Premed 101 Forums

How old where you when you decided to be a doctor?

smalltowngirl33

Hey everyone,

I am interested to know a couple of things:

1. How old you were when you decided to pursue medicine?
  2. Why medicine? (brief answer)
  3. Has your desire to enter medicine evolved since you first decided you would pursue admissions?
  4. Any regrets along the way?

5. (for med students) Is medical school what you were hoping it would be? Why? Why not?

obviously you don't have to answer each question. I am just hoping for a positive thread that to bring everyone back to that initial feeling we all had when we chose this long path :) thanks

Hey everyone,

3. Has your desire to enter medicine evolved since you first decided you would pursue admissions?

5. (for med students) Is medical school what you were hoping it would be? Why? Why not?

obviously you don't have to answer each question. I am just hoping for a positive thread that to bring everyone back to that initial feeling we all had when we chose this long path :) thanks

1. This summer, a short time before my 22nd birthday.

2. I like helping and curing people and I very interested into learning about the human body.

3. I still didn't submit any admission request.

4. I wish I though about it earlier.

Hey everyone,

1. About 23 I think.

2. Profession that combines a demanding mix of intellectual, social, and technical skills. And there are just so many interesting cases...

3. No regrets, apart from not starting a bit earlier.

4. I'm not sure what I was hoping it would be... but it's great. Clerkship > pre-clerkship too.

Hey everyone,

2. How old you were when you decided to pursue medicine?
    17ish, last year of high school

3. Why medicine? (brief answer)
    Combines science, human interaction, and future job security

4. Has your desire to enter medicine evolved since you first decided you would pursue admissions?
    It got stronger and stronger the more volunteer work I did.

5. Any regrets along the way?
    Yes, missed out on things due to the workload in undergrad but all worth it in the end I guess

6. (for med students) Is medical school what you were hoping it would be? Why? Why not?

Mostly yes, but uoft's work load is brutal that surprised me a little

10 charrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hey everyone,

1) 17

2) I wanted my career to have meaning. I wanted to love what I do.

3) I have no regrets.

4) Its everything I expected and wanted. Classmates are a lot more social than I was expecting. But this is a good thing!

Figured I might as well give my response. BTW, I loved the comment by HBP. (Does that stand for half blood prince? HP nerds will understand...).

Hey everyone,

It fascinates me. I figured that if I am this passionate about something I love then I could do well in this field and make a difference. I love to help others and want to practice in rural communities. Big cities scare me...
    Greatly.
    It would be nice to go back to when I started undergrad knowing everything I know now. But I'm happy I became a stronger/more mature person :)

Hey everyone,

1. I'm not entirely sure when I first wanted to be a doctor.

2. I find the subject matter really interesting. I like the fact that there is life long learning. There are a huge range of opportunities (clinician, research, teaching, administration etc).

3. As a kid it was what you wanted to be if you were smart and liked science. As I got older I really liked the human body part of biology. Then after I graduated I worked in several different jobs and realized that the aspects that I really liked were aspects relating to medicine in some way.

4. I regret not knowing more about the admissions process in first year, but really the time I spent working after I graduated really shaped me as a person, so it all worked out.

5. Med school has been great so far and mostly what I expected.

Hey everyone,

18. Fresh out of highschool. Was debating an undergrad in engineering or biochemistry. Weighed my options and went biochemistry
    I am fixated on a career in translational medicine and being an MD just makes things 10x easier
    Nah, it's been about the same throughout
    I wish I took French Immersion in Grade 7

I loved most things I studied in university, I wouldn't mind being a prof in a bunch of different subjects especially chem, psych, sociology or philosophy.

I'd also enjoy being a psychologist, wouldn't mind OT, economics, investing, business, writing, teaching.

In the end I cut it down to psychology or medicine because of the ability to work wherever I wan't, make an income that allows me the freedom to live the lifestyle I want... it's also a plus that i can choose to be my own boss and that i'm able me to help people in a way I feel comfortable with.

Just a narrowing down in specialties I'm interested in.

Wish I would of took a year off before going into med, besides that, not really.

Pretty neutral, just like undergrad, clerkship will tell, since I'm more naive than most about clinical medicine not involving psych.

Hey everyone,

Figured I might as well give my response. BTW, I loved the comment by HBP. (Does that stand for half blood prince? HP nerds will understand...).

i've always thought it stood for High Blood Pressure

Totally reppin Severus Snape here.

I started using HBP before the 6th book came out. When Snape killed Dumbledore I was like NOOOOOO, but couldn't change the name. After I read The Prince's Tale in Deathly Hallows, one of my favorite chapters, I was like YEAAAAAAAAAA

:cool:

Hey everyone,

[*]How old you were when you decided to pursue medicine?

[*]Why medicine? (brief answer)

[*]Has your desire to enter medicine evolved since you first decided you would pursue admissions?

[*] Any regrets along the way?

1. I had thought about medicine since age 14, but I definitely decided on a career in medicine at age 19.

2. The death of a loved one who died unnecessarily and too early (age 58) from diabetes greatly influenced and motivated my decision.

3. My motivation has become stronger.

4. I have no regrets. The journey has required self-sacrifice, hard work and it is all worth it.

1. 21, in my last year of undergrad, although it wasn't until 26 that I really thought it was possible and acted on it.

2. Medicine for the diversity within the profession, interaction with people, critical thinking/problem solving, and because there is nothing in the universe more amazing to me than the human body.

3. Everything has evolved! At first, I gave up without even trying because I thought I had no chance. After 5 years of being a pilot I decided I would always regret not giving it a shot...so here I am :)

4. Regrets? Nah. It's taken me a while to get here, but I have grown up a lot since finishing school, and I feel ready for medicine now. Plus, I got to fly some amazing airplanes, and wouldn't trade that for anything!!

1. 21, in my last year of undergrad, although it wasn't until 26 that I really thought it was possible and acted on it.

2. Medicine for the diversity within the profession, interaction with people, critical thinking/problem solving, and because there is nothing in the universe more amazing to me than the human body.

3. Everything has evolved! At first, I gave up without even trying because I thought I had no chance. After 5 years of being a pilot I decided I would always regret not giving it a shot...so here I am :)

4. Regrets? Nah. It's taken me a while to get here, but I have grown up a lot since finishing school, and I feel ready for medicine now. Plus, I got to fly some amazing airplanes, and wouldn't trade that for anything!!

You are a pilot?! Oh my gosh! That sounds amazing!

Archived