Premed 101 Forums

Interview Offers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I've gone through this process several times and this has been the general process: They review all aplications and then rank them. A given number of NL's, NB's PEI's and OOP's are offered interviews. Those interviews are completed and if they don't find acceptable candidates in the first batch to fill the seats, they will go back to the list and interview more applicants. So, as time goes on, it will become less and less likely that you will be notified. Hope this helps anyone who is still in limbo, I've been there before and I know how much it sucks!!!

I was offered an interview, but the time conflicted with my interview for UBC. I'm OOP for both and I had already booked a flight to Vancouver. There was no way I could do both. They offered me one time slot and refused to change it even after I explained my situation. It seems like a good enough school, but the way I was treated by their admissions office was ridiculous.

Aww that's horrible :(. I would contact the dean and try to explain my situation for them.

Does anyone know if there is a written component for Memorial MMI?

I was not expecting to receive an interview from them (being an OOP) therefore have not done much research about their MMIs.

Unless things have changed this year, it is a panel interview.

Also, to the OOP above with the time conflict, try to contact the dean of admissions directly and explain the situation. Sometimes office staff don't want to have any flexibility, which is unfortunate, because it reflects poorly on the school. The worst that will happen is they will refuse, which means you won't interview there anyway, so who cares if they think you are annoying.

rapy13: The admissions office told me that they review files in alphabetical order... however, they do not necessarily schedule interview in alphabetical order. Therefore, not receiving an invitation to interview immediately is no big deal. Though, as you say the longer you wait the less likely it is. Though, I do not believe that they work on a rolling admission as you suggested.

Eli: That is horrible news and completely ridiculous, as MUN interviews for several weeks. You really should call the Dean!

Yugerry: There is no written component, and it is not an MMI. However, the admissions office is considering changing to MMI in the future. Though, they have indicated that initially, they would try a mixture of MMI and standard panel (choose best mark or weight each, I do not know).

• 2 weeks later...

From the "Important Dates" section on their website:

January, 2012

Admissions Committee reviews applications and selects for interviews.

Jan./Feb./March, 2012

Applicants are informed of interviews and interviews are conducted.

Mid-March, 2012

Applicants who are not selected for interview are informed.

So I'm guessing it may be a while before people hear from them.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the general feeling around campus seems to be that interviews finished last week. I could be completely wrong about this, but I figured I'd put it out there.

On that note, has anyone heard if IP offers are going to be moved up this year?

Blade Runner, when I was at Memorial for my interview, several of the people who I chatted with said the word around is that everything (including IP decisions) is being done earlier this year.

Edit: If anyone wants to call and confirm this though, it would be much appreciated!

I second that interviews are finished for this year.

In terms of a sooner admissions date... my understanding is that it will be on or around the 15th of May for IP.

OOP are notified earlier because there are fewer to sift through and to be competitive with Dal for securing OOP students. If OOP were notified later, students who would prefer to go to MUN may have already paid a non-refundable deposit elsewhere.

However, it is my understanding that in the coming year(s) MUN hopes to start the application cycle sooner and conduct interviews before Christmas. I do not know if that means that notification of IP students would be moved up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived