Premed 101 Forums

Feedback from Ottawa

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

Just so nobody else wastes time on this...when I asked for feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of my application with the goal of improving my application for next year this is the response I received from Nina/admissions at U of O:

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Hi Peter:

The Admissions Committee members (interviews) don't provide any feedback.

I wish you the best.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

...hmmm, where's the compassion, caring about others, etc., in this?

Peter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AniyaSG

That's awful :\ You'd think with all the time you put in to apply to these schools that they could take a few minutes to talk to you. Sadly it seems to be the typical attitude of the UofO administration :( I got a PFO from McGill and I got to speak to the Dean of admissions. He told me some things that made sense, and some that didn't, but at least I got some feedback. I think Ottawa needs to learn to treat their students with a bit more respect. The administration should realize that they are there for the students and not vice versa...

My thoughts are with you Peter, I went through the same thing last year :\

Guest stargirl

yeah...i tried to get feedback last year...same thing...'we don't provide feedback'...what kind of crock is that...it's not as if they don't still have your file...at memorial in nfld, they also let you meet with the dean of admissions if you aren't accepted, to discuss your application...they will even give you a 2nd interview if you feel you absolutely bombed the first one (but you have to let them know within 24 hours and the results of the second one are the final word)...still, it's pretty generous i think...

Guest maxell

What arrogance. Even at the UofToronto , and the University of Manitoba they provide feedback. Luckily for me, Ottawa was never my first choice - they always seemed too indifferent, "country-club" mentality kind of people to me.

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry about the "bad" waitlist and the lack of feedback from U of O. The Queen's rejection my mom read over the phone to me last night actually flat out said not to bother asking.:rolleyes I'm amazed at how impersonal the ON system is compared to that of the other provinces, but it's probably due to the sheer number of applicants.

My fingers are crossed for you for next year; hopefully, UO will realize what they're missing out on. :)

Guest PeterHill0501

You know, it's really no wonder that candidates end up believing that the process is "random" or "biased" or many of the other things we've heard people wonder or state more strongly in these forums...it doesn't make sense not to provide feedback, especially since many of the universities do it. It leaves you with the feeling that perhaps (and I honestly do give them the benefit of the doubt believing that the process is as objective as possible) there do exist some hidden things that they don't want you to know about the process...

...if they argued it would take too much time...I would agree...but would also be willing to pay for their time in order to get the feedback...besides, other universities do it...how do they afford the time?

...it seems it would be easy...during the interview each interviewer takes notes...at the end of the interview they currently meet to debrief (I believe)...they could come up with several bullets justifying their assessment and simply send it to the candidate by e-mail with their letter...

I understand that I might not agree with their feedback...or I may...but regardless of whether I agree or not the feedback would be incredibly useful to those who are open to it.

I think Universities should be obliged to uncover their process, rankings, interview scores, etc. It should be an open process...especially since public money is being used to support each student.

Just my thoughts...as usual!

Peter

Guest U of O med

Hi Peter et al.,

I just had a little comment about the whole feedback thing. Can you imagine providing "positive feedback" to over 400 applicants who received interviews but were not selected?? It would be practically impossible.

BUT!!!! And there is a but!! It would not kill anybody to set up some standard questionnaire to be filled out by the interviewers right after the interview with a couple of questions. For example: What did you most like about the applicant? What in your opinion were a few of the applicant's weaknesses? This would be sort of a quick assessement (sort of like the interview itself) and would unfortunately involve the interview only, but it would be better than nothing.

This wouldn't take very long to fill out and it is something they could send out to you if you're not admitted.

Tell me what you guys think. It could be suggested to the dean of admissions...

Guest stargirl

they fill out the assessment form right after the interview...it's not like they have to dig up the info...it's probably filed somewhere in a little drawer until the final class is selected...

Guest AniyaSG

I can see the problem with offering feedback. However, not all of the rejected applicants do call. Perhaps there could be limited times when applicants could call for comments, or comments could only be given by email, and therefore done at times that would suit the admissions officers best.

