revamped the evaluation system by which they assign points for AQ and NAQ, hence my possible move to Alberta. Any chance Calgary would do something along the same lines, but with residency requirements? That would be the gongshow to end all gongshows.

Ya, I am pretty much moving to AB for the in province consideration. Although, my lady and I are wanting a bit of a change anyway so it will be for the best. I am also applying to q couple masters programs as well but one is a year in Ontario and one is a year and a couple month practicum in AB. It will be hard to decide which one to take if I get accepted to both! If I don't get accepted to either the decision will be much easier lol.

Ya, I applied to ubc his year thinking I had a good shot at interview...I have an 84 for my last sixty and an 83 overall. Lots of volunteer work and got a twelve on my AQ and around a 12 on my NAQ. I had friends who applied last year with nearly identical stats that are currently attending UBC med and I didn't even get an interview what luck! Maybe if my transcript didn't magically disappear even though the system said it was there last year things would be different!

Anyway, enough of my rant. The question is how do I strengthen my app for the next cycle provided nothing comes of Mac or Calgary.

Ps I am applying state side as well next cycle!

notified that they're getting a full file review, or notified about interviews?

Notified whether or not they're getting a full file review

what does this mean the applications will be put through an algorithm?

On the applicant manual there is a formula used to create a score for OOP students. Calgary then sets a cutoff and anyone above that gets their file reviewed fully (ECs etc)

Archived