Premed 101 Forums

2010/2011 Applicants

rejected here as well with score ~445. I didn't hold much hope either and was hoping for a miraculous decrease in cutoff.

Come on Queens, start sending emails!

Are you hoping that they drop their writing score down to Q like I am? lol... ahhhhh the perils of a VR 10, WS Q MCAT score...

I forget, these e-mails just let OOP students know that their files have or have not been sent for complete file review, correct?

Thats correct. If you are in the top ranked group of OOP applicants then they will actually read the rest of your file...if not they don't even bother.

I actually moved to Alberta this past year for this very reason. Had a full file review at U of C last year and scored a 71. OOP cutoff was around 72 for interview but for in province was only a 66. Seems like OOP applicants only have a shot if your GPA is like a 4.0

I actually moved to Alberta this past year for this very reason. Had a full file review at U of C last year and scored a 71. OOP cutoff was around 72 for interview but for in province was only a 66. Seems like OOP applicants only have a shot if your GPA is like a 4.0

Need more than a 4.0... apparently... MCAT scores really hurt sometimes. :confused: Good luck to everyone with their other applications! Maybe all these super applicants will take Calgary and leave us spots elsewhere!? :)

Guest Juicy.Fruit

I made the cut but no email.

these "super" applicants are not necessarily super every where... i got cut at McGill. it seems like I have best shot at schools that weigh MCAT in some way in their evaluation.

Count another one for the OOP smackdown. Does anyone know if they give us OOPs any information aside from our cutoff score?

I don't think they will, Jojef. They haven't done a full file review yet, so all they've seen is your MCAT and best 2-year GPA. You should be able to calculate your score yourself rather than wait until Monday.

I don't think they will, Jojef. They haven't done a full file review yet, so all they've seen is your MCAT and best 2-year GPA. You should be able to calculate your score yourself rather than wait until Monday.

Precisely. For everyone who hasn't gotten an e-mail yet, just calculate your score. Save yourself from any heartache.

Hi ssd,

From the applicant manual it looks like last year they interviewed 127 OOP students out of the 250 selected for a full file review (out of about 1,000 total OOP applications). They accept roughly 25 students that are OOP.

Wow I didn't even know so many people were cut before a full file review. Really makes you realize that a lot of students aren't doing their homework on OOP applications (I can understand applying if you're around 440, but there are surely people with far lower scores that apply).

Note that the qualifications for interview now change dramatically from the "file review" score. MCAT is much less important, cumulative GPA (rather than best 2 years) is far more important, and activities/references now matter.

Where did you get the 1000 from?

Archived