The problem with a form, or any written declaration of why you didn't get in is that they would be easy to contest. For example, on your comment sheet: "Lacked volunteer experience in a medical setting". Answer:"I did volunteer at a hospital but I didn't mention it. If that's the only thing, you can let me in now."

I can understand being cautious with the situation, but offering such a negative blanket statement to everyone is not helpful at all. Furthermore, it simply seems to reflect the lack of consideration for the students I have encountered when dealing with the UofO administration. (NB I have heard the administrators are rude with the profs too...) Just something you have to deal with when attending the school :\

Guest tutifruiti

Yes I agree. With McGill I had that felling of respect that I don't fell with UO. Admission should be sensible about the fact that applicants have prepared themselves during many years before applying and hoping to realize their dream. Notice the words: dream, many years... As for me, I don't think I will ever undertake a more serious entreprise in my whole life... Do you guys (admission) realize that this process will affect the rest of our life?

thoughts

Guest mtws

Sorry this was a pretty nasty post before editing a minute ago.

I'm a little upset with the process right now. (Just received a 'waitlist' letter from my only other hope.

I have a significant dilemma that I can't figure a way around and would like some suggestions. Here it is:

My application basically looks like this; decent MCAT scores, two undergraduate degrees and a Masters, a solid Masters project published in J.Neurosci, lots of extracurricular, lots of volunteer work. BUT (and there is a but) my undergraduate marks are pretty weak (CGPA 3.33), with my fourth of five years being the worst (2.86).

I can't change that.

My last undergraduate course was four years ago. Since then, I've achieved straight "A's" in grad school - no A-minus's - but they still take into account those bad undergraduate marks. I can't avoid my past in this process. What should I do about that????

Medicine is really all I want to do. What do I have to do?????

I got interviews this year. That's a good sign. I was nervous and could probably improve next year. But I want to prove my newly acquired academic abilities and can't afford (with a wife and child) to go back to school for an undergraduate degree that isn't in the field I want to spend my life doing - ya know? Plus I have a decent job teaching at the local college which I enjoy (but, it's not medicine, and it's not 'saving the world' like some adcoms want to see!!)

Help.

M

Guest stargirl

mtws,

waitlisted at your other only hope being u of t?? didn't you post this morning that you didn't get anything from u of t in your ottawa mail today...sorry if i'm being nosy...i'm from ottawa too and so i was hoping that there was still hope...

Guest PeterHill0501

U of O Med...

Thanks for replying...you have made a very nice offer...

I think a few things :) :

1) It might be helpful feedback for the Dean of Admissions to see some of the feedback U of O gets by having such a closed system relative to other schools. I would recommend a NON-confrontational summary of the points made in this forum and others which deal with the same issues related to U of O in particular and, as well, the drivers of choice for preferred medical school;

2) I believe the value to the university (i.e., more top candidates will respect and go to U of O...they will provide feedback to candidates which can help groom them towards the necessary goal, should the candidate choose to take the feedback...which will inevitably contribute to producing better doctors) in addition to the value to the candidate pool (give them direction with respect to how to achieve their goal, if possible; give a more positive impression of the school and its devotion to helping, caring, being compassionate, etc.; provide them with evidence that if they ever get in the school they will be trained appropriately, given feedback as required and guided to become the best physician they possibly could) should be stressed in the feedback;

3) I think the evaluation sheet filled out by the interviewers during the interview (i.e., with the evaluative dimensions) or a brief summary of performance in various key characteristics would be great...It would be nice to have a definition of what 'good' performance might look like for each of the characteristics. Even better (cream) would be some specific examples from each of the characteristics which the candidate can relate to personally to understand where the evaluation came from.

With respect to providing feedback to many candidates...they have to evaluate each of us anyway...since Ottawa is so e-based, it would only make sense to have evaluations during the interview done electronically...then there isn't any additional work on their part, sauf, sending it to an admin (at very worst...assumes their feedback application is pretty archaic) to forward to the candidate with their electronic letter of rejection...I would personally set up the electronic questionnaire (even web-based!) for them gratis...it would take about 3 days.

I would seriously be interested in having this idea presented to the university...and I would be more than willing to work with you, them, interested parties (i.e., VOLUNTEER) to implement the solution from a technological perspective with no charge to them...my benefit would be to make the process work better for them and to have candidates happier and better directed with respect to achieving lifetime goals.

Thanks again for your offer...sounds like a wonderful idea. Please let me know how I could possibly help out...

Peter

Guest shkelo

It's too bad that Ottawa doesn't have a more open door policy on these kinds of things.

Try a self-assessment approach instead. Although every school has their own admission formula, there are several common truths: (These are my opinions, of course. Take them as you will.)

Truth 1: You need a good, if not outstanding GPA, to be a competitive applicant in medicine. This is the single, greatest barrier for most applicants...and probably the most frustrating. You could be the greatest, most compassionate person akin to the Pope, but if the grades aren't there, it's a uphill battle unfortunately. Assess how your grades compare to other successful applicants. Good academic standing is probably the single most important prerequisite for medicine (and forms the largest portion of admissions assessment). A person may still have good grades, but are still in the bottom 50th percentile when compared to other applicants.

Truth 2: I've said this before in another post, but perception is 9/10th of the admissions process. You could have worked for McDonald's (no offense intended) for 7 years, but if you can sum up a statement that reflects what you've learned from that experience to make you a better person (not just a better doctor), then you get a big checkmark in the eyes of the adcoms. Sell yourself at every opportunity. This includes the interview, dealing with referees for reference letters, the essay, etc... The best, most deserving person doesn't get into med; the best applicant does.

Truth 3: If you are (were) awarded an interview, you HAVE a legitimate chance at gaining admission. Sure, you are ranked going into the interview, but if you score well, it may be enough to get that acceptance letter. Interviews, in general, are extremely important. How else can you explain the fact that a "perfect" candidate for medicine in terms of academic standing, MCAT, humanitarian, etc. does not gain admission. This area may have been a sticky point for you, Peter. (And for a moment, I'm going to play devil's advocate here). It may have been obvious to you (and the posters here) of your enthusiasm and motivations to do medicine, but how were you able to project those motivations to the interview panel. Rather than skipping to the answer as most people do, I think it is important to play the scenario out for people so they can understand your line of thinking. Bar none, this is the most important question in the interview and is usually why it is asked first. If you have a weak answer (or perceived as a weak answer) to this question, you're dead meat.

Critically ask yourself: What are people's perceptions of some your interview answers? My best advice here is to physically write out your answers to 40-50 interview questions (in a speaking voice, of course) and have a few trusted (but honest) friends read them. They may point out ways that you can improve the message that you want people to come away with. What you think makes you look confident may be perceived by others as arrogance. What you think is an intelligent question may come off as a lack of background knowledge for important decision-making for a career in medicine. No offense, Peter, but a few questions that I asked myself about you were: Have you thought about life in a two physician household? What difficulties may that bring? How will your decision to do medicine affect others in your life? Do you have kids (or plan to have children)? When was the first time that a career in medicine became important to you and how did you justify that decision? Academically, how do you think you are going to cope with going back to school, taking exams, and becoming a student again?

I'll give you an example of perception. Money is sometimes a sore point for some people, Peter. Mentioning your impressive annual salary in an interview situation could be viewed in one of two ways: It shows your commitment to do something you feel strongly about in your life and that money is not a influencing factor in that decision, or you're crazy to walk away from an apparently successful and lucrative career in your previous job(s). I'm not trying to pick on you - I think every applicant has to be careful what they say in the interview. These people are highly intelligent and besides taking your word for face value, they are also trying to read between the lines. This is where it is important to really get your message across to them as clearly as possible so that they don't misinterpret what you are trying to say.

Another factor that can't be understated is behavior, appearance, and personal hygiene. I hate to say it, but people ARE influenced by looks, the way you talk, your mannerisms, and the body language that you project. All of these have an important role in their overall impression of you.

