Premed 101 Forums

How old where you when you decided to be a doctor?

smalltowngirl33

1. I was 14. I was born with bilateral cleft lip and palate (which miraculously is hardly noticeable, and I have zero speech problems), and I've had 10+ surgeries related to this. Growing up, when it was still pretty noticeable, I thought no one would ever want me working for them because of my cleft. Then, I was waiting in pre-op before my final surgery, and my anesthesiologist came to talk to me. I noticed he had cleft and it opened my eyes to the world of medicine.

2. I want to help people like me who were born with cleft. I feel like I could be a great support for them, considering I know what they're going through.

3. Yes

4. Not taking the semester off when my grandma was sick and I had to take care of her. But a semester of not-so-great grades isn't going to kill me, so... overall, nah

Hey everyone,

I am interested to know a couple of things:

1. How old you were when you decided to pursue medicine?
    Tough to say for sure, I know I definitely decided to pursue it as a career when I was 12... but I'm fairly certain it was the extreme exposure to medicine I had growing up (my mother had a couple operations and then passed away when I was 10)
  2. Why medicine? (brief answer)
    It's an opportunity to grow as a person, help others, lifelong learning, stable career choice, provide the community with a service it desperately needs and also operate my own business (family practice)... it just seems so stimulating in a very human and real way.
  3. Has your desire to enter medicine evolved since you first decided you would pursue admissions?
    Of course, but only in the sense of what I saw myself doing... and how I wanted to help people. I would say that my desire to enter medicine has grown over the years especially now that I am working...
  4. Any regrets along the way?
    That I wasn't more open to change (I am now) and that I felt like I let myself down along the way.

10 characters...

1. I was 14. I was born with bilateral cleft lip and palate (which miraculously is hardly noticeable, and I have zero speech problems), and I've had 10+ surgeries related to this. Growing up, when it was still pretty noticeable, I thought no one would ever want me working for them because of my cleft. Then, I was waiting in pre-op before my final surgery, and my anesthesiologist came to talk to me. I noticed he had cleft and it opened my eyes to the world of medicine.

This is amazing :) Operation smile would be lucky to have you one day as a physician.

yeah, that's pretty bad ass man, i'd like to get my pilots license after i finnish residency, did you fly commercially?

I actually fly in the military - Search and Rescue. It's a good job but not something I can see myself doing long term. (Hence the med school application..)

Flying as a hobby is lots of fun if you can afford it!! I have met many Docs who are private pilots. In fact, there is one plane that is known around the world as a Doctor Killer... Google "V tailed Doctor Killer" if you want to know why ;)

Flying as a hobby is lots of fun if you can afford it!! I have met many Docs who are private pilots. In fact, there is one plane that is known around the world as a Doctor Killer... Google "V tailed Doctor Killer" if you want to know why ;)

I thought the boomerang killed the flying doctor...

(gold star to the person who recognizes this...)

I'll post my response later.

Archived