Premed 101 Forums

Biomed at mcgill

medical

What is to be expected from the biomed program at mcgill? Would I be more able to maintain a good overall score at mcgill in order to apply to med after or is it thougher than, let's say, UdeM for example. I heard it dosent matter where you do your b.sc, you just need a good average.. I obviously want the best score I can get and I don't want the fact that I applied to a more challenging school ruin everything....

Biomedical Sciences at McGill for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences phased out two years ago.

If you come to McGill now, you will have to choose your major between the bottom majors for anything related to the health sciences.

Physiology

Biochemistry

Anatomy and Cell Biology

Microbiology and Immunology

Biology

Pharmacology *

Neuroscience *

Honours Immunology *

*requires an extra application to get in

McGill health sciences are known to be difficult because of the number of competitive students who come to study at McGill for the health sciences.

However, it is not difficult to get a good GPA if you really try in your courses.

Usually, the last two years of the program are the hardest years to get good grades, but that really depends on how you do :S

(Most premeds transfer to Anatomy and Cell Biology during their 3rd year after being dominated in other majors, namely Physiology and Biochemistry... I'm talking about actually failing required courses)

Well, wouldn't that make it harder to be better than average?

And also, I am color blind :P

Being above average does not really matter anymore, you only need to be above 85% in order to get your A and your 4.0 GPA.

There is no score such as R Score (to the best of my knowledge) here at McGill.

But how hard is it to get 85, if you choose, let's say biology ? It can't be harder than immunology...Are some of the programs more advantageous than others?

Oh, and btw are francophones doing well at mcgill?

thanks!

Well I'd say that getting an 85 is not easy and requires work. Its doable if you do the work though. Getting >85 in all your courses for 3-4 years in a row is def not easy...

I dunno, I've done pretty well, but I know its not the same for everyone.

Well I'd say that getting an 85 is not easy and requires work. Its doable if you do the work though. Getting >85 in all your courses for 3-4 years in a row is def not easy...

I dunno, I've done pretty well, but I know its not the same for everyone.

I don't find the material hard actually. We see the basic stuff (Transcription,translation in details in Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes, proteins folding....) However, the amount of material present and the links we must do during the exams require a lot of thinking and a lot of work in order to be ready for the final examination.

Getting an A is very doable is you do like Biochemistry and Biology and if you're ready to work like masaraksh said.

I don't find the material hard actually. We see the basic stuff (Transcription,translation in details in Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes, proteins folding....) However, the amount of material present and the links we must do during the exams require a lot of thinking and a lot of work in order to be ready for the final examination.

Getting an A is very doable is you do like Biochemistry and Biology and if you're ready to work like masaraksh said.

Some courses also have the "WTF we never learned this... why is it on the exam" factor. trust me.

• 2 weeks later...

IRT your question about bell curving...

It doesn't really happen in most physio, bio or chem courses. Like they will curve you up if anything. Profs generally don't want trouble so they avoid curving ppl down.

4.0 is doable - some people work hard and study for it, others are able to get away with not attending class and cramming the day before the exam.

Exams are harder compared to cegep. You'd frequently get questions that'd make you think. I'd say a course or two in physiology, anatomy and cellular biology would be good prep for first year med. They'll teach you w.e. you didn't learn in Med 1 so don't worry too much about this.

How grading system works is as follows:

85-100 ---> 4.0 (A)

80-85 ---> 3.7 (A-)

75-80 ---> 3.5 (B+)

70-75 ---> 3.3 (B)

And down it goes every 5%. No more r-score or % grades. All that will appear is a descrete letter grade per course.

IRT your question about bell curving...

It doesn't really happen in most physio, bio or chem courses. Like they will curve you up if anything. Profs generally don't want trouble so they avoid curving ppl down.

4.0 is doable - some people work hard and study for it, others are able to get away with not attending class and cramming the day before the exam.

Exams are harder compared to cegep. You'd frequently get questions that'd make you think. I'd say a course or two in physiology, anatomy and cellular biology would be good prep for first year med. They'll teach you w.e. you didn't learn in Med 1 so don't worry too much about this.

How grading system works is as follows:

85-100 ---> 4.0 (A)

80-85 ---> 3.7 (A-)

75-80 ---> 3.5 (B+)

70-75 ---> 3.3 (B)

And down it goes every 5%. No more r-score or % grades. All that will appear is a descrete letter grade per course.

B+ gives you a 3.3 and B a 3.0. Nothing gives you 3.5 and I do not understand why they've come up with this system...

Archived