Premed 101 Forums

OOP cutoff is 3.9!

MedPen

Did anyone see the admission's officer tweet today?

I quote: "Due to extremely high level of competition among OOP applicants, candidates with a GPA below 3.9 will not be invited for an interview".

I am IP but this extremely high cutoff is worrisome. By my logic, IP cutoffs should also really increase :eek:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quote: "Due to extremely high level of competition among OOP applicants, candidates with a GPA below 3.9 will not be invited for an interview".

I am IP but this extremely high cutoff is worrisome. By my logic, IP cutoffs should also really increase :eek:

Not surprising. McGill has historically been skewed to extremely high GPA applicants. Even more so this year since they have gotten rid of the MCAT requirement for OOP.

Don't think it will be anywhere close to this bad for IPs -> you guys have more than a hundred more spots available than OOPs.

It's funny that one's odds are better as an international than OOP (less applicants in int'l pool). Too bad I can't use my other passport to apply as an international, would have had myself an interview based on the stats from last year for int'l :rolleyes:.

what you think the case will be if you submitted with extenuating circumstances with a gpa just below 3.9?

what you think the case will be if you submitted with extenuating circumstances with a gpa just below 3.9?

Good question. I honestly don't know. My personal opinion is that they would consider your extenuating circumstances and perhaps evaluate you differently than the other candidates but I don't have any cold hard facts to back this up.

omg lmao, this OOP application thing is hilarious.

Not sure "hilarious" is the right word. More like really brutal on those applying OOP. Good luck to those who meet the cutoff and sorry for those who found out they don't meet the cutoff or that there is even a cutoff!

Not sure "hilarious" is the right word. More like really brutal on those applying OOP. Good luck to those who meet the cutoff and sorry for those who found out they don't meet the cutoff or that there is even a cutoff!

It is brutal, I agree. What I find "hilarious" is how McGill seems to deliver the news in such a direct, dream-crushing manner.

Guest Juicy.Fruit

Do they include summer courses in GPA?? (if the course is not a science pre-requisite)... it determines whether i make the cut or not...

I tried searching this forum but no clear answer; I see both yes and no... and nothing on the website...

Do they include summer courses in GPA?? (if the course is not a science pre-requisite)... it determines whether i make the cut or not...

I tried searching this forum but no clear answer; I see both yes and no... and nothing on the website...

I think they do. I think they look at your entire GPA as is, without making any modifications/adjustments to it.

For IPs, it may become a function of numbers, that is to say, when t hey are swamped with the applications in mid January, if there are so many more of them and they don't want to be bothered looking for the gems amongst the lower GPAs, all they have to do is to raise the bar, and automatically, their workload is significantly reduced.

So using your logic and mine, they won't do anything about IPs re cutoofs just now, but will assess the situation late next month.

ALSO, would a 3.99 GPA (plus three decent CV highlights/abstract) guarantee interview seeing as a 3.90 pseudo-cut-off has been established?

One thing that the admissions process has taught me: there are no guarantees. But, 3.99 is a stellar GPA and you should be in the running for an interview.

So do you think (like I do) that a tweet in late january will inform us of an IP cutoff that will be high?

If they decide to raise the bar, yes, but not to anything near 3.9. With no MCAT IP, there should be tons of francophones applying and I think it would be political suicide to raise the bar IP and cut out a significant number of IP francophone applicants b/c they don't meet the new cutoffs. McGill may choose to be more holistic in their approach this year for IPs.

For OOPs, they don't care, there are no pressures brought to bear from important stakeholders, e.g., Quebec governent, so McGill is free to do as they wish for whatever reason. They just might find many more OOPs becoming IPs in the future!

As another poster said, there are no guarantees. And things are changing. All premeds live with uncertainty.

You'll probably be fine. There is no way their cut off is gonna be that high for IP, right? About your friend though, do you think they completely ignore all apps with lower than 3.9 or at least scan through them? I hope they don't just sort by GPA in excel or something and auto-decline everyone below 3.9.

OOP is just a lottery, and I bought my $85 ticket on Nov. 15th !

Well there goes all hope of ever going to McGill...3.9? Seriously? And as a hard cut-off? So if someone got that 3.0 in first year calculus they would subsequently have NO CHANCE at getting into McGill unless they absoultely 4.0 everything else? *sigh* 'tis life eh?

Archived