Hopefully, Peter, it was just a case of bad luck that prevented you from joining next year's class. Look at all of the components of your application. Check off the areas you think need improvement and focus on those. That includes the references as well. A poor reference is like putting a bullet to the back of your head. Good luck, Peter!! I know you'll make it!!

Guest undercover brother

i just have a few thoughts on this ...

first of all, i didn't even get an interview at U of O so i'm not that happy with the school ...

but i still think there are some issues regarding having feedback ...

first of all, it would still probably require lot of time and effort to send out feedback, unless it was done electronically ...

but it also requires the interviewers to actually write out their comments, and some of it may be quite harsh ...

would those ppl that were rejected not be hurt if they read that their interviewers didn't think they were smart enough, or were too socially inept to be a doctor?

i know ppl want "positive feedback" but instead some of it will probably be negative, unless they take the time to make it sound nicer ...

giving examples of how to be compassionate and caring or how to show leadership also sounds kind of lame (can't you decide on your own?)... if someone suddenly started volunteering at an oprhanage or coaching a sports team just because it was given as an example for a particular quality that would not be too helpful for either the candidate or the med school ... cuz then a lot of ppl would just start doing those activies for the sake of doing it, and that doesn't help them select out better candidates ... it would sort of be picking out fake ppl who normally don't do those activities

Guest PeterHill0501

Shkelo,

Great post as usual...

Here's my personal summary of what went wrong and what didn't:

1) Personal hygiene and project body image...fine...probably more than fine...

2) GPA...fine...3.75 something...I got an interview...

3) Interview

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> This area may have been a sticky point for you, Peter. (And for a moment, I'm going to play devil's advocate here). It may have been obvious to you (and the posters here) of your enthusiasm and motivations to do medicine, but how were you able to project those motivations to the interview panel. Rather than skipping to the answer as most people do, I think it is important to play the scenario out for people so they can understand your line of thinking. Bar none, this is the most important question in the interview and is usually why it is asked first. If you have a weak answer (or perceived as a weak answer) to this question, you're dead meat.

<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

This is one area I inevitably didn't do so well...introspection...planning underway for the next application cycle.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> No offense, Peter, but a few questions that I asked myself about you were: Have you thought about life in a two physician household? What difficulties may that bring? How will your decision to do medicine affect others in your life? Do you have kids (or plan to have children)? When was the first time that a career in medicine became important to you and how did you justify that decision? Academically, how do you think you are going to cope with going back to school, taking exams, and becoming a student again? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

ABSOLUTELY no offense taken...these are great questions and some of them absolutely came up in the interview...namely, how are you going to be able to handle the academic volume/lifestyle again?

My answer (in summary): I've never stopped learning...since graduation I've had to learn optical networking...manufacturing...mechanical engineering...pharmacokinetics...etc., etc., while I'm sure medicine is not going to be easy, it's just something else to learn...I'm a good learner as evidenced by the range of employment I've had and been successful at. Furthermore, my academic background focussed on biological/human sciences...I was top of my school in neuroanatomy, brain chemistry, biology as evidence by winning the "George Bennett Memorial Scholarship", a 2 year NSERC, and being offered TAships during my graduate studies.

Why am I choosing to leave a great job? The answer is quite simple...money isn't everything. I currently make easily as much as most family physicians...I've made much more in the past...money really isn't everything...I personally have to be continuously learning and happy at what I do day-to-day...I belive medicine will give me this...my current employment does not...

Behaviour...hmmmm...this is an interesting one...I believe I may not have come across well here...as I've mentioned...I've been shaped by a competitive corporate environment for the last 12 years...this is an area I feel I need to work on...I believe there is a large delta between the typical "business guy" and the typical "doctor guy".

As usual, shkelo, you have wonderful insight and advice...presented in a palatable manner...thanks for being unique once again...

...I enjoy your company here...

