Premed 101 Forums

Feedback from Ottawa

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

U of O med...

Thanks for the reply...actually, I didn't call...I e-mailed admissions asking for clarification of a potential error and, as well, for feedback if possible.

The response I received from said person was unacceptable, intimidating and worse than any human being deserves. The admissions committees want students who are compassionate, caring, understanding, etc., while some of them (very few in my experience) present a face which is diametrically opposed to that "model".

I have filed an official written complaint with the Dean of the medical school and am awaiting a response. Will it affect my chances at UofO next year? Perhaps. However, I feel strongly enough about this to sacrifice that chance...I've got a great job. I find it absolutely unacceptable how people in positions of power over other people's futures can be so outwardly rude and abusive. My sense is that there aren't many people who would stand up for their rights as a human being out of fear of losing everything they've worked to achieve throughout their lives. Having watched my wife go through residency...I have seen that this approach/attitude is not uncommon in the medical community. You wouldn't even believe some of the stories I've heard (actually, you probably would) or personally seen. People have to stand up for their rights...there is no reason why anybody has to take such abuse.

Will I apply to Ottawa next year? Absolutely. Will standing up for reasonable rights as a human being work against me...perhaps...but there are other medical schools in Ontario and in Canada. I fully realize that the experience I have had is not representative of the meds program at UofO as a whole...in fact, I know this because of interactions I've had with people like yourself. However, would this experience cause me to choose another school if I had the choice? Absolutely...

Thanks again for all the support you've lent over the last year...I look forward to continued discussions.

I'd love to get your impressions of the admissions experiences you had with various schools...if you don't feel comfortable posting them here please e-mail me directly.

Peter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived