Premed 101 Forums

Frosh Contingency Planning/Prep :)

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

In the "spirit" of killing time...dulling the anxiety...and preparing ourselves for frosh in case we get a "good" letter...I thought it might be worth seeing if anybody would be interested in meeting for something to eat and perhaps a drink or 100 this saturday afternoon (i.e., May 25th). Not only could it be fun to dull our senses, it might also be nice to meet our potential classmates...who's game? If enough people are game (i.e., lets say more than 3 people...me, myself and I) then we can make it so! I suggest that those who are interested respond to this post by no later than this thursday at 6:00pm with a suggestion with respect to interest, suggested place for consumption and time...I'll post the final meeting place by 7:00pm.

I hope there is interest in this pre-frosh activity...it could be lots of fun...

Peter

Oh, by the way...obviously I would be in...and I'm totally easy with respect to where we could meet. I also suggest that this would be open to current students, residents, spouses/partners, etc.

Guest mtws

PeterHill,

You amaze me. How can you be so confident?

Pre-acceptance frosh activities????

I am completely unnerved (is that a word?) by this waiting game. Distracted and absent-minded, I check the date on my watch 3 and 4 times a day wanting it to be the 2nd or 3rd of June.

Honestly, how are you so confident??!!

The way I figure it, my chances are at best one in two, and that's assuming I got a good score on the interview.

Guest PeterHill0501

mtws...I'm not at all confident...one minute I'm "definitely in" and the next second "there's no way in HE$$" that I'm going to get an offer...

I guess this is about distraction and meeting some fun people we've been interacting with over the last year or so...meeting potential classmates...or future colleagues...whether we are accepted this year or next...or perhaps the year after that!

The time is near and people's nerves may be a bit frazzled...a fun time out may be just the thing people need to unwind a bit and reduce, even if just for an hour or two, the stress and anticipation each one of us is feeling at this very moment.

I apologize if I communicated that I was confident I was going to get an offer...unfortunately, I cannot say I feel that way 95% of the time. I'm finding these days just as tough as anybody else in here....

I hope you decide to join us...

Peter

Guest Angela

Hi Peter,

I too was wondering how you stay so optimistic! Did you have many interviews? I had 5, one in Calgary and the rest in Ontario. I have already been waitlisted at Calgary (no great feat since all OOP applicants that don't get in are waitlisted!). That was definitely my worst interview and all the rest I feel went really well. If someone had 4 interviews do you think you are pretty much guaranteed at least one acceptance?

Sorry, I shouldn't be complaining, I know many people only had one interview. However, we are all in the same boat and I just can't stop thinking about it. Being able to sleep would be nice, and I think my boyfriend is ready to move out!! Please put my mind at ease with some of your optimism!

I have seen some of you guys in the Calgary/Toronto sites. I have a quick question I have been accepted at Calgary already, but I am waiting to hear from a few others in Ontario.

Basically, I have lived in Ottawa all my life and used to want to go to ottawa more than anything. After travelling to my Calgary interview I feel in love with the program there.

I would love to have other people's thoughts on the merit of the Ottawa vs Calgary program. I am dreading making this decision (that is of course if I have too).

Thanks

Guest PeterHill0501

Angela,

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I too was wondering how you stay so optimistic!<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

While I'm human...I do tend towards optimism...I feel that being an "eeoyre" (you know...the 'a$$ in winnie the pooh that's always depressed and looking for his tail?) isn't a style I choose...too depressing!

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Did you have many interviews?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Nope...I chose only to apply to University of Ottawa....it's a world-class school...the climate within the school (i.e., between classmates and between classmates and faculty) is what I'm looking for...and I really love Ottawa...I don't want to move. By the way...I only buy one lottery ticket at a time too... :) If I don't get in this year...I will another...this is a reality...eventually...not a short-term goal. I've had plenty of opportunity to think and experience what I want out of life/employment, etc. This is what I want...it's just a matter of time before it's a reality. After having been laid off from a 12+ year career...having been through divorce, etc., etc., I realize that anything is achieveable...it's a matter of time, desire, and willingness to persevere.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Being able to sleep would be nice, and I think my boyfriend is ready to move out!! Please put my mind at ease with some of your optimism!<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

As my wife has already been through the U of O program...gone through residency...and is now practicing...she just smiles at me in an understanding way...I can definitely be a bit of a bear at times...but she understands...I hope your boyfriend is understanding...this is the easy part...wait until you get into residency...24+ hour call...you'll be really easy to get along with then :lol I used to refer to my wife as my "PCB"...post call [substitute any word you wish...I personally inserted 'babe' for reasons of self-preservation and saving the healthcare system from unnecessary expense!].

Will you and your boyfriend join us for some pre-acceptance stress relief?

Peter

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

M...not to be rude...but before entertaining your off-topic topic...are you joining us for some stress relief????

Peter

I know it sounds strange but I am even more stressed out now that I have gotten in somewhere and might have to decide where to go. I never that I would get in anywhere let alone more than one school...

Once you get in everything is stressful - money (i didn't get osap because I worked this year). Where to go... AND of course leaving my boyfriend behind :(

I could be in for Saturday if I can secure a babysitter. Should I just look for the table of wildeyed, sleep-deprived people with a death grip on their beers? I should fit right in.

A highschool student asked me the other day what one needs to apply to medical school. I was sorely tempted to tell him "brain damage". Maybe I can still get my old job back.

Guest PeterHill0501

MN - I understand about the babysitter...I don't have my kids this week so it's not an issue...I hope you can find one...