Peter

Guest tutifruiti

Teachers are very very busy, still, they are ready and sometimes happy to answer our question. Sure they wouldn't have the time to see all the students, but remember that not all of them go see the teacher. If we apply that example to med admission process: 123/500 applicants (accepted) won't bother asking the adcom:`" why did you accept me"! People who are sure they did their interview wrong or people who don't care because UO is not their first choice or even people who just don't want to bother admission could constitute an important proportion... Still there could be over 100 unsatisfied applicant. At this point it would be a good idea to impose a condition in order to reduce that number to a managable number: request of feedback should be written within 2-3 day after reception of the letter; requester must, in his/her letter, answer some questions... I'm sure that at the end, the number of those who are really eager to receive a feedbak would be totally resonable. Smart schools (it's just a way of talking, I don't want to impute to the whole school what I think of one part of it) would care about people who are interested in their school. My brother met the Dean of Harvard Med school, can you believe it...

"Lack of time" is a too easy excuse. Sorry if I sound angry, I think that what people on this thread have asked is legitimate and resonable. Maybe Admission wasn't aware of the importance of our request. If U of O med could forward that thread to the proper authority... I wouldn't mind to do it, if he(she) doesn't.

Guest Mark

Getting in to medical school at Ottawa is a huge mystery. I like mysteries. My favorite mystery is the one regarding why the field of medicine is so elitist. To be an almighty doctor, you need intellectual superiority, volunteer experience coming out of your ass and perfectly scripted answers to 'wow' those adcom geniuses, who 'see through' fakeness, because they are as gifted and as perfect as doctors. So, if you get in, then you are a 'chosen one' and are hence better than everybody.

Come on, medicine is a job, albeit very unique, like anything else. If somebody really wants to do it, the desire, if genuine, should be enough; you shouldn't have to devote chunks of your high school and undergraduate life to making yourself the 'ideal candidate' for medicine.

If anything, this whole process of applying and interviewing has turned me off of medical school because half of the people I met at the interviews were geeks who had no interests outside of school and research, and most of the students i met were so frigging arrogant i almost puked. Oddly enough, these are the future interviewing students and students who helped interview me. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Thats food for thought.

Guest mtws

I called.

I know I shouldn't have, and I shouldn't be posting that she told me I was on the waitlist, but she did. Now everyone out there is going to call and say, buddy on the ezboard said you told him. Please don't.

It was very kind of her to tell me, I was going to wait for the actual letter (tomorrow?) to post my status here.

She also said that about 100 are waitlisted. That means numbers 240 to 340 of the interview pool. Going by last years 271 offers that means 31 of the 100 were offered spots from the waitlist. I am no longer holding my breath.

AMCAS accepts applications starting on the 13th of June.

Matt

Guest shkelo

How do you tell someone, "collectively, we don't think you are a promising candidate for medicine"? In most cases, the feedback will similar for everyone and "the rejected" will fall into one or more of the following categories: rewrite the MCAT, improve your GPA, volunteer in the hospital setting, rework on your essay, expand your life experiences, apply to schools that are receptive to your strengths, improve your interview skills. If you look hard enough, there is a successful formula for you personally to help you get into med school. The trouble is that there isn't one quick and easy fix for most applicants. I think everyone who receives a rejection letter is thinking, "What's wrong with me?" The answer is ... nothing. I've said it before and I'll say it again - It is not the best person that gets into medicine, it's the best applicant.

In general, I think the admissions process is fair, but not without its flaws. For example, how does one compare the difficulty of courses/degrees taken in university? Now compare those grades to other univerisities and colleges. How does Music 1xx compare to Neuroscience 5xx? GPAs are horrible ways of assessing applicants, especially since most medical schools do away with a grading system for students in their program. I knew a prof that wouldn't give a perfect grade in his course, citing that no one, including himself, has a perfect understanding of the material. The next day, half of the class dropped out. I'm glad I stayed. It was one of the best courses I've taken in university and true to his word, no one got a perfect grade. There is too much focus on GPA in med school. Personally, I don't understand it, but unfortunately, there is not another suitable alternate that appears to be so black-and-white in terms of academic performance. The same argument goes for the MCAT - really just another hoop to jump through.

