Premed 101 Forums

Would a B+ in grad school kill my chances?

Hi all,

I'm in a course-based master right now. I found one of my courses quite difficult (given the amount of time I have for school recently) and will probably receive a B+ for it. I have a A- for one of my other courses and have A/A+ for the rest.

Does anyone know if this B+ would ruin my chances with medical school? I don't know how strict they are when it comes to graduate-level courses. Thanks!

Confused =(

No one b+ is not going to kill your chances at med school. In fact, many med schos don't consider our grad gpa (besides u of Calgary, and UBC). Other med schools will just give you a tiny boost on your app for having the graduate degree(Mcmaster) Other schools like U of T want to see research productivity from your graduate studies. At least this is as far as I know.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work!

Hi all,

I'm in a course-based master right now. I found one of my courses quite difficult (given the amount of time I have for school recently) and will probably receive a B+ for it. I have a A- for one of my other courses and have A/A+ for the rest.

Does anyone know if this B+ would ruin my chances with medical school? I don't know how strict they are when it comes to graduate-level courses. Thanks!

Confused =(

As the above poster stated, most schools don't look specifically at your grad marks. I can confirm that at UofT, they do look at grad marks (though not assessed as part of GPA). UofT expects you to maintain "A-level" (A-, A or A+) grad marks. This is more important if you're in a course-based program than a research-based. A single B+ isn't going to kill you, but the rest of your record will be closely scrutinized as a result.

• 3 weeks later...
you shouldn't be getting B+ in grad school. the lowest should be an -A. in my grad program you can get kicked out for having a B+ or lower.

This is actually not always true, and depends very much on the program and department. In the department where I did my master's, a C- was the minimum passing grade for master's students and a B- was the minimum for PhD students. There were certain courses where the professor hadn't given anyone a grade higher than a B- in years. There was one infamous course called Physics 721, which was a PhD requirement, where less than a third of the students passed every year and most people had to take it two or three times to pass. It was optional for master's students, so I didn't take it! :)

OP,

Are you in a couse based masters? If so, no worries at all. Most class averages are a B+ for course based programs. If you eventually want to apply to a program that looks at grad grades (eg Dalhousie), you'll want to keep the rest of the grades up. I had one B+ on my course based masters, and got an interview at Dal where they take grad grades into account.

Good luck!

Archived