M - that's really too bad about your boyfriend...can't imagine what it would be like to leave a lover behind while in school or for any other reason for that matter...hopefully things will work out for you. With respect to money...have you secured a line of credit? If not...visit the Royal Bank of Canada...in preparation for the possibility of an acceptance I have secured 50K for year 1 with the possibility of extending to 125K or more, as required. It's not worth stressing over money...you'll have to give in to the fact that you're going to be poor and in debt for the next few years otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts. By the way...you never committed one way or another to joining us on Saturday...unless your subject line was your answer...

Peter

Guest mtws

My wife and I are heading up to the cottage this weekend, although it would be neat to meet some of you. Not such a bad idea afterall PeterHill. Too bad for me.

We've been spending our time touring the cottage country for lakefront properties. Somewhere to build our dream home some ten-twenty years down the road. It helps to pass the time.

I have a secret.

This is my fifth year of applying to medical school.

Anyone else as pathetic as me out there?

If I'm not accepted this year - a year when my application is just about as perfect as it will ever be - I don't know what I will do. Another round of applications will be extremely difficult. I'll do it. But I won't like it.

This was my first year receiving interviews. I interviewed at UofT and UofO and I really want UofO.

If I only get UofT - the wife won't be coming. (Her job, our home in Ottawa, the sitter, her family, so many reasons - it wouldn't make sense for her to come right away.) We'll have to do the commute thing. That's hard. I really don't want to be away from the baby. But this is what I've always wanted to do with my life.

Ya know. I used to read some of the emails that PeterHill put up here and wonder 'how can he be so open?' 'how is he so willing to give away so much about himself via these means?'

It's cathartic.

This was fun. Thanks PeterHill (if that's your real name?!) :)

Matt

Guest PeterHill0501

You're welcome Matt...and I guess to know if this is really my name you'll have to either come out on Saturday or, if we're both accepted this year, come and meet me... :)

Have a great time at "the cottage"...man, I really miss my cottage and my boat...you're a lucky guy. I grew up always having cottages and, unfortunately, the last time we moved to Ottawa, my parents sold their cottage as the commute was getting too much for them...it's been quite a while now...but you never forget the great memories...it really is a lifestyle that everyone should experience at some point in their lives, however, I must admit it's probably best when you're really young...and then when you're 25-30 or older...if you're a cottage goer you'll understand.

By the way...I do post under my real name.

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

OK...it sounds like there are enough people to do this...where would everyone like to meet? I'm quite easy...the market (e.g., minglewoods...heart and crown), elgin street (e.g., Fox and Feather, Woody's)...downtown (e.g., Royal Oak on Bank)...and what time...I would like to suggest early afternoon...sometime around 1pm or so...but I'm clearly open to alternate suggestions.

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

Since nobody has replied on the board I will post where we will be and hope to see some of you there...we'll be at the Royal Oak at 4:00pm on Saturday...looking forward to meeting you! If we don't see you there perhaps we'll meet in September?

Cheers,

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

Ooops...sorry about that...the only one I ever go to is the one which is right across the street from Barrymore's. Also, I think I'll probably be there by 2:00pm...sorry if you planned on being there at 4:00pm...I'll be wearing a brown leather jacket...I'm 6'1"...and 39...I'll be drinking a large R&C...should make it easy to find me!

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks to all those who came out...ouch...my head is going to hurt tomorrow morning...or perhaps later tonight! "Bibs", it was especially nice to meet you...don't worry about the spill...I'll send you the bill :)

MN, Melissa13, mtws, M, Angela, I'm sorry you weren't able to come...perhaps during frosh week if we should be so lucky?

Peter

Sorry, I couldn't make it. Was really looking forward to getting out, putting some faces to names and speaking to those who can understand the situation (not to mention just plain getting out). I ended up with 6 extra neighbourhood kids in addition to my own in my yard. No sitter in their right mind would have taken on that. Next time, Mary

Guest PeterHill0501

Hey, MN, don't worry about it...we definitely missed you, however, I completely understand the kid thing! Perhaps we could do it again when James is back in town in a few weeks? Anyway take care...and good luck this week...let me know how things go!

Peter

Guest mtws

We didn't go to the cottage afterall. I fell extremely ill. Had to cancel my Friday class.

Thank heaven it's passed.

One heck of a bug - wiped this 220 lb frame right out.

Thought of you on Saturday afternoon though.

I even attempted to stand up.

Sorry I missed you.

Matt

Post Script In the spirit of eternal optimism:

I will see you in September.

Guest PeterHill0501

Hey mtws...

Sorry to hear you were feeling under the weather...I was thinking it might be nice to plan another get together...if you guys are interested I was thinking about having all of you over to my place this coming friday or saturday night for some martini's, beer, munchies, etc. My house is just behind the civic hospital...nice and central for all.

If you're interested give me a buzz on private e-mail (click on my login name to get my address) and we'll set something up. The kids will be here...but they go to bed at about 8. mtws, MN, your spouses are obviously welcome...James, if you're back in town your girlfriend would most certainly be welcome as well.

Peter

Guest mtws

Seven days to go. Final week.

The 40 days and 40 nights since my last interview is coming to a close (good thing - I don't think I can hold my breath much longer)

This weekend is not good for me, Peter. Sorry. Some other time for sure.

Good luck with the mailman next week.

Fingers crossed.

Matt

Guest James Wong

Hey guys,

I`ll be back briefly the weekend of June 7/8th for graduation but it`s back here to Trois Rivieres for another week. I`ll be free briefly after June 14th (but please don`t feel the need to accomodate my busy schedule, you guys make plans and I`ll see what I can do to get there!).

James

Archived