The interview is flawed as well. Each interviewing panel has their own flavor to thee and there are all looking for different things. Ask 10 interviewers what qualities they feel are important in an applicant for succesful admission to med school and you'll get 10 different answers. The score on the interview is very powerful, but is a little like playing Russian roulet with your life, your dreams and your future. If you've had more than one interview for medical school(s), you'll know what I mean. Each experience is unique and some you ace and some you bomb - just like job interviews really. Same thing but a different kettle of fish (I need to really do a post entirely of cliches and analogies - love them :) ).

My point is: Deep down - you already know the areas where you can improve your application. You don't need someone to point them out to you. Heck, I even got in but there are things that I would do differently if I had another go 'round. The worst part is some of the people I see who really shouldn't be in medicine and are clueless to realize it. I know it sounds kind of harsh, but there are some pretty strange people out there. I don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't want them feeling my @#%$-a-doodle doos if you know what I mean. "Icky", I think, is the word I'm looking for.

I agree that using GPA and MCAT to assess candidates is not necessarily fair sometimes. But at least not ALL professors are out to get the students, so that overall, GPA can be a relatively useful way to compare students.

I feel that the interview is perhaps the most "unfair" way of assessing candidates. Sure, it is very important to meet the applicant, to see that he/she isn't a psychopath, etc. But there is SOOOOOOO much variation between interviewers that if one who was rejected had a different group of interviewer, he/she just might have been accepted.

Guest bubba

hey mtws,

sorry, i don't understand these numbers that the admin lady gave you.. can you please help me explain this?

does this 100 waiting list number include both of those who got a "good" waiting list letter and those who got a "bad" one? or does the 100 only represent those who got the "good" letter.

if there are 123 seats, would those who are waitlisted represent ranks 124 to 223? assuming they make the same number of offers this year (271) and that 100 represents those who got "good" letters) would that mean that 48 (271 minus 223)of those who got the "bad" letter will get an offer?

thanks,

john

Guest Koolaid

Sir Peter, I feel your pain bro, for I too was "bad" wait listed by UofO.

Although the medical schools will never admit it, they look for cookie cutter solutions. People who walk,talk,act the same, get the same grades and do the same activities. "Oh you volunteered abroad Mr. X, that's great now I can check of volunteered abroad on my sheet and get you closer to fitting into my cookie cutter!"

Unfortunately, things like, working in optics for Nortel don't show up on the sheet, so "too bad I don't know what to do with you" If you ever look at the composition of a class, its filled with the same marks, even similar looks, socioeconomic class, age and bogus volunteering.

The mystery is there is NO mystery. If you fit the mold, regardless of the kind of useless doctor you'll make, you'll get accepted. They will get to check all the boxes on the sheet and accept you.

You, Peter did not fit the mold. God forbid someone should realize that there true calling is medicine after living life and experiencing the real world. I personally think that person will do a better job because they know for SURE that this is what they want because they have given so much to get there (like a second lease on life). Does some pimply faced science nerd who's only experience outside the classroom was when he went on that volunteer experience abroad with daddy's gold card constitute living in the real world....I think not.

Peter, I think your a great guy and deserve a spot in medicine, but I don't know if I would encourage you to keep trying. Maybe its best if you let this one go. I think your the best but there are forces at work here and no matter what a person does, the only ones gaining acceptance are the one's who fit the cookie cutter solution. These people then have the arrogance and nerve to be filled with attitude fueled god complexes because they think they are superior in some way for gaining acceptance. They are not, they just fit the mold to a tee. Its too bad the cycle will repeat itself where these flawed med students will uncover candidates flawed like themselves and then accept them believing that the candidate is perfect just like themselves.

Good luck Peter, I wish you the best in your future endeavors, but I think this one is a waste and I would hate to see you get hurt time and time again because these fools are not willing to look outside their own stereotypes of what a good candidate is. It is a form of racism. Its these stereotypes that plague the process and its existence is clear by the overwhelming homogeneous composition of medschool profiles across the country.